Site is updated! Here’s our current week details:

WEEK 61 & 62
Game: Q*bert
Platform(s): Arcade/MAME
Challenge Type: High Score
Game Details: Full Game
When: Nov 9th - Nov 22nd, 2020
Chosen By: MikeRotch

I’ve updated the website with the new game, let’s get jumping!

Good luck everyone, please submit your scores via screenshot or video by replying directly to this post!

RULES

1. Competitions last two weeks, close on Sunday night @ midnight.
  2. Post screenshots in this thread as proof.
  3. The winner from the previous week chooses the next game to play.
  4. You cannot choose twice in a row. 2nd place will choose if someone wins two weeks in a row.
  5. If there’s a tie, the person that submitted the high score first gets to choose.
  6. Games must be high score compatible (think “arcade style scores” like Pac-Man, or Spy Hunter, not Super Mario).
  7. Emulation is okay (MAME is often the best for high scores).
  8. No save state manipulation (pausing to take a break is fine though).
  9. Submit scores as soon as you get them! To keep the competition rolling and fair, do not hold on until the last moment to submit.

Points will be awarded for the entrants, based on the position finished for the week. This is to encourage wider participation, and the points will be posted each week as well as on the website.

POSITION POINTS AWARDED
1st: 10 points
2nd: 7 points
3rd: 5 points
4th: 3 points
5th: 2 points
Any honest attempt: 1 point

Overall, we should keep it simple. This is just a good time, not a crazy official high score competition! Game plays should ideally be short and fun so people that can’t invest hours into this can still compete. Obviously we are working on a trust based system here, so don’t ruin it for the others!

Here’s a simple website I made to keep track of the competition.

Alright I’ll go first. I don’t think I’ve played this since I was a kid, and even then I didn’t play much.

Playing with a gamepad in MAME is fine, but I found the controls to be a little confusing until I tilted my gamepad 45 degrees clockwise in my hand, then it was a dream!

If you’re like me and the buttons don’t seem to allow you to put in your name when the high score screen comes up, the proper button to bind for that is the 1P start button.

Okay, I got to level 2!

If anyone wants the fancy artwork for their ROM, you can grab it here and put it in your /artwork folder. It should load automatically when you start the game.

1 Like

I’m finding the game sound effects and music to be a bit buggy in Mame but here is my attempt:

Me too, it’s a known issue I guess. I’m going to try out a brand new 0.226 version of the ROM, but I think that particular sound chip is still in active development, so I’m not sure if it will be better or not.

Here’s some comments from a dev on the project if you care to read up about it:

1 Like

Gave it another go and wow this game gets trippy…

Nice score!

So, I think the 0.226 version of the ROM fixes the sound issue. I just played a game to about 14k points, and it didn’t hitch at all.

1 Like

This game is so hard, but surprisingly fun.

Guess it is that time to update Mame and its Rom set once again then!

Is there a platform requirement?

This is from q*bert on 2600

2 Likes

Yes, you have to play on the arcade my good sir.

Here’s my score.

Not so bad if I do say so myself. Man, playing this game brings me back…

2 Likes

Well, better attempt, but I’m still nowhere close to @MikeRotch

Getting to Stage 3 now and sort of a bit lost on how to progress.

Had a couple more goes this morning and getting a bit better:

Stage 3-2 farthest I’ve gotten.

1 Like

Small improvement… this game is tough lol

Pretty decent game! I messed up hard on the last level though.

1 Like

Man you are making crazy progress!

Be nice if there were more people participating and sharing tips ‘n’ tricks.

1 Like

Yep more participation would be awesome. I’m not sure there are many tricks to this one… at least I haven’t run into any. Only thing I can really recommend is to make sure you make the snakes fall to their deaths for extra points.

Gave it 3 more goes and made it to stage 3-4 now.