Sega Genesis/Mega Drive |OT| WELCOME TO THE NEXT TOPIC

Can’t watch the video but I had a few questions.

• So by default most PC USB or wireless controllers are responsible for 12ms+ of lag?
  • I assume this includes LCD display lag?
  • The text mentions Windows running background tasks to increase lag, is there a general guide on maximizing wireless controller performance on PC?

I’d have to see more testing before trusting Bluetooth, that RetroRGB lag comparison is much more in line with my experiences with it, especially the inconsistency. I’m all for wireless as long as it doesn’t come with headaches and lag.

I could have sworn the wired 360 pad felt way snappier than my wireless Steam Controller when I was playing Cuphead and Celeste. It looks like I could have been just as well off plugging it in!

Does anyone know where to source the Triple Bypass Board that Insurrection Industries from for someone living in the UK/Europe?

(https://insurrectionindustries.com/product/triple-bypass-board-ym2612/)

This photo is of some of the more interesting MD games I own. I got most of the expensive games before they were really starting to become expensive. I got Mega Turrican at least more than ten years ago on Ebay. I have no clue why I bought the Genesis version, since it doesn’t work on a PAL machine. Luckily nowadays I have a modded MD that runs all regions and can switch to 50hz and 60hz, so that’s not a problem anymore. The Japanese games are Rainbow Islands and The Newzealand Story. The former is 100% English, but was never released on MD outside of Japan as far as I know. It’s an excellent port, for some reason I always come back to it.

7 Likes

My personal favorites :
Rolling Thunder 2, even if I slightly prefer the arcade version.
Thunder Force 3 and 4, the two best shmup ever for me.
Sonic 1, with his SEGA arcade vibe.
Alisia Dragoon, good and original run’n gun.

1 Like

Games I always come back to are:

• Streets of Rage 2, I bought this one myself as a teen in the 90’s. So good!
  • Fire Shark, this is such an underrated shmup. Love the little guys running at the airfield, the music, the red power-up!
  • Rainbow Islands, as I said it’s a great port of a classic game.
  • Sonic 2, perhaps one of the first games I was really hyped for as a kid. I remember buying a games magazine and it included a VHS tape with footage of an unreleased Sonic 2.
4 Likes

You have great taste in games. Hilariously enough I got Sonic 2 and Streets of Rage 2 on the same day back then.

Just picked up AAAHH real monsters and Bugs Bunny in Double Trouble. Might have to start picking off some cheaper games I want again.

3 Likes

Fire Shark is brilliant. Definitely one of the top five or so shooters on Genesis IMO because it’s so simple and yet so damn fun to play.

Streets of Rage 2 came in December after Sonic 2sday. That was a great Christmas season. IIRC, I got my Genesis earlier that year with Sonic in the box and bought Bulls vs. Lakers and the NBA Playoffs too. By the end of 1992, I was totally hooked on Sega Genesis. I had an NES with some great games but the Sega Genesis still remains my favorite console. What an amazing era.

2 Likes

I bought Truxton (finally!) and Phelios for a little less than what they go for on Ebay nowadays. They were in great condition in the photos, so let’s hope this wasn’t too good to be true.

I also did an impulse bid on Alisia Dragoon last weekend (it had like 20 seconds left when I saw it) and won the auction. The photos were kind of unclear, but the game seemed to be in okay condition. Another one I’m waiting for is the Japanese version of Elemental Master. That one had a stock photo and it was kind of cheap, so expecting the worst.

1 Like

I haven’t played all Mega Drive shooters (yet), but Fire Shark is indeed brilliant. I bought it years ago, since then I’ve been slowly getting into the other Toaplan and MD shooters. I should check the original arcade version some day.

Truxton is right there with it. It’s superb. I think Hellfire is great too. I’m seriously considering importing Twin Hawk.

1 Like

Did Twin Hawk not come out in the US (I assume you’re from the US)? Interesting, it’s on my list to get, since it did get a PAL release and still not very expensive.

I have a loose Genesis cart of Twin Cobra, since that one never came out over here.

I’m sure that may have been from Mean Machines SEGA.

This tape by any chance:

I must have re-watched this dozens of time in anticipation of the upcoming release of Sonic 2!

2 Likes

Yes, that’s the one! Same for me, I’ve watched it dozens of times back then. Unfortunately I got rid of my collection of magazines (including this video) ten years later or so. It’s funny, but I learned English quicker reading these magazines than what they could teach me at school. :smile:

Twin Hawk never came to the US. It was a casualty of the deluge of shooters that hit the Genesis early in its life where some got stuck in Japan. It sucks.

1 Like

Just ordered an Everdrive for this system.

4 Likes

Crossposting from the pick up thread, but I got these two games in the mail today.

I think I rented Alisia Dragoon back in the day, really nice action game with dragons and magic. This one used to be cheap, but it looks like its price has increased since the last time I checked.

Elemental Masters was cheap enough to risk receiving an average quality copy, but except for the torn plastic on the box the game is in excellent condition. It’s a cool horizontal shooter from the Thunder Force developers.

3 Likes

Alisia Dragoon blew me away the first time I played it. It’s a lovely looking game that plays like a dream. Thank god for Die Hard Game Fan and being lucky enough to find that magazine in the 16-bit era at King of Prussia. I bought so many great titles because of them that otherwise would never have known to look into back then.

1 Like

A played a bit of it last night, it’s still pretty good. Looks and handles great. I haven’t figured out how to use the dragons effectively, but it still feels like a solid game so many years after it was released. I remembered I recently read an article about Alisia Dragoon worth reading.

1 Like

Alisia Dragoon blew me away when I first saw it being on demo at a local Dixons store and knew I had to save up my paper round money to buy it as soon as possible. It was a budget £19.99 title in the UK which helped! Really loved the game ever since.

It is a shame that the PAL version glitches out a fair bit if put into 60hz mode so I have the Genesis version of it now. I can pretty much beat it every time on normal without any issues but struggle on hard mode!

Here is the results of my most recent play through:

Alishia_Dragoon_Suteneko

4 Likes