Sega Genesis/Mega Drive |OT| WELCOME TO THE NEXT TOPIC

Some juicy Mega Drive FM synth reimaginings, for those interested in some alternate universe nostalgia.

3 Likes

Anyone here played Fatal Labyrinth? This game is driving me up the wall. I somehow managed to reach floor 29 by using save states so I’m almost at the end, but the enemies are absolutely wrecking me within 3 seconds and there’s nowhere to go :face_with_symbols_over_mouth: It’s just a rectangular room with no visible doors and I can’t find the exit…
The thing is, I actually liked the game until now. It’s my first rogue-like (-lite?) and I love the way it looks and sounds. But right now I just want it to end :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

it’s one of my top ten on the system!! but yeah, it’s brutal and in one of those rare ways save states won’t save you

I’m sure you know this having gotten that far, but so much of beating that game is luck of the draw, especially early on. if you’re getting bumrushed on floor 29 with who’s waiting for you, there’s not much chance of getting around that when a level starts

i know you don’t wanna hear this, but starting all over after taking a few days off is really your best bet. try to only save when a floor is safe too

1 Like

screams internally

Jokes aside, I guess I’ll have to do just that :sweat_smile: Bummer, but the game still resonated with me and I’d like to see the end, so not a big deal.

The composer of the soundtrack seems to be someone named E. Fugu, who apparently did the music for just 2 other SEGA games: Dragon Crystal and Putter Golf.
FLs main theme is beautiful, it reminds me of Phantasy Star a bit:

3 Likes

i feel like i’m going to have to play fatal labyrinth this weekend

3 Likes

Yeah, I need to pull that out again now. It’s a really cool game and totally surprised the hell out of me the first time I played it.

1 Like

So, I went back to the game after a break and decided to give it one more try before starting anew… and I found the exit. I was lucky and found an opening so I had more than 1 second to check the walls for the secret door, and there it was! The next floor was less of a problem, I tried to avoid everything and just grabbed the goblet (thank the gods that picking up the goblet immediately killed everything on the floor!).

Next up was the final boss - the most annoying thing about him was his confusion spell, but other than that I managed it quite well by damaging him and then proceeding to run away for a while until my health had recovered.

This game is really good! It has this very specific “feel” and simplicity of an early MD game. Of course this applies to the soundtrack, too, as I mentioned earlier. It’s incredibly atmospheric:

I was playing it on the Switch via the Mega Drive Collection. Not ideal I know, but it’s definitely serviceable and much better than I expected after hearing horror stories about input lag and such. Some screenshots:

Boxed copies of the original in good condition go for like ~20€ on eBay, so I think I know what my next Mega Drive purchase is going to be :blush:

1 Like

aaaand i’m dead

1 Like

congrats @Klappdrachen ! shit’s not easy, good on ye. i’m gonna give another playthrough soon enough cause of this thread.

if y’all really wanna weep, find a way to play dragon crystal on the SMS. notably similar, but hooo doggie, is that one unkind

I was actually considering playing Dragon Crystal sometime, IIRC it’s even on the 3DS Virtual Console (well, the GG version that is).

Doing a full recap pass on all of my Genesis stuff. Doing a Model 1, Model 1 Sega CD, a Power Base Converter, and a Model 2. Also doing triple bypasses to both consoles.

8 Likes

Very nice workspace.
I imagine that must make it a much more relaxing experience to work on tricky projects.

Is that a all purpose extractor, or solder/gas only?

1 Like

I just got that installed last night actually. Dan Citrus3000psi did a youtube video about making one so I basically just followed along to make this one. I was tired of snorting solder fumes all the time and needed something I could put right where I need it. All it really is is a duct fan hooked up to a microphone arm. The fan runs into a nice big carbon filter to keep all the fumes out of my face. It actually does it from about 6 inches so I don’t have to have it directly over top of things.

It is relaxing. I try to keep the workbench nice and clean. It’s fun to sit down and get to work on various projects.

1 Like

I just looked that vid up, man’s a genius. I need to build this when I get some more space.

1 Like

Yeah he really is. It’s awesome what he does for this community.

2 Likes

The Model 2 VA1.8 triple bypass was a complete success! I decided to try the Leon K install method and then stumbled upon a reddit user (Pepillopev) method I liked to shorten a couple of wiring runs. This one wasn’t terribly difficult to do. The scariest part was lifting the pins on the RGB encoder. I’m really happy with the results. Hopefully these pictures are clear enough for others to put to good use.

4 Likes

Beautiful clean work!

1 Like

Thanks! Next up is a Model 1 VA6.5. Definitely a trickier install.

1 Like

What is the reason for this mod for us laymen?

1 Like

The Later board revisions of the Genesis/Mega Drive had noticeably worse audio quality when compared to the Model 1 (High Definition Graphics) version. Most models also have some noise and or jail bars in the RGB output. This mod bypasses all of that for its own video and audio output. It looks and sounds amazing in person. The audio difference is especially profound.