PS3, PSP, and PS Vita Store Shutdown Countdown and Recommendation Thread - Update: Shutdown Cancelled for Vita and PS3!

I guess since there’s no mention of it, trophies will still be able to be synced to your account from Vita and PS3 into the future.

Need to review what I’d like from the Vita store before it goes (that is a reasonable price).

I never got to try the game on PS3 by the Katamari guy :frowning:

Anyone know offhand if Tekken 5 Dark Resurrection Online is still listed? Can’t think of much else I might want, and trying to avoid having to use the PS3 store :smiley:

Noby Noby Boy wasn’t much of a game in the end. Maybe check out some videos to get a feel for the experience.

1 Like

Noby Noby Boy is absolutely worth getting just for the heartfelt ending alone. It should unlock that ending the next time you report progress to GIRL online. Don’t miss it!

To my recollection Namco hasn’t developed a project like it in-house since.

Edit: It’s been delisted… Noby Noby Boy – Delisted Games

Definitely read the blog post above about the game’s ending if you’re intrigued about it! And this video of the letter Takahashi penned to players before the game launched.

It was more of an experiment than a game.

Thanks for the details everyone.

Does this make any of you consider going with Series X rather than PS5? Part of me kinda wants to get out of Sony’s ecosystem as a result.

Like, PS3 games going away is understandable given that it’s 15 years old. Wii too (even though that hurt a lot). But Vita? That feels rather quick. The hardware only got discontinued 1-2 years ago. Remember, it’s less old than even the 3DS which still has an active store. And it’s a generation after the Xbox 360 which is also still active and with hardware that’s been discontinued for over 7 years.

Not all of us (especially those of us who like retro gaming) are able to play games when they’re brand new. So when I buy hardware I hope for it to still be functional for a long time into the future. Don’t get me wrong, I can still buy physical games, but all of that DLC and digital only stuff is going to be impossible to purchase now.

The systems aren’t turning into bricks but they are no longer “feature complete” like older systems continue to be decades later. Kind of a bummer.

2 Likes

Poor Vita. One of my fav handhelds of all time and it never got a successor

I guess one upshot to all this madness (er, from a collectors’ angle) is that Vita physical is going to shoot up in value after this. But in reality, everyone still loses…

I’ve already been psychologically pummeled into giving up on micromanaging my PS Vita content after a couple of hours of interfacing with the PS3. Having a 16GB memory card and over 120GB’s worth of PS Vita game downloads is no fun.

The delisting of DLC is a big worry as well. It’s relatively easier to think of games to pick up which aren’t easily or affordably available on disc/card, but it’s a lot harder to think of essential DLC attached to every single game release out there. Especially games which had free DLC released for them that unlocked modes or courses that should have been there at launch: MotorStorm Apocalypse: Free “After Party” Update Hits PSN Today – PlayStation.Blog

I’ve added a new category of content to recommend in the OP: DLC - paid or otherwise.

I’ll make one quick DLC recommendation: The Muramasa Vita port’s DLC episodes!

As for games, there are two intriguing SCEJ PS3 downloads: The Last Guy and Trash Panic.

2 Likes

100 percent, yes. I’m an original PS fan since early 1996 and have owned every one of their platforms. I’ve been planning on buying a PS5 this summer once I complete the grad program I’m in now. But the fact that I likely won’t be able to get one, and the VERY enticing and value-laden prospect of a $299 Series S with GamePass (and all the digital content I bought when I was a 360 owner) is looking super good right now. Being able to tap into two decades of content with a subscription is pretty much exactly what I want as a fan of both modern and legacy content who has little time spend on games that waste my valuable time.

1 Like

By the way, I love that the bottom of the announcement email has this banner:

It’s clear that it does have limits you dickheads.

4 Likes

Yea I hear you. Plus, I really haven’t been a tremendous fan of PS3 and PS4 exclusives. There were some gems here or there, but it’s nothing like what it used to be back in the PS1 and PS2 days. It’s largely similar to what the XBOX brand is offering these days. The winding down of Japan Studio is sort of the opposite direction I want them to take.

I want more stuff like Parappa the Rappa and Ape Escape. Astro Bot is, admittedly, along the lines of that too and made great use of VR. But those experiences seem to be harder and harder to come by from them.

I saw this on Twitter, lol

2 Likes

lol. Perfect.

It’s still on there for 15 bucks.

I grabbed the House of the Dead bundle. These guys hosed me for 30 bucks. I think I’m done though.

2 Likes

Can you buy PS3 games from a web store or do you need to use a console specifically?

You can only use the console now, the web store is dead!

Bought the following last night:

• Pixeljunk Racers 2nd Lap (first game appears to have been delisted!)
  • The Last Guy
  • Trash Panic
  • TOKYO JUNGLE
  • House of the Dead 3
  • House of the Dead 4
  • Bionic Commando Rearmed
  • Various DLC for some games

Anyone know of any good compilations from M2 or equivalent that we’re going to be missing out on? Stuff along the lines of the Spelunker Collection which was Japan-only and something that probably will never be rereleased.

Also got Boku no Natsuyasumi 4 off the Japanese Store, but I can’t download it, kept throwing up an error code even after all other downloads finished, and after rebooting the console.

There’s a PixelJunk 10th anniversary package on the Japanese Store for about 2000 yen from Q-Games, contains all(?) 10 Pixeljunk releases.