Site is updated! Here’s our current week details:

WEEK 41 & 42
Game: Metal Slug X
Platform(s): MVS, Various Ports
Challenge Type: High Score
Game Details: Full Game, 1 Credit, Default Difficulty
When: June 15th - July 5th, 2020
Chosen By: GraveyardDuck

I’ve updated the website with the new game, let’s get shooting!

Good luck everyone, please submit your scores via screenshot or video by replying directly to this post!

RULES

1. Competitions last two weeks, close on Sunday night @ midnight.
  2. Post screenshots in this thread as proof.
  3. The winner from the previous week chooses the next game to play.
  4. You cannot choose twice in a row. 2nd place will choose if someone wins two weeks in a row.
  5. If there’s a tie, the person that submitted the high score first gets to choose.
  6. Games must be high score compatible (think “arcade style scores” like Pac-Man, or Spy Hunter, not Super Mario).
  7. Emulation is okay (MAME is often the best for high scores).
  8. No save state manipulation (pausing to take a break is fine though).
  9. Submit scores as soon as you get them! To keep the competition rolling and fair, do not hold on until the last moment to submit.

Points will be awarded for the entrants, based on the position finished for the week. This is to encourage wider participation, and the points will be posted each week as well as on the website.

POSITION POINTS AWARDED
1st: 10 points
2nd: 7 points
3rd: 5 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
Any honest attempt: 1 point

Overall, we should keep it simple. This is just a good time, not a crazy official high score competition! Game plays should ideally be short and fun so people that can’t invest hours into this can still compete. Obviously we are working on a trust based system here, so don’t ruin it for the others!

Here’s a simple website I made to keep track of the competition.

1 Like

Is external autofire allowed for these?

1 Like

I think its fine to use external autofire if you want to.

1 Like

Aight. With that clarified, here’s my first submission (MAME)

2 Likes

I didn’t know you also go by IMP :stuck_out_tongue:

I played a couple games (PS1 port - which I’ve read is supposed to be one of the worst). Is there a way to view the leaderboard for scores? I can’t seem to find it, lol. After the continue runs out I enter my initials and it just says 3rd or 4th or whatever.

What happens when you let it run in demo mode for a while?

Also, I played the PS1 port and outside of animation cuts, I seem to recall it ran pretty well.

Oh yeah, I forgot I was going to try that last night. I’ll check.

[edit]
…and there it is.gif

Gotta set the bottom score lol, this is the first time I’ve spent much time with Metal Slug games. I was/still am terrible at them so I rarely spent quarters on them in the (b)arcades.

ps2 slim sammich (I’m wondering if this game has extra dithering on ps2 compared to ps1…may hook up a ps1 to check later)

You never really see it on polygons. It will, however, have missing animations and some lower quality explosions compared to the anthology on PS2.

It really is kind of a rough port unfortunately.

I’ll upload a score. This particular challenge is sort of in my wheelhouse :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

I might get the Switch version since the leaderboards are built right in and those Arcade Archives releases are so much fun to play on there. I think I only own it currently on PC via Dotemu which I think is a lousy emulation?

I also have the Wii Anthology I think…

The Wii version doesn’t have the damage flashes when you deal damage to bosses. That makes it a no-go for me.

What stage are you guys getting to on one credit? I am moving next week so I won’t have the ability to contribute until around next Friday or so when I get my games set up again (not much time to practice!).

I’m just curious where people are dying off in 1 CC. On my best runs, I normally lose my first CC on mission 5. But occasionally lose it as early as mission 3 if I’m careless.

Ive been getting to 4. Forgot how hard this game was and yes three can be a nightmare - but the trick there is just to rush through it and not let the soldiers fire off any hard to spot bullets.

Unofficially, the best I’ve gotten is 1671910. Still working on this of course. So much fun.

It’s the second score. Ignore the top score. That was from a five man run.

2 Likes

terribly blurry picture, but managed to improve a bit

n00b Metal Slug question, do the characters have different attributes or are they all the same and player input is the only impact?

2 Likes

All characters are the same although they have different animations. The animations all take the same amount of frames and the gameplay is no different from one character to the next. This changed later on in the series though where characters were given unique attributes.

2 Likes

Alright so I finally changed the F3 in my cab for the MVS board. Here’s my first try, was doing great but B and C buttons disconnected in Stage 3 mid boss so without being able to jump and bomb I lost my first life, ended the run in stage 4.

Going to rewire my buttons properly and keep going at it.

1 Like

The first million points comes so easy In this game. I can pretty easily 1cc the first three stages, but sometimes the bullets are just impossible to spot in 4. Once 4 is masters, I think I can win this, but 1ccing 5 is going to be a challenge.

How’s everyone else finding it?

1 Like

Yeah 1 million is easy, just did 850,000 in Stage 1 alone. Stage 4 is where I get careless and start dropping lives, and the Subway “boss” always ends my runs.

1 Like

3370320 - And I screwed up a few times on easy stuff. Will try to hit 4 million next run.

4 Likes