Sooo... Super Nintendo Online everybody?

The new Nintendo Direct just brought the news a lot of people were (impatiently) waiting.

SNESflix is coming to (town) the Switch.

The games announced were:

• Super Mario World
  • Super Mario Kart
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Super Metroid
  • Stunt Race FX (Available for the first time since its original SNES release)
  • Kirby’s Dream Land 3
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
  • Star Fox
  • F-Zero
  • Pilotwings
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • Brawl Brothers
  • Breath of Fire
  • Demon’s Crest
  • Joe & Mac 2: Lost in the Tropics
  • Super EDF Earth Defense Force
  • Super Ghouls’n Ghosts
  • Super Puyo Puyo 2 (Available for the first time in Europe)
  • Super Soccer (Available for the first time since its original SNES release)
  • Super Tennis (Available for the first time since its original SNES release)

The games feature rewind (hilariously shown with super g&g)

There is also another thing. If you are a subscriber of Nintendo’s online service, you can buy Snes controllers for your Switch. However these don’t “connect” like the NES do (joycon style), but are charged through USB much like the pro controller. They only showed purple button versions, so I dont know if there are EUR colored versions. The price for a controllers is 29.99 dollars

So which games are you more excited about, single player and multiplayer?
Joe and Mac online sounds amazing, puyo 2 also

(Sorry for the lack of PICs, but this Phone is awful and it took like 15 minutes for this post alone)

Can’t wait to play Super Tennis - it was criminal that it wasn’t included in the SNES Classic considering the inclusion of two controllers there.

I’m also interested in playing the SNES version of Yoshi’s Island, having only really spend significant time with the inferior GBA port. I’m glad they’ve got Super FX emulation sorted here.

Worried that there won’t be any good scanlines filter though, it really hampered the visuals in the NES game selection, making them either overly sharp/crisp or too gaudy.

1 Like

I do wonder if they are adding more visual fillters of anything of the sort. Nintendo is not M2, and they usually stick with low effort.

I have RetroAtch on my Switch, a SNES Classic and no Switch online. So… not for me.

Does retroarch on Switch support online player?

I’m more interested in the controllers than the service or games. Could this be “end game” for SNES controllers for use with emulation on the PC?

2 Likes

Yes, they call it NetPlay. But I’ve never used it.

Here’s how it can be used to play 2-player Tetris Attack (SNES 9x core) for example.
https://gist.github.com/nderscore/a79486fcd17fca17108b17fc94c6049e

1 Like

240p or gtfo!

1 Like

If they’re anything like the NES Online controllers they’ll be essentially identical to the SNES classic but with ZL and ZR buttons on top.

I noodled around with Yoshi’s island with my SNES classic controller and 8bitdo DIY kit and the emulation seemed good but it felt really laggy. Seemed pretty good in handheld mode though.

Played it a bit last night! At a glance the emulation seems really good. Controls are responsive (Handheld mode) Colors look pretty accurate (from memory) and the rewind feature is super cool. Really happy with this. This really gives their online sub a reason to exist.

1 Like

Yeah, let’s hope the game flow is steady and good quality. The snes has a lot of good Coop and vs games good for that online, plus a lot of rare gems people need to player.

1 Like

I read they’re getting rid of the release schedule and so future games will be as-and-when rather than monthly.

I’m enjoying this as well. Very responsive and the presentation of the games makes more sense because all the boxart is of the same dimension.

Shame the CRT filter is still overengineered but the visuals still look good without a filter due to the increased colour depth going from older systems NES games just looked too crisp and ‘blocky’ without the gaps between neighbouring pixels.

I have to say Stunt Race FX is a cracking game! I never played it before but I’ve been very impressed by how ambitious the handling model and physics are. It would be easy to dismiss it because it’s slower and runs like a dog compared with Virtua Racing but it’s also a much more thoughtful and nuanced racer. Wish there was a 60fps revision of this one!

As for the games lineup, it’s a shame some publishers aren’t playing ball with their series. The most obvious omission is Castlevania being missing from both the NES and SNES lineups, likely due to the recent release of the Anniversary Edition, but at least it means Nintendo gets to fill the gaps with more interesting (to people familiar with big-name games) titles.

It’s worth noting that the Super Famicom app has 1993’s Super Family Tennis instead of 1991’s Super Tennis. You can download it by switching your country setting on your profile at: https://accounts.nintendo.com/login and visiting the eShop (note that switching eShop country wipes any remaining balance)

1 Like

I found these old news that aparently a list of games was leaked in January:

• Super Mario Kart
  • Super Soccer
  • The Legend of Zelda: A Link to the Past
  • Demon’s Crest
  • Super Mario World 2: Yoshi’s Island
  • Stunt Race FX
  • Kirby’s Dream Course
  • Pop’n Twinbee
  • Star Fox
  • Contra III: The Alien Wars
  • Kirby Super Star
  • Super Ghouls ‘n Ghosts
  • Kirby’s Dream Land 3
  • Super Metroid
  • Super Mario World
  • Pilotwings
  • F-ZERO
  • Star Fox 2
  • Super Punch-Out
  • The Legend of the Mystical Ninja
  • Super Mario All-Stars
  • Breath of Fire II

Bold ones are the ones that did not release with the service.

Some of these are excellent Coop games, adding a lot of value to the service. I hope they do come out!

You can play it at increased framerate using Hackchi on SNES Classic.

This is by far the deeper and more rewarding game IMHO. Anyone for Tennis? 🎾

Why play my giant pile of new games, even on Switch, when I can lose three hours in Yoshi’s Island for the 20th time!

They look really great portable and TV. And yeah unlike the Fami/NES they look good without any filters due to the higher density of detail.

Really happy with the launch lineup but disappointed Gradius III is still MIA from Nintendo digital services since the OG Wii VC.

Konami are probably planning a Gradius collection.

1 Like

Friday night was so good. Lost myself playing a bunch of Pilotwings missions, an expert GP in F-Zero, an exhibition match on Super Family Tennis, two GPs in Stunt Race FX, and a few locations in Yoshi’s Island and Demon’s Crest.

The Super Famicom port of Puyo Puyo 2 is mighty impressive as well, only played the arcade and Saturn versions before.

But will they finally bring the rebirth game? I hate the fact that they are stuck on WiiWare forever. I mean, it makes it OK for download and emulate since tecnically you cannot buy it anywhere.