The Super Nintendo |OT| Thread - SNES is what SEGAIN'T

I was trying not to spend any more money on games for a while and then a snes bundle with Super Metroid, Turtles and Time and Majora’s Mask pops up in my area.

Rip my poor wallet

1 Like

Not a bad lot was it expensive?

I’ve gotta see Majora’s Mask on SNES. Never heard of it before :rofl:

They want $10 Per game of $150 for the lot. It’s about 17 snes games with the 1 n64 game

Hmmm what games if you don’t mind? those 3 games alone is worth roughly $90 all loose.

Ended up picking up 10 games
Super double dragon
Super Mario kart
Super metroid
Two copies of donkey Kong country
Super Mario world
Turtles in time
Super Mario all stars
Doom
Majoras mask

Got them for 100

Plan on selling the three Mario games and one of the donkey Kong since I already own them but these are in way better condition than my original carts. These are pretty much mint.

Nice haul! Around $230ish worth total if all lose carts!

My fiance and I played and completed Kirby Super Star: Spring Breeze on Super Nintendo. Really fun game but such a weird way to introduce co-op mode :smiley: We haven’t played a Kirby game before so the game felt frantic at first but we eventually got the hang of it.

1 Like

Beat Wily’s Phase 2 in Mega Man 7 again, but this time not only it was no E-tanks but it was also buster only…yeah I’m a mad man. Well, I think I should do this game for Youtube as I have yet to do a Mega Man game on there(or a different one), but I don’t know when that will happen. That fight is insane like that, lol.

Hi Res Mode 7

1 Like

I have to wonder if that is something Kevtris could implement into the Super NT. The difference is pretty crazy.

Apparently so, if there’s enough free space in the FPGA.

Same goes for MisTer. I reckon Alexei will get there first on FPGA.

I just noticed the materials packed with Illusion of Gaia…actually spoil all the bosses. The world map that doubles as an enemy guide lists all the bosses (I assume), even the final boss. Whats up with that? I do appreciate the size of the manual though.

People didn’t really start getting mad about what today we call “spoilers” until pretty recently. It wasn’t unusual for film trailers or film reviews to give away the ending of the film, for book jackets to describe the ending of the book, for game screenshots in magazines to show shots from the ending, etc. The more limited choice of content also meant that even if official stuff didn’t “spoil” you, people would be talking about it the next day anyway. Thinking back to all the big TV cliffhangers (I was not born for “Who Shot JR?” but remember “Best of Both Worlds”), we just talked about them in person the next day, but also TV Guide Magazine mostly had coverage of them in advance anyway hahaha.

Prior to about 2005 the only time I recall people complaining about spoilers is when they used their VCR to record a sports game and wanted to watch it later that night – a situation famously lampooned in a Seinfeld episode.

1 Like

I lived through those years and I wouldn’t say that spoilers were rampant. You just didn’t have the Internet to find them immediately. Manuals were always more helpful in general, and a game like Gaia definitely seemed more complex then than it is today. Nintendo has always been aware that their games were made for people of all ages so I’m sure that’s why the manual is a little more helpful for the final boss.

I just looked and the manual specifically tells you there are spoilers ahead too…
https://www.retrogames.cz/manualy/SNES/Illusion_of_Gaia_-SNES-_Manual.pdf

@Peltz given your love of Kirby’s Dream Course, are you aware of its predecessor?

2 Likes

I’m not… looks interesting!

I love when projects evolve like this and you can learn about their history. Too bad Nintendo won’t release any Satellaview ROMs. It’s a bummer that they mostly ignore that part of their history.

1 Like

I’ve been playing Umihara Kawase lately - the original was my least-played game in the series and I plan on fixing that.

I’m guessing the game did not have any assist chips in the cartridge, which makes the physics programming even more impressive. It’s still the fastest-playing game in the series to date which adds to that impression of speed and optimisation.

I think I might like this one as much as Kawase Shun on PS/DS - it has the same minimalist design (the seconds-long tutorial intermissions are just the best) but with a different approach to level design thanks to the faster physics.

The original is the only one I’ve ever played. Have the cart for Super Famicom.

I find it incredibly hard :sweat_smile:. You really need to finesse the physics to progress in ways I have yet to master. It takes touch.

Yeah, it’s very much a Super Mario 64 in the sense that the platforming physics and controls themselves are the expression of mastery.

Did you pick up the 3DS/Vita game? That, or the Switch release, are probably much better for familiarising yourself with the controls. The pace of the physics is “looser” (or slower), which should help a lot.