Super Mario Bros 35th Anniversary Direct

There’s a nice psp port in works, 3ds port is up and running. That’s as far as my knowledge goes in the sm64 scene though I’m afraid.

Ah both of those use the fan decompilation, rather than the leaked source. No worries.

I’ll buy the Game & Watch because it’s amazing to revive that brand!

That was my early childhood - hand me down Game & Watches, we were too poor for a console lol

It looks like they have updated some of the textures in Super Mario 64, at least, whether they had artists properly redraw them or whether they’ve used a machine learning algorithm is another matter entirely. The HUD elements suggest the latter.

Regardless, even with the high res textures the game looks inconsistent now, a ‘vintage’ visual filter would have gone a long way.

Super Mario 3D All-Stars is € 59,99 here… Galaxy looked really nice, so I kinda want to play that one and I’m sure my son would be really happy playing any of those games.

1 Like

I’m preordering all this stuff for my (ahem) son too.

Seriously though gripes aside this stuff is pretty cool. Of course they could do something better but I’m kinda used to that as Nintendo fan lol.

The Game & Watch already sold out quick at our main local online retailer so I assume it’s gonna be quite limited in NZ at least.

1 Like

Super Mario 64 comparison video courtesy of GameXplain:

N64 footage is from actual hardware - good job.

The smoke effects are still left ‘unfixed’. It’s a one-line code change!

Wow that’s a cool comparison.

That eel still gets my heartrate up lol.

I had no idea, thanks for sorting that out.

Super Mario 3d All Stars might actually be a limited release in a literal sense - I was under the impression they will keep printing copies of the game through to March 31 but according to people who work for EB Games in Canada they’ve been told to only allot their initial pre-order slots rather than sell beyond the initial run.

Retailer shopto have sold out (and their web page claimed 2166 other people are looking at it)

I disagree with his assertion about it looking a bit sharper than you remember it looking. Using the EON for 480p and then scaling it up to a 1080p video doesn’t look that hot imo and I think they’ve also used EON’s “Slick mode” too looking at Mario’s cap. The N64’s stock S-Video on a CRT is sharper as is using an OSSC, which is what they should have used to make a fairer comparison (my feelings about blowing up a 240p source aside).

This is all I can think of when I see this.

Acknowledging that M64 and Sunshine exist is a first since the DS remake, and I guess it’s a chance for a younger switch audience to play them, but it all kinda reeks of compromises.
When I think of how VC releases were handled on Wii (PAL gripes aside), these seem slightly off.

Why no Galaxy 2? Yoshi’s Island? Why is the G&W Mario a hot interpolated mess?
I wasn’t interested in All stars on the Wii, I’m not now. That Famicom sound > 16 bit sprites.

But then fans are in a conundrum. To not support these products will tell Ninty that I’m not interested in old games, but buying it says “I’m happy with the 60% effort, take my money”.

Now for a limited time…

Grumble, grumble, grumble

Cynicism aside, I hope those of you who get these will enjoy them, and maybe we’ll also get more old IPs seeing a re-release, particularly N64 and GC content.

4 player 3D World looks legit hilarious fun. Can’t fault that.

1 Like

After reading that this is probably just a one-off print run I ended up ordering 3D All-Stars. While I’d still prefer to play all three games on actual hardware, these are some of my favourite games of all time so being able to properly analyse how they’ve been handled (or mishandled, ha ha) will be worth it. Or so I tell myself…

I watched it muted so I missed that part, interesting observation though. Also agreed about the upscaling - 240p never looks great when blown up like that. I was watching the Digital Foundry episode on the new THPS remaster and it did the PS1 original a huge disservice being displayed how they did it. Sure, it was direct PS1 feed but it was a blocky mess.

Still, considering how 99% of the time we always see video creators reach for emulators and output the games in HD, it’s good that the Gamexplain folk used original hardware.

DF Retro is usually quite good at mixing in crt footage so these older titles do get a fair shake but it was disappointing to see it missing from their THPS demo first look vid. Hopefully, they don’t’ forget that for their proper THPS video which I think is on the way.

A lot of media on the net is either emulation or badly scaled footage, I guess it doesn’t help that good CRT footage is hard to record but going back to what we were talking about in another thread it’s frustrating to see it colour the opinion of people who don’t account for a period-correct display and/or real hardware.

I’m still on the fence about getting 3D all-stars, I know playing these on the go is attractive to some but I don’t think that’s a big draw for me. With the incredible Mario 64 PC port out (Full LoD!) and Dolphin being so good I think I’ll leave it (will probably regret this when it becomes rare and expensive).

This is even worse than their M64 comparison. They have over 1 million subscribers…

Yikes. That interlacing.

It’s funny because when I looked at pre-release magazine screenshots of the game I always remember being upset by how ‘raw’ the image looked, there was no antialiasing, it was extremely crisp, and going from that sort of developer output the visuals are literally identical to the new game. I wouldn’t be surprised if there are some rendering bugs in the port.

I think all three games are going to feel like blasphemy played on the Switch’s controllers, since they were such a good fit for their original hardware. Sunshine in particular had very ‘snappy’ movement controls to match the tight octo-gated GC stick, and Fludd was designed to capture the nuances of GameCube’s analogue triggers before you clicked them in.

I preordered the All Stars collection then cancelled it.

I know I’ll never play these games on anything other than original hardware. Nintendo’s limited time offer thing almost worked on me though :joy:

2 Likes

I think I might be changing my mind about picking up a copy. Looking at Dolphin it has an issue where you can either have correctly displayed Graffiti or have the heat haze/underwater distortion match the up-render but you can’t have both sadly.

60fps and Widescreen is so good though, I hope one day they’re able to fix the issue.

1 Like

Interesting observation, I wonder if the HD remaster is running via emulation or is a direct port. It’s 1080p docked and 720p handheld so it might be a direct port.

Nintendo released a few Wii games in China on the Nvidia Shield thing iirc, which is somewhat switch-like and I believe that was emulation. It would be cool from a homebrewers perspective if it is indeed running within an emulator on the switch.