The Sunday Night Shmup thread

Am I doing this right!?

Imgur

7 Likes

Nice cabinets! Love Progear, my CPS2 for the game was phoenix’d years ago by Razoola (not sure if he’s still around) after the battery died. Still have yet to play Pink Sweets.

Tonight I’m playing more Zero Gunner 2 in between random titles on the Darius collection.

1 Like

Darius Gaiden is so much fun, difficulty feels much more balanced than the other games, weapons don’t take forever to get nicely powered up which also helps a lot. Looks great with scanlines too of course.

Edit: Hmmm, Darius Gaiden doesn’t seem to be saving my high scores, not sure if this is an issue with the other titles. Anyone else with the Darius Cozmic Collection not seeing their scores get saved to any of the in game/offline leaderboards?

2 Likes

Both absolute gems, you have refined tastes @bodine1231.

Shumps are a genre I play from time to time, only managing to 1CC one of them(Bio Hazard Battle) but now I plan to play a lot more of them, I have 20+ listed to do.

1 Like

You picked a pretty solid game to beat, though! Bio Hazard Battle is one I need to go back to. I love the weird alien bug aesthetic, and the unique soundtrack. Good atmosphere in that game.

Just found out about this one tonight, on the Amiga. Haven’t played it yet, but that music!

And some gameplay if anyone wants to check it out:

3 Likes

Tasty as bass lines in that soundtrack.

Played through 3 full routes of Darius Gaiden tonight. Pretty sure its solidified itself as my favorite hori shmup, and my favorite of the Darius series. Everything just fits together perfectly for me, the spritework and graphic design, a tough but fair difficulty curve, and of course that amazing Zuntata soundtrack.

3 Likes

Darius Gaiden is definitely my favorite on the Darius collection so far, like you said the difficulty is nicely balanced. Looks great on that TV! Saturn or other version?

I’m playing the ps2 Taito Memories 2 version because I wanted to use the Namco Arcade Stick. I own the Saturn version, but no arcade stick for it.

1 Like

Tonight’s Sunday Night Shmup is Gun Nac for the Famicom/NES:

Semi manic comical shooter by Compile featuring their trademark weapon system, the company takes a break from their more serious themed fare such as the Aleste series and this time has you fighting mecha rabbit enemies in space and on the moon (of course). This game really pushes the NES with fast gameplay and a lot of bullets considering the hardware it’s on.

1 Like

I still need Taito Legends 1 and 2!

Yeah, they’re worth getting, but they’re hard to find. Metal Black is on there too!

2 Likes

I really want to play Metal Black! I’ll try amazon and ebay for those games.

Zero Gunner 2!.. and :laughing: at the special edition.

https://www.play-asia.com/psikyo-collection-vol-3-multi-language/13/70cdrt

https://www.play-asia.com/psikyo-collection-vol-3-limited-edition-multi-language/13/70cds3

3 Likes

Has Strikers 1945 III hit the Eshop in the US yet?

Honestly that is the only game I want on that list.

Not Sunday,but everyday should be shmup day

5 Likes

I love Ikaruga…

Not yet. Hopefully soon.