The things you cant find thread

A 20" 31khz PVM/BVM. Basically impossible to find in Australia even before prices went bonkers.

I should just be thankful I scored my 20L2 and stop pining for another one.

2 Likes

I hope you get one! It was my holy grail for years.

2 Likes

I’m just trying to find a DSi XL hand grip. There’s nothing out there in the last couple weeks of searching, just old “sold out” listings on Amazon of the CTA version. I may look into paying someone local to 3D print one I found on thingyverse, not sure if it’s any good though.

Are you me? Same in NZ. Saw one once about 10 years back and they wanted several thousand for it. They withdrew the ad for sale and never seen one since.

1 Like

Aardvark Software text adventures, especially with the windowed envelope packaging.

2 Likes

I can tell that’s rare just by looking at it lol

That’s really cool… what systems did they produce titles for?

Various early computers (TI, TRS-80, Vic 20, C64). Some were originally published by Mogul in the UK with different box art in regular tape cases. I have come across a few of those for sale online but I want to get the NA versions I had back in the day.

I just picked up a complete UK copy of power strike. I’ve heard the SMS is region free. I guess I’ll find out in a few days when my game arrives. Fingers crossed a PAL cartridge works on my SMS.

1 Like

There are some PAL SMS games with issues on NTSC systems but Power Strike should be fine. I’m pretty sure the cartridge is the same and only the box is different.

Yup, it will work fine. Congrats on the find!

1 Like

never really even heard f them till you mentioned it here

Where are you located? I have found most of the old computers I wanted over the years without much issue, but the trouble can be finding them at a decent price.

I’m in the Vancouver area. I don’t have any room to add more hardware but I do still have the Commodore computers. I think some of those games might work on multiple computers anyway as they’re written in BASIC.

Even when I bought those games in the '80s, they seemed obscure tucked away in a Compucentre clearance bin. If I do come across them today on ebay or something, I have no idea if they will be way too expensive due to rarity or cheap due to lack of demand.

Yeah it would be cool to see them in the wild for sure. It’s kind of a shame that BC doesn’t really seem to use kijiji, as I find it’s easily the best platform for finding retro stuff. eBay is always international, and the amount of people bidding really drives up the price. Kijiji is just a conversation between you and the seller, so you can eek out much better deals with bargaining.

As for compatibility across the old Commodore computers, they’re really not compatible at all, unfortunately. Most of the games back then were written in Assembly, not BASIC.

The Commodore 128 has all the C64 hardware inside it, so you can enter into C64 mode and play anything for the C64, but other than that, you need the appropriate machine. (VIC-20, C64, Amiga, etc).

Most Amiga games work on all Amiga computers, but there are some written specifically for the Enhanced Chipset (ECS) found in the 500+, 600 and 3000, and also some later model Amiga 500s and 2000s. There are also games written specifically for Advanced Graphics Architecture (AGA), which is found in the 1200 and 4000.

I think the C64 versions of these text adventures were written in BASIC. I could easily view the code if I got stuck and needed to cheat (unlike the more advanced Infocom stuff).

I have the same issue except with arcade boards. Every new one that comes in requires a reorganization of my storage closet.

Another arrives today…where will I put it? Sigh

How’s the gaming scene in BC? I used to live in Whistler during summers coaching skiing on the glaciers. Years ago but I loved being up there

Yeah they very well could be, for sure. I still don’t think they would be compatible with a machine they weren’t written for though.

I’m not sure, I’m in Alberta. :slight_smile:

@NeoZeedeater could probably answer you though!