RetroArch - one for many

(reserved for future use)

I’ve been playing a bunch of PS1 games through emulation, and with Touge MAX G, I completed Gymkhana mode but there was always this niggling feeling that something wasn’t quite right with the handling. Not lag, per se, though there was a little of that… but more sensitivity of the analog stick.

It varies wildly between my DualShock 2 (quite slow response) and my PS1 Analog controller (very rapid reponse) being sure to set input to the correct type of controller. It’s even the case with the neGcon - indeed one of the in-game controller setup screens for neGcon is where I noticed something was not quite right.

If I had to guess I would say that the response curve (eg. linear, cubic, quadratic, sinusoidal, etc) is wrong. But I don’t really know for sure.

What I’ve tried:

• polling behaviour: early/mid/late
  • analog deadzone:
  • analog sensitivity:
  • neGcon twist response: (BeetlePSX core option, applies to neGcon only)

What I’ve seen:

• Touge MAX G plays a little odd but I could cope; completed Gymkhana mode.
  • Touge MAX and Touge MAX 2 are so twitchy it’s unplayable, even with my “more sluggish” DualShock 2.
  • Runbabout 2 I found a tiny bit odd but could cope; completed Story mode.

What I need to try:

• analog self-calibration:
  • some PS1/PS2 controller debug homebrew

I am using a USB adapter and putting pads into Analog mode before configuring buttons.

Does this sound familiar to anybody?

Am I missing some arcane RetroArch setting? Do I need a different USB adaptor? Should I use a different controller? HELP

This sounds really odd, and I’ve never had this issue on RA (though I’ve only used 360 and XB1 controllers).

Are you using a PC? Does the adapter use dinput or xinput? You could try changing the input driver either way.

Have you tried using a straight USB controller instead, like a dualshock 3?

Yes, Win 10 PC. I’d have to check! I’ll try changing it.

I don’t have any! Only wireless controllers I have are Switch Pro, Wii U Pro, Wii. But I want to play using the controller the game was designed for.

I’m considering a Brook PS2 to Xbox One USB adapter.

Depending on how the controller reports I may also recommend using some sort of xinput emulation, I used to use Xpadder but I’ve not had to do anything like that for a while (years) so I’m not sure what’s best.

I’d also maybe try other games/emulators outside RA to make sure it is not the adapter itself. Brook makes good stuff, as does Raphnet.

Will try tonight!

Brook PS2

• rumble
  • shipped from UK

Raphnet PS2

• no rumble
  • memory card support (only writing whole memory card so not super useful to me)
  • ship from Canada so import duty

So I now realise that my dual analog grey PS1 controller is still technically a Dual Shock.

Will have to dig out my other PS1 controllers, of which there are many.

Bought a different cheap (twin) PS2 to USB. Works a lot better in a quick test.

Rumble in Windows.

No rumble in RetroArch so far!

Gave up and ordered a Brook PS2 to Xbox One (XInput) adapter, which works plug and play with my PC and RetroArch and has rumble!

Why didn’t I just do this originally? :laughing:

Argh! No neGcon support with the Brook. So I still have to use a different cheap adapter just for that.