Sega CD drive FGPA replacement callled Mega SD announced

I want someone to come out with an actual ODE…a drop in replacement for the Sega CD optical drive that will use the hardware I already own. I assume it would be cheaper than adding on a flash cart. I already own a flash cart and I only really need the Sega CD support. With that said, I ordered a Mega SD a few days after it was announced. The RetroRGB video sold me on it.

2 Likes

That would definitely be interesting. I wonder what it would take to make the hardware compatible.

It’s obviously very complicated or someone would have conquered that mountain years ago. For the time being, the Mega SD will be a great option. When someone does finally make an ODE, I wonder which model it will be compatible with. The Model 2 is cheaper, but the Model 1 looks cooler. I think there is more Model 2’s out there, since it was a cut down version to make it more affordable. I’ll definitely buy one when it’s made though.

After waiting for weeks on end for the so called postal situation in Andorra to be sorted, my Mega SD has finally arrived. Is it worth the wait and asking price? Is the Master System FM core actually accurate? Watch on to find out.

5 Likes

thorough as ever, thanks for this! happy this device tuned out good at so many things.

1 Like

@CouryC from MLiG was streaming Mega SD last night. I’m not sure if it’s up on their channel yet (check the playlists).

The FM sounds does sound a lot better than the Everdrive and FM Power Base, the latter is real hardware but filters it.

1 Like

I still think the original hardware sounds best. The Mega SD seems to be the closest out of all solutions mind you. It’s just a bit muffled.

1 Like

Have I heard rumours of 32X compatibility now?

You still need a 32X to play 32X games, but the Mega SD is compatible with loading the roms.

1 Like