Sega Genesis/Mega Drive |OT| WELCOME TO THE NEXT TOPIC

I only played it a dozen or so times here or there renting it at blockbuster. I actually never saw a copy for sale anywhere for a reasonable price.

But I remember normal being quite challenging as a kid. But I loved the upgrade-able dragon companions and thought it was a very clever form of gameplay. Kind of like the 2D platformer version of what Scalebound was going for. Or what Smilebit achieved with Panzer Dragoon Orta.

@Suteneko what kind of display is that? You may want to check your settings if you’re scaling. Those scanlines look a bit misaligned to my eyes.

1 Like

It’s finally here:

9 Likes

Hmm, I didn’t notice this yet. What should I be seeing?

I believe this was a photograph taken from my Sony 20" PVM with some known issues. Though I believe the problem here is more to do with me sucking at taking photographs of CRT screens with any of my camera. Not sure what I am doing wrong but really can not seem to get my camera shutter speed to match the CRT.

This depends a lot on your overscan area to be able to see most of it or not. The top of the GUI can freak out like crazy and there is glitching when you change dragons that can cause micro stutter and tearing.

The Mega Everdrive X7 is fucking amazing, that is all.

4 Likes

Just ordered Twin Hawk, never heard of it before, but looks interesting!

2 Likes

Twin Hawk is a reasonable shooter but can be quite the challenge.

Looking forward to it! Im in a shooter mood these days, played Life Force, 1943 and In the Hunt this evening!

1 Like

Any fans of Gaiares here? I made a review on it, its a great game!
7 Likes

I cant help but think of mullets every time this game is mentioned.

1 Like

Loved that game back in the day. It’s actually quite a technical achievement. It has fully animated bosses the hight of the screen, loads of line scroll effects, plasma effects and some kick ass music. It doesn’t really slowdown either from what I remember. And who can forget the PC Engine CD level cut scenes and intro!
Back when this was released it trully was impressive. Here in Japan the game commands a high price these days.

1 Like

Those ads were pretty funny.

3 Likes

Dat mullet though!

3 Likes

Hi, I love the composite image of my SFC on CRT (with sharpness to zero by the way). The rendering of the effects, the smoothness of the pixel art (less “pixel” in fact), the neon style colors…
I would like to see what my Megadrive looks like with RCA cable (all this gradations and “transparency” effects must look great) but my modded Megadrive EU just does RGB. So maybe someday I’ll take a jap model…
Does anybody know if the composite signal is as good (for a composite signal obviously) as the SFC one ?
Do you know if there is a specific MD model with a better composite image ?

Unfortunately, the Genesis/MD has some of the worst composite output I’ve ever seen (this is pretty well documented also). Between my Genesis model 1, model 2, and Nomad, I don’t think any looks better than the other. They are all bad. I have a CDX as well but haven’t tried composite on it (I’ve switched to rgb for all my Genesis since I got the CDX).
I can’t remember the last time I looked at a SNES in composite as even back in the day I used s-video and nowadays I use rgb for SNES as well. I’m sure it’s better than the MD though. I use composite on my NES and PC Engine, and they actually look really good for composite, especially the PC Engine. The Genesis looks a lot worse with composite in comparison to those.

2 Likes

Thank you for your answer.
I am lucky enough to have a very good model 1 MD so I’m gonna leave it.
My future Famicom AV will be composite. Maybe a PC Engine someday, you tempt me with this good composite…

with few exceptions, gamefan never steered me wrong. so many expensive cult/niche hits now barely got coverage in the day, but so many of those saw love in GF.
it’s one of the few classic mags i still collect whenever i get a chance, they could be messy but were so ahead of the curve

Late here… I suck at this game but I love the music!

1 Like

It was a true enthusiast magazine. I know Halverson has his detractors, but he clearly loved videogames. I got to meet Talko at an EB Games convention in '94 I think and he was a genuine as they come when you’re talking fans of gaming.

I loved those layouts too. They let the graphics of the game speak for it. I really do think Die Hard Game Fan is one of the major reasons the 16 and 32-bit eras will forever be my favorite eras of gaming.

1 Like

same. saaaaaaaaaame. i just adored how much that crew was down to try/hype the weird shit that flew under the radar, or stuff from genres not in vogue at the time (SHMUPS, etc - and man, you couldn’t find a place more hyped for Treasure’s efforts)

haven’t been by the next level forum in a while but man, there’s a thread on there with GF alumni and so much backstroy, it’s insane. really portrays while halverson gets as much shit as he does, but as a fan of victor ireland, i get digging people with valid reasons to dislike. he did stiff too many of them though.

best story i saw was one writer spiking the drinks with LSD and the subsequent Cybermorph review he did on why that one was a game changer…hooo boy