The Ripping Thread - How to build your own legit retro ROM library.

Dumped the Street Gangs (European name for River City Ransom) ROM from the 3DS VC, but the intro screen seems messed up. Any way of fixing that? As far as I know this is a special 60Hz version of this game while the original EU version runs the usual 50Hz.

On the 3DS there is a file named “…EU_patch” so my guess is that this needs to be implemented for it to work. Anyone knows if that’s possible at all?

1 Like
3 Likes

Nice!

I might have to make a few of these

Oh wow, this is incredible, thanks for sharing! I just grabbed an Evercade, and this is awesome.

Has anyone tried extracting data from the new “Atari 50” collection?

Apparently you can use the same software as when you are extracting the Cowabunga Collection (BTW you can extract the games from the Cowabunga Collection)

1 Like

Oh, that’s fantastic, thanks! I’ll be sure to buy both on PC now!

1 Like

Seems like it’s possible to dump the games from the Sega Genesis/ Mega Drive Mini 2:

2 Likes

Not sure I knew it was possible to dump from the first one!

Sure is. As well as NES, SNES and PlayStation Classic. And since the TurboGrafx-16 Mini recently got some new updates on the hacking front, I would not be surprised if it’s possible to extract ROMs from it as well in the near future.

I hope there’s a way to convert the Sega CD games to bin/cue soon.

Wouldn’t this work?

https://wiki.recalbox.com/en/tutorials/games/guides/playstation-1/convert-disc-files-to-bin+cue

The issue is the extracted CD games are compressed and their decompression is yet to be figured out.

Or maybe it has been?

Retro-bit Super Retro-Cade

Using a USB to UART adapter with male to female jumper wire you can dump all of the included games. Even though you can, there is no soldering required to do this.

Use TeraTerm (PuTTY or other terminal emulators probably work as well), Set the port to the correct COM (COM1, COM2, COM3, etc. depending on your USB port), Baud rate/speed to 115200 and language to UTF-8.

Backup the games to a FAT formatted SD card using the following command: cp -r /system/media/GAME/ /storage/extsd/

Based on this tutorial: レトロビットジェネレーション2からのROMバックアップ : 発明の友

2 Likes

THEC64 Mini

Since I already had this adapter, I figured i would try it on THEC64 Mini as well.

Using the USB to UART adapter with male to female jumper wire you can dump all of the included games as VSF’s (Vice Snapshot File). No soldering required.

First, format a USB stick to FAT32 with the partitioning scheme MBR. I used Rufus.

Then, connect the correct pins to the right holes (DON’T USE THE 3.3V PORT).

Use PuTTY (or other terminal programs) and set the serial port to COM (and the correct USB port number. Mine is set to COM5). Baud rate/speed to 115200, Data Bits = 8, Stop Bits =1, Parity = None and Flow Control = None.

To log in, use the username: ‘root’ with the password ‘chuckpeddle’ and mount your USB stick using the command: mount /tmp/usbdrive/sda1 /mnt

To backup the NAND use the command:
cp /dev/nand* /mnt

To backup the games use:
cp /usr/share/the64/games/games/* /mnt

Unmount the USB stick using: umount /mnt and shut down with the command poweroff

You should now have the games as zipped .gz files. Unzip them and use them in something that uses the VICE emulator.

This is based on the information I found here and here

2 Likes

PlayStation 1 & 2 BIOS extract from a free PS3 firmware update file

• the bios extracted from the latest 4.89 firmware only support fast boot
  • not mentioned in the video: bios extracted from older versions of firmware, 3.73 and prior, support full boot
3 Likes

Hello,
Thank you for this guide however I am also having issues with the python command prompt. I am getting an invalid syntax when I hit enter. There is a space between wiimetadata and nandextracteda command prompts. I followed instructions exactly. Any help would be appreciated.

MB

What’s the error?

1 Like

SyntaxError: Invalid syntax