The Super Nintendo |OT| Thread - SNES is what SEGAIN'T

Is there any place you can buy the SNES Classic controllers without buying the console itself? I tried it at a friends house and those pads are lovely, but I have no desire for the box.

In Japan’s Club Nintendo, one of the giveaways were SFC controllers that can be used as classic controllers when hooked up to a wii remote. You can still grab them on eBay:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=club+nintendo+snes+controller&_sacat=0

They used to be much pricer (around 80 bucks) but the price has come down since the SNES classic released. I haven’t used it personally, but I’d be shocked if it weren’t of equal or better quality to what is being sold with the SNES Classic.

2 Likes

I miss Club Nintendo so much.

1 Like

Has anyone played the Last Bible games?

I’m an hour in, so just started, Last Bible III via a translation patch. It seems somewhat obscure so interested if others have played it. Appears it was released on Wii U also.

Worth playing? It seems interesting, but some aspects (satchel, magic, item/mineral combinations) seem confusing. Perhaps they will clear up after playing more?

(edit) wait, these are megami tensei games? (based on link URL below) sorry, tired, long day.

Maridia in Super Metroid sucks right? It’s been a few years since I last beat SM and I don’t remember having this much trouble traversing this area like I am now. Holly shit, I legit loathe this whole map area from top to bottom. The layout, the grappling, and the god awful quicksand. Just kills my ability and drive to progress.

It’s not too bad. Definitely slows things down at first though.

Played about an hour of Super Mario World today with my daughter. She’s getting better, made it to vanilla dome (I played the ghost house and castles). Best secret metroidvania?

Haha, Ben Elgin on the Retronauts podcast always jokes that SMW is a Metroidvania.

1 Like

Yep, that’s where I got it from. Tossing it out to see about a response. Well played sir!

I’m not sure I completely agree but it’s not far off. Castlevania OoE is one of the closest I’ve played with the separate levels and lack of one main castle/area.

1 Like

Nice. Wondered if that was your reference!

I got past it, finally. The space jump really makes the place a non issue. lol

So I also beat the whole game. I still maintain its the best SNES game for me but Maridia is a chore without the space jump.

I now moved on to Yoshi’s Island on my Super Nt…

This shit POPS!

OMFG! I forgot about the dizzy puffy things. They caught me off guard, and suddenly Yoshi’s high as a mother fucker and the music started hitting very high notes. I couldn’t play the game from how hard I started laughing. Fucking LOL!

1 Like

snespads

Just swapped out the silicone membrane on the Super Famicom gamecube modded pad with parts from this eBay listing and I’m impressed with how the d-pad and buttons feel vs (worn) OEM parts and the SNES Classic Mini replica pad.

s-l1600

Interestingly enough you get another set of d-pad and face button silicone pads (white), alongside the other parts, that are described as ‘stiffer’ and they feel really great. The d-pad snaps back into position quicker than OEM/Classic and the same goes for the buttons. I don’t really have a problem with mushy buttons but a worn d-pad does bother me a little. I also briefly checked out the other parts and they hardly seem to be an improvement over the stock parts.

++ Firm d-pad silicone has no mushy feeling (firmer than a new SNES Classic mini d-pad)
++ Firm face button silicone is crisper than the slightly dampened feel of OEM/SNES-C mini buttons
++ d-pad ‘rattle’ is reduced with the stiffer silicone

= I can imagine Quarter/Half/Full circles being more difficult to execute on a firmer d-pad
= Buttons are a little louder (no dampening)

– Start/Select rubber is black and not grey like OEM
– L and R silicone feel as soft as the worn L and R they were meant to replace
– the regular replacement (non- ‘Stiffer’) d-pad/button silicone is just about adequate

I also opened up the SNES Classic mini pad and was surprised to see a slightly different L/R shoulder setup. There’s now a circular hole for the silicone plungers to sit in and it looks like they’ve compacted the silicone holders which I think feels really good. Although the L and R buttons no longer have the metal pivot and combine an all in one plastic design that might not be as durable.

The SNES Classic mini controller is actually closer in feel to the og GBA face button and d-pad feel I think which is impressive, only minor thing I don’t like about it is the textured plastic body vs the original smooth one.

What’s left to be determined is if these replacement parts are durable over long term and to see how the firmness holds up.

3 Likes

I never knew this was a thing. Pretty easy to play without JP knowledge?

I used an English translation patch (playing via SD2SNES). Unfortunately I haven’t played it much since. The main gameplay would be easy without knowing Japanese but there are parts where you have to go to certain stages to advance the story. The ‘overworld’ is kind of like Super Mario World with the different levels you can go to and go back to. I would think a gamefaqs guide or something could suffice.

I finally beat Dr. Wily’s Phase 2 in Mega Man 7 without using an energy tank…that was just insane, I literally dropped my controller in awe after doing that, lol. That fight does not mess around, you need to be nearly perfect to stand a chance!

1 Like

Got my tax returns and said screw it the time is now I bought Earthbound been eyeing it a long time,but the price was a put off. Also nabbed Breath of Fire 1&2 grabbed Adams Family Values aka Festers Quest 2.

3 Likes

Nice! Carts or CIB? :thinking:

Loose carts. Miss the days were you could buy something like Earthbound complete at a reasonable price. Remember thinking $100+ for a game was crazy, if we only knew.

So true. I bit the bullet on EB CIB about 5 years ago and it cost me nearly $400 USD including shipping to New Zealand. Our exchange rate was definitely better back then too! Don’t regret it at all :sweat_smile: