SCANLINE SCREENSHOT THREAD. BECAUSE 240p IS ALL THE P'S I NEED. (56k warning)

Yeah the OST is incredible and I actually have a lot of love for some of the background and atmosphere but New Gen. and 2nd Impact are on another level with the background presentation.

Remy’s stage uses heavy pre-rendered assets (also a good example of the switch from stylised background characters to more realistic)

^from 2nd impact

You can see the use of photos in the Dudley stage and if you compare it to the wonderful Urien background you can see a difference in quality. I think there might be some photo use for foilage on Ryu and Makoto’s stage, need to have a look again.

Some others that have 3D assets are Alex/Ken’s, Yun/Yang’s, and Gill’s, maybe some others too (Ryu’s castle? Makoto’s Buildings?).

Ken’s 2i stage here uses pre-rendered 3D elements (bridge, building/building sign and I think the boat) but it’s a lot better integrated with the 2D hand-drawn assets.

giphy
Lots of cool stage intros and stage changes throughout the rounds add a ton of personality.

3 Likes

I’m going to be real with you guys, I always thought MVC2 was a mess. I preferred X-Men vs. Street Fighter and MVC1 over all the other Marvel vs games.

1 Like

Have to agree. I get into arguments a lot, but give me XvsSF any day of the week. The pinnacle of fighting games (especially the music!) imo.

1 Like

Oh man, I need to start playing the first 2. Those look fantastic.

1 Like

I also wished Capcom made the Capcom vs SNK series on the CPS3 Hardware instead of on the Naomi. I think that Warzard and JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure are two of the most beautiful games to look at and play on the CPS3.

1 Like

Goodboy Galaxy Demo | Mister GBA Core | PVM-14L2

Game thread for more details

8 Likes

Just a bit of fooling around - my DMG with its new IPS display and a bit of Aladdin on the PVM20L2 on my - chip SFC

3 Likes

I really like the character designs of this one. Missed out on the physical cart tier though :*(

Can’t play TwinBee Yahhoo and not stand in awe of its gorgeous pixel art. PS1 version in PVM2130QM here.

8 Likes

Can’t get over how beautiful this game is. It’s like playing a painting. Via PSP + component:

7 Likes

I am falling in love with Metroid Fusion. Whatever shortcomings the game has the colours and atmosphere are absolutely sublime.

Sony PVM20L2, Game Boy Interface, Insurrection Industries Component cables.

5 Likes

It’s a fantastic game. Even though it’s more linear, it has top notch level design. I just beat it this week and am already thinking of doing another run.

2 Likes

Yeah - that’s my thoughts too. It’s not exactly what I want out of a Metroid game, but it is a tight enjoyable action game.

I have been mostly speeding through these games, but upon completing each of them I’ve been thinking of the ones I want to go back to and get the most out of and I think Fusion will be one of them.

1 Like

These shots are great!

2 Likes

Sorry for the glare had to snap these quickly. What a great game. Now the painful wait for Dread!

5 Likes

Vendetta by Konami (arcade). Maybe a less known beat-em-up than a few of their others. If you’re a fan of Simpsons or X-men, you’ll recognize some sound effects here and there.
More difficult than others but completely 1CCable. A lot of variety in the move sets of each character and between each character as well.

The music is spot on Konami of this time period aka excellent. I’m a big fan - I think I’ve probably posted pics from this game a few times over the years.

These were taken on a Sega Blast City that I haven’t quite calibrated yet. There are some blurry corners and a little glare.

Bonus Blast City

vs New Astro City

9 Likes

These are great!

3 Likes

Eternal Champions on Megadrive. Hard as nails fighting game. Good luck beatin’ Eternal Champion.
Setup:

1. Megadrive NTSC J HAA-2510 with Scart RGB cable
  2. Samsung CS15k8mjq CRT TV with Scart RGB input (native).

9 Likes

I remember being mesmerized by the fatalities they showed in EGM or Gamepro of this game when I was a kid

3 Likes

No scanlines, but man I love the image in this Ikegami monitor. Slot mask CRTs are ace, even when using S video. Anyway more TwinBee shots since I love that game.

6 Likes