PSone Classic - Smaller = Better

I spent many years writing about computer games and I was all mouse and keyboard until like 2002-2003… Halo finally broke me, by playing crazy king of the hill for like two hours straight!

It’s something you just have to do. After you’ve put in the time, it comes as natural as mouse and keys but obviously you’ll play better when mouse and keys are the option on PC.

That’s nuts.

You may like gyro-assisted aiming. It’s not mouse and keyboard, but it’s a lot closer to it than traditional dual analogue controls.

I did actually play Halo on original XBOX quite a bit, but when it came out on PC, I switched immediately haha

Recommended? Oh, just seen the dedicated thread.

The PS1 is more than dual-analogue first person shooters though. In fact, those came very late and are mostly present on the following generation. PS1 and Saturn were all about finding out what worked and what didn’t in 3D, like how to make a platformer with a third dimension of movement. Without an analogue stick, even less two of them. If you played your Doom-likes with the keyboard only, you will get an excellent equivalent with a digital controller, with the bonus of having strafe left and right as dedicated trigger buttons. That doesn’t work as well with Quake-likes of course.

On that note, I got to try Jumping Flash 2 thanks to that PS1 Classic trailer. The controls are fairly ingenuous here, for a game in the first-person view without a dedicated view stick, as it’s more focused on jumping onto stuff than shooting at things. Basically the dpad moves forwards/back and turns around while on the ground, and left/right swap to strafe while in the air, for total air control. The camera also automatically aims down if you jump high enough, to help with the landing. You can aim up and down by holding a trigger and using the dpad, but at least in the first level I never had to bother.

3 Likes

There’s also a wealth of 2D games on PS1, and games that are polygonal 3D but play effectively in 2D like Klonoa or most RPGs.

Gotta use that mouse look, with A and D mapped to strafe, not turn.

There’s no mouse-look in Doom-like games though. There was an optional mouse “swipe” to pivot, but no one I knew used it back then. Possibly because they didn’t have a mouse.
The arrow keys were used to move, Ctrl to shoot, Alt to strafe.

Yup, these are the keyboard controls I remember. Hold ALT, then left and right arrows were toggled for strafing. Hold SHIFT to run, and SPACE BAR was activate doors/switches, etc… I even played through Quake this way, despite mouse look being a thing by that point. Page-Up and Page-down looked up and down, lol. In fact, I even started playing the original Half-Life like that before I realized you NEEDED to mouse-look for that game.

I’m making a very big assumption though. Here we used to call any first person shooter a “Doom-like”, until Quake came around; “Doom-like” then was used for ray casting games with sprites only, and “Quake-like” for games with polygons and mouse-look. Then at some point in the mid-2000s, people forgot about Doom and started using the generic “FPS” term.

Sorry about any confusion.

1 Like

Jumping Flash is great. I’ve not played the sequel, or the Japan-only third game, or the mini-game spinoff.

But I have played the precursor: Geograph Seal on Sharp X68000.

3 Likes

I think around the release of Unreal Tournament (1999) was the first time I heard the phrase “First Person Shooter.”

1 Like

We just called all FPS games “doom clones” for a time, until the genre was big enough that they were just called first person shooters.

2 Likes

Did not know about this game! Cool!

2 Likes

kinda related: what’s the over/under on this being booty buttcheeks?

See Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

1 Like

They finally announced the games list!

https://blog.us.playstation.com/2018/10/29/announcing-playstation-classics-full-lineup-of-20-games/

• Battle Arena Toshinden
  • Cool Boarders 2
  • Destruction Derby
  • Final Fantasy VII
  • Grand Theft Auto
  • Intelligent Qube
  • Jumping Flash
  • Metal Gear Solid
  • Mr Driller
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut
  • Revelations: Persona
  • Ridge Racer Type 4
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo
  • Syphon Filter
  • Tekken 3
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six
  • Twisted Metal
  • Wild Arms

Theres really nothing on there I care about replaying lmao. Very weak list compared to something like the SNES classic imo

2 Likes

Idk. I think it’s a decent list with a lot of variety. What would you do differently?

Going long winded here because I have the time and these are obviously my opinion only.

• Battle Arena Toshinden

• Don’t know it. Hope it’s good!
  • Cool Boarders 2

• Great at the time but I don’t see myself playing it in a post ssx- tricky world
  • Destruction Derby

• Doesn’t hold up imo. IIRC the PlayStation version has horrible framerate
  • Final Fantasy VII

• Great game. It’s been released on every platform under the sun. I imagine anyone who wants to play this already has.
  • Grand Theft Auto

• Another great game but the PlayStation version has aweful framerate/ frame pacing/hitching. There’s no reason to ever play this version.
  • Intelligent Qube

• Never heard of it. Hope it’s great!
  • Jumping Flash

• Another game I’ve never heard of
  • Metal Gear Solid

• My favorite MGS and one of the true GOATs of video games.
  • Mr Driller

• I haven’t played the PS1 version but Mr Driller is a fantastic game
  • Oddworld: Abe’s Oddysee

• Never played the Abe games but I know they are well liked
  • Rayman

• Great series but I’ve never played much of the first. Does it hold up compared to the others ?
  • Resident Evil Director’s Cut

• Fantastic game. I prefer the PS1 version over the remake.
  • Revelations: Persona

• I played the PSP remake and it doesn’t hold up at all for me and I’ve heard it’s the superior version. Fans of modern Persona games will be in for a surprise with this one.
  • Ridge Racer Type 4

• Fantastic Game
  • Super Puzzle Fighter II Turbo

• Awesome game. Not sure if the modern port is better
  • Syphon Filter

• Never played this series but I know they are well regarded. Hope it holds up.
  • Tekken 3

• I know this is a huge game. I personally hate 3d fighters.
  • Tom Clancy’s Rainbow Six

• Ive never played it but early console shooters never hold up well IMO
  • Twisted Metal

• Great game and series but I don’t have any interest in replaying 1
  • Wild Arms

• A series I haven’t played yet despite owning all the games. If there was a game I would load up first when I get mine it’s definitely this one.

Overall it’s not a bad list it just doesn’t appeal to me personally.

Major ommisions:

No Crash,Spyro,SoTN, Parrapa? Get the modern remasters I guess.

No Tomb raider ? Nothing else from Capcom or Square?

No Tony Hawk ? Licencing issues I’m sure and the PS1 versions are terrible but they were a huge deal at the time.

2 Likes

No Wipeout?

Which of these games split screen multi-player? I know Destruction Derby doesn’t (though the 2nd one did)

Very odd list of games.