Retro AV |OT| RGB, CRTs, Upscalers, and more

Why do it this way? What sources does your CRT monitor accept? It really all depends on what CRT you are using. Unless it’s specifically a VGA monitor that cannot do 240p/480i, I would instead just splt the analogue signal using an extron earlier in the chain instead of splitting the OSSC’s output then converting to VGA.

In other words, send the PS2, Wii, and Computer with CRT Emudriver directly to the CRT if you can, without going through the OSSC first. Also, if you’re using a PVM, you could also skip the signal “splitting” all together and simply output from the back of the CRT into the OSSC using the proper cable, using the PVM as a “pass through.”

Of course, if you’re using a traditional VGA monitor, ignore my advice altogether.

2 Likes

Yeah. I have a SD Trinitron and a CRT monitor so I do it this way in order to split the signal three ways to both CRTs and my LCD

Can anyone give me some tips on how to make the PSP not look terrible on a big screen. I have the component cables but all I get is a tiny image on my CRTs because I don’t have a line doubler. I tried running PSP games on a hacked PSTV on my 4k TV but either I don’t have the the image ratio or Adrenaline’s post processing quite right and it’s not great. Am I just expecting too much from a 480 x 272 pixel image?

Maybe invest in a line doubler for my CRT?

the PSP is awkward since it’s letterboxed. a straight line double won’t actually get you much, what you want is something like a framemeister (or the OSSC Pro whenever that is released) to scale the active portion inside the black bars without just doubling the image size. You could also do it in post with a capture card but this would probably introduce a bit of lag.

I’ve had decent success with ppsspp emulator and reshade.

This is to a pc crt.

Otherwise @Vespa had some really good results using the ossc.
See the psp thread for specifics.

I think that was poptart running his PSP Go through the OSSC?: Between low definition and HD, there was 480p!

@dishwasherlove What type of CRT is it, I’m guessing a PC CRT if you’re wondering about a line doubler?

Indeed. My apologies. :sweat:

Thanks for clarifying.

1 Like

No worries! Actually reminded me I needed to test out the PSP :slight_smile:

Great! I’m sure the info you correctly referenced is going to be quite helpful :joy:.

For myself, I think the the 3000 screen is amazing. For larger screens I think some slg or filter is needed to soften up the jaggies a bit.

Very good info, which I had good success with. I have a consumer Trinitron and 14’’ PVM but the output over component is tiny and neither has zoom. Happy with OSSC at this point. Or at least happy enough to shell out for the PSP Go dock.

2 Likes

I have two 19" LCD TVs that have composite, s-video, component etc and accept a 240p signal but interpret it as 480i. I’ve been thking about donating them since the OSSC and Tink products are so cheap now. I can’t think of any advantages the older 19" TVs would have over using a Tink 2X and OSSC with a newer display.

I imagine interpreting a 240p signal as 480i would introduce artifacts.

Yes. Honestly I’m waiting for a TCL TV with HDMI 2.1 so I can replace my LCD. Then I’ll place the LCD TV on a cart behind the bar with a PS3, Wii, 360, and Mister. 4 player local co-op at the bar :slight_smile:

Really good deal on a very good capture card if anyone’s in the market. You’d need a replacement bracket (i jerry rigged mine, but there are 3D printed options online) and the software is a bit janky (though soon to improve, as the company has reached out to the retro community that uses the card).

1 Like

Oh wow, considering what it usually goes for that’s a fantastic deal!

they frequently show up for ~100$. i think i got mine for 100. but 80$ is definitely a steal. You’re not going to get anything better.

I ended up purchasing one of the BKM-129x clone boards for testing:

I should have it in a month or so, I’m looking forward to having another input for my component consoles in my PVM20L2.

I bought a real one recently, how much was that and where was it purchased?

Finally got around to messing with the PSP, with the GBS scaler I’m able to get to the edge at the cost of (I think) 1 frame on a 19" VGA monitor. It has a little softness to it but I don’t mind that too much.

Feels good seeing PSP games at such a size.

5 Likes

I really loved that game. Too bad it got panned on release.