SCANLINE SCREENSHOT THREAD. BECAUSE 240p IS ALL THE P'S I NEED. (56k warning)

This is very interesting. I’ve never really played the first 2 SF3 games and just played Third Strike so had no frame of reference. All I knew were the sprites and OST were just exquisite. Didn’t know they used photos for some of the backgrounds and didn’t even notice any 3D elements. Do you know any off the top of your head? I’m going to keep a look out for them next time my little brother kicks my ass in 3S.

Yeah the OST is incredible and I actually have a lot of love for some of the background and atmosphere but New Gen. and 2nd Impact are on another level with the background presentation.

Remy’s stage uses heavy pre-rendered assets (also a good example of the switch from stylised background characters to more realistic)

^from 2nd impact

You can see the use of photos in the Dudley stage and if you compare it to the wonderful Urien background you can see a difference in quality. I think there might be some photo use for foilage on Ryu and Makoto’s stage, need to have a look again.

Some others that have 3D assets are Alex/Ken’s, Yun/Yang’s, and Gill’s, maybe some others too (Ryu’s castle? Makoto’s Buildings?).

Ken’s 2i stage here uses pre-rendered 3D elements (bridge, building/building sign and I think the boat) but it’s a lot better integrated with the 2D hand-drawn assets.

giphy
Lots of cool stage intros and stage changes throughout the rounds add a ton of personality.

3 Likes

I’m going to be real with you guys, I always thought MVC2 was a mess. I preferred X-Men vs. Street Fighter and MVC1 over all the other Marvel vs games.

1 Like

Have to agree. I get into arguments a lot, but give me XvsSF any day of the week. The pinnacle of fighting games (especially the music!) imo.

1 Like

Oh man, I need to start playing the first 2. Those look fantastic.

1 Like

I also wished Capcom made the Capcom vs SNK series on the CPS3 Hardware instead of on the Naomi. I think that Warzard and JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure are two of the most beautiful games to look at and play on the CPS3.

1 Like

Goodboy Galaxy Demo | Mister GBA Core | PVM-14L2

Game thread for more details

8 Likes

Just a bit of fooling around - my DMG with its new IPS display and a bit of Aladdin on the PVM20L2 on my - chip SFC

3 Likes

I really like the character designs of this one. Missed out on the physical cart tier though :*(

Can’t play TwinBee Yahhoo and not stand in awe of its gorgeous pixel art. PS1 version in PVM2130QM here.

8 Likes

Can’t get over how beautiful this game is. It’s like playing a painting. Via PSP + component:

7 Likes

I am falling in love with Metroid Fusion. Whatever shortcomings the game has the colours and atmosphere are absolutely sublime.

Sony PVM20L2, Game Boy Interface, Insurrection Industries Component cables.

5 Likes

It’s a fantastic game. Even though it’s more linear, it has top notch level design. I just beat it this week and am already thinking of doing another run.

2 Likes

Yeah - that’s my thoughts too. It’s not exactly what I want out of a Metroid game, but it is a tight enjoyable action game.

I have been mostly speeding through these games, but upon completing each of them I’ve been thinking of the ones I want to go back to and get the most out of and I think Fusion will be one of them.

1 Like

These shots are great!

2 Likes

Sorry for the glare had to snap these quickly. What a great game. Now the painful wait for Dread!

5 Likes

Vendetta by Konami (arcade). Maybe a less known beat-em-up than a few of their others. If you’re a fan of Simpsons or X-men, you’ll recognize some sound effects here and there.
More difficult than others but completely 1CCable. A lot of variety in the move sets of each character and between each character as well.

The music is spot on Konami of this time period aka excellent. I’m a big fan - I think I’ve probably posted pics from this game a few times over the years.

These were taken on a Sega Blast City that I haven’t quite calibrated yet. There are some blurry corners and a little glare.

Bonus Blast City

vs New Astro City

9 Likes

These are great!

3 Likes

Eternal Champions on Megadrive. Hard as nails fighting game. Good luck beatin’ Eternal Champion.
Setup:

1. Megadrive NTSC J HAA-2510 with Scart RGB cable
  2. Samsung CS15k8mjq CRT TV with Scart RGB input (native).

9 Likes

I remember being mesmerized by the fatalities they showed in EGM or Gamepro of this game when I was a kid

3 Likes