Sega CD drive FGPA replacement callled Mega SD announced

Ah, ok, that’s good to hear.

Go watch the Retro RGB video reviewing the Mega SD on YouTube. I respect what Bob thinks of a TerraOnion offering . TLDR…it’s a solid product.

1 Like

I have the same problem with space in my entertainment center. I really just want an actual ODE that replaces the optical drive…but this will do.

Krikkz just responded to a few people on Twitter after he announced that his next project after the N8 Pro will be a new Mega Everdrive that it will indeed have Sega CD report.

In his words “I will probably have to :)”

1 Like

Wow, really? That’s crazy! I wonder what’s that going to be like.

Flash cart wars. Whoever loses, we win.

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. I’m going to wait to see how Krikkz’ cart shakes out before I make any purchasing decision.

Here’s hoping he shoots for the moon and implements a 32x core with a video out.

I wonder if we’ll ever get something like this (solid state for cd) for the Gamecube? I’m guessing not since we have the Wii.

Amazing to hear this. In any event, I’ll wait for this to see if he can undercut his competition on price.

I love Krikkz and his products but I suspect his Sega CD ODE will still be some ways off. I can’t wait, so I’m going with the Mega SD.

1 Like

Wow, I’m pretty surprised that’s something he could fit in there! I hope it comes in under $200, but I’m not too optimistic.

I’ve been thouroughly surprised how much attention GC video out options have gotten in the last couple years, so I definitely wouldn’t rule it out!

You know, hearing that I wonder if there is some open source FPGA core for Sega CD or some other breakthrough that has led to this seemingly sudden possibility.

Hmm, I dunno. Did Mister get a Sega CD core recently? The Terra Onion one sounds like they developed it themselves though. They spent years developing it.

Was looking into upgrading to a X7 at last year’s Black Friday sale but couldn’t. Only found out about the Mega SD the other day and I definitely will be looking into getting it instead of the X7. Unsure if its stated but do you still need a Sega CD add-on to operate it? You definitely need the 32X apparently. Still! Pretty cool :smiley:

You don’t need a Sega CD to operate it.

1 Like

Woah! Game Changer then. I can finally pack away my Sega CD II since it is so bulky.

The price is pretty high, but this is really cool. I don’t own a Mega CD or Everdrive, so this seems worth it. Too bad you still need a 32x to play those games, on the other hand, can’t win 'em all and 32x kinda sucks anyway.

5 Likes

My thoughts exactly

It’s definitely worth it considering the alternative. But don’t forget that Krikkz is coming out with his own solution so it might be a good idea to wait (if you can) until then to see how it shakes out.

I’m tempted but I don’t want to drop $300 on the definitive Sega flashcart only for a better one to come out a year later.

I’ll wait for Krikkz if he’s up to something with that. Either way I’ll wait this out and check on the Sega CD library as well.

No 32x support poisoning the device sounds like a win to me. >:C