Tetris 99: Arika's first Tetris release in over a decade

It’s a shame there’s no way to use the NES joycons

Got my first victory last night - accumulating badges really is key. Once you’re on top with four badges surviving will give you the upper hand automatically, especially as the garbage sent to you will often give you opportunities to clear a Tetris.

Finally trying this out thanks to the “free 7 days of online” code that came with the special demo of Mario Tennis.

It’s great! 11th best so far.

To celebrate Tetris’ anniversary Arika has added a Game Boy theme to the game - it’s pretty neat! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0ElAHMlzPw

There’s currently some single player DLC available for this, I wonder if that means you can play parts of the game without a Switch Online Subscription. From what I initially understood though, you needed the sub to launch the game.

The DLC does enable offline 1P modes.

I downloaded the game without a sub. I can launch it without a sub and choose the options that ask me to purchase the DLC or a sub.

I did play it online a few times using the one week online trial I got the with Mario Tennis demo.

That’s good to hear. The license check on Switch needs to be handled better, at the moment it only automatically performs updates and license checks on games in the first 12 of your list, so I’ve been in a situation where I can’t launch the NES/Famicom apps just because I was without internet, and it had been over a week since I played them and they weren’t in the first 12.

This is getting a physical release in Japan, though given the unique nature of the game depends on an online server there’s probably no point in picking it up for preservation purposes. But it’s good that Nintendo is seemingly committing to the long term availability of the game with this release, and it includes a Nintendo Switch Online sub code to go with the game card.

1 Like

My wife and I love this version of Tetris. The Gameboy theme is so legit, I only play with that one now.

I’ve won 3-4 times, and I feel good about that. Not sure if I will get any more wins, because everyone is so good now.

1 Like

Just wanted to say I’ve gotten back into this lately and it’s still as fantastic as ever. Arika have added in a bunch of new modes and the single player is serviceable enough, it also feels like the four key “automatic” targeting settings in battle have been fine tuned. When I set mine to “KO” it seems much better at targeting opponents with a filled board than in the launch window.

The credits for the game were finally included in the summer update as well: https://nintendo.fandom.com/wiki/Tetris_99/credits

No surprise that the director from Nintendo’s side is a long-timer from R&D1.

1 Like