Sega CD drive FGPA replacement callled Mega SD announced

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/products/16-super_sd_system_3-pc_engine.html

the ultimate accessory for Genesis/Mega Drive. Complete FPGA recreation of the entire Mega-CD/Sega CD hardware into a plug and play Cartridge

Plays both ISOS (bin+cue) and ROMS

• RAM based cartridge for instant boot

• Compatible with all original and region free patched Mega-CD / Sega CD bios

• Supports Megadrive / Genesis, Sega CD / Mega-CD, Master System and 32X games (requires 32X add-on)

€232.00… not for the faint of heart. But certainly worth it if it works as advertised. Also works as an Everdrive replacement which is a huge bonus for those of us that don’t have one yet.

2 Likes

If you don’t already have a Sega CD or an Everdrive then it’s actually a pretty competitive price. If you do, though, then yeah. But I’ve been super happy with my Terraonion products, so I’m in on this.

4 Likes

Definitely good to hear impressions about their products since I’ve not run into them before.

Also it’s funny that the x7 was the one everdive that I ended up getting last black Friday. Guess it could have been worse and I could have also gotten the sd2snes right before it got it’s new version too.

2 Likes

I have both the Sega CD and an ED, but this will compliment my Mega SG better. Rather than pairing it with the Sega CD. Will wait before deciding to purchase though.

I picked up both the X7 and sd2snes during BF. :sweat_smile: At least I held off on the N8.

This all sounds awesome actually, but I’m holding off for the N8 Pro and SD2SNES Pro probably.

Also, the main reason I would want this is for the Sega CD games to play on it, but I have yet to determine when I’ll get to that.

I don’t have an ED or a SCD. This looks killer. Will wait for impressions… which gives me time to save up…that’s no small sum.

Oh god, I didn’t even know about the N8 pro. The third cart I was going to buy was an N8. Wow that would have been a poorly timed purchase.

My Model 1 freezes and resets randomly so this is very welcome. I didn’t particularly want to spend that much money today but when it’s something this awesome I just gotta.

1 Like

Hot damn now that is a lot of functionality. Great to have all that without the huge bulk of the Mega CD.

Honestly the N8 Pro looks eh to me so far, the cart is ugly oversized instead of normal sized, and the extra features seem meh. The original already has save states which is usually the difference.

Mind you the normal N8 comes in a too large shell too for no reason, I found a quality replacement years ago which was normal size and looked so much better.

I’m definitely in on this, I’m going to sell my Everdrive X7 to take a bit of the sting off.

1 Like

Didn’t the Super SD System 3 have all sorts of problems? And it seemed like (Bob at least) had issues with how the problems were handled by Terraonion?

That said, I hope this means Analouge sees this and realizes how well received their own driveless Sega CD would be.

If any of y’all plan sell your working Sega CD unit to prepare for this is release, hit me up. I’m possibly in the market to buy one out of a desire to continue with my all-OG hardware setup I’ve got going.

The Super SD System 3 did have problems but they were fixed with newer revisions.

Analogue seems to only want to sell things that officially only play physical media. Officially.

I know “someone” jailbreaks these, but that is the front they want present.

Releasing a driveless mega CD module seems to something they do not want to do.

Want this, but will wait for impressions for sure.

I do have an Everdrive but it’s really old and basic now. I’d been putting off getting an X7 but I think now I’ll hold off for this as an ultimate all-in-one type thing.

Price is nothing to sniff at but I’m sure it’d be worth it in the long run!

I preordered,I have both an X7 and Sega CD. This is the last CD console that I havent replaced with some sort of solid state solution. Having everything on one cart is great,I’ve tried out so many PC Engine cd games that I liked because I didnt have to spend time burning cd’s. Also my model 2 doesnt fit in my entertainment area which is annoying.

The problems with the SSDS3 were related to the RGB out. The MegaSD doesn’t have video out so that shouldn’t come up.

There were also sound issues too with the SSDS3, like the buzzing. Heck some people had to mod it to fix it before the latest revision fixed it.

Yes, although the sound output issues were related to the circuitry for the RGB output. This time they don’t have to worry about that, but they did bring FirebrandX in to help out for good measure. I think this will be fine.