The official Retro Core / Battle of the Ports thread

Here we go for the first time ever on Battle of the Ports, a game that does not have an arcade version. Yes, after 265 shows we are now starting to look at ports not from the arcades. This does not mean the arcade ports are done with, oh no! I have so many more arcade game to home ports to cover but every now and then none arcade based shows will appear :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I guess this means you can do Paperboy 2 then. Also, I’m gonna check that Wolf Child vid out soon, I always wanted to play that game.

TMNT next then (NES, ST, AMIGA, C64, AMSTRAD ETC)

Yep, paperboy 2 is possibility

I’ve just released a review video on the New Bittboy that plays a lot more than just Gameboy stuff.

1 Like

This may just be the largest Battle of the Ports yet!

1 Like

Finally, an actual SNES clone with HDMI out. But is it any good?

Before the Neo Geo SNK were still making many great arcade games. Beast Busters is one of them. Released just 1 year the Neo Geo was released, this game features the SNK scaling sprites trademark. Sadly this was only ever ported top two systems. Let’s check them out.

1 Like

The RS-97 is the go to system for an affordable worthwhile Chinese handheld but it wasn’t without it’s problems. The system really needed to be modded to get the most from it.
Well, now the makers are back with an all new model (called the Q9, apparently) that promises to be much better than the original and it is. Watch on to find out why.

1 Like

A game loved by many for it’s technical marvel but not for the gameplay. Strangely Shadow of the Beast was ported to many systems. Let’s check them out.

1 Like

Loved this episode. I’ve always been intrigued by this game, maybe because of the hype it got as an Amiga game back in the day, with nine million layers of parallax scrolling. You mention the PC Engine being the way to go, would you say it’s actually worth playing on PC Engine, or is it just that the PCE port is the best of a game that’s not worth experiencing at all anymore?

It’s amazing how back then this game really was revered and yet it played so poorly. I rented it one time on Sega Genesis and it was a total letdown. That PC Engine CD version sure does look much more playable by comparison, but it still has that UK games feel of the time which really was just way too hard and quirky.

I wouldn’t say the PC Engine version is an excellent game compared to Japanese games of the time but it is playable. You’ll still find plenty to annoy you though. It is still an 80s Euro computer game after all.

Agreed. The PC Engine version while being the best of all ports is still a Euro computer game in design. Those mostly university suck balls for people who grew up playing console games.

The original Ghostbusters was a great move. I was 10 years old when it came out. I actually saw it at the cinema back then. Then came the cartoon show, The Real Ghostbusters. I loved the first season of that too. Then came the game. Well, to those who lived in the US. In the UK it was quite a rare cabinet and in Japan it wasn’t even known as a Ghostbusters game. Funnily enough the game got a few ports. Let’s check them out.

This week on Battle of the Ports we are going to take a look at one of the earlier cart racers which first appeared on the Super Nintendo. This is Street Racer.

Saturn version is the most mesmerizing. It’s the way the clouds rotate when you turn in combination with the 60fps presentation.

Very cool looking game that, until you posted it here, I didn’t even know existed.

1 Like

Yeah, I know. I’m late to the party on this one but what an awesome controller this is. And best of all, it has a secret. Watch until the end to find out what.

Everything new should have usb c, not so much because they need it, but so we can move past god damn legacy usb as fast as possible.

That being said, think that controller will be my first purchase from 8bitdo. Only thing holding me back is hearing about some sort of firmware update that is annoying to do.

No update needed on my one. Works perfectly fine.