Video Game Music |OT| - Not just Robot Farts and 5-Second Loops!

Castlevania tunes transposed from major to minor key.

Click on the Happyvania title to see the rest of the songs. There’s quite a few
It really brightens up the castle

1 Like

This fun and had me smiling. (Think you meant transposed the other way around from minor key into major.)

1 Like

Amazing!

I have the biggest grin right now.

Cheers!

With all the Link’s Awakening hype, this is a great analysis of the classic musical themes which are reworked in LA.

Other good episodes:

Perhaps a little off topic and a possibly already well known, but I was listening to some Japanese jazz albums recently and came across this. Had to take a double take and make sure it wasn’t a remix of a certain Sega racer!

2 Likes
1 Like

some honest Cotton 2 tunes … I think I now hate that pic it’s like I’m promoting the damn headphones >.>. ah well. Freshly uploaded

fancy something a bit more metal?

I love the Lotus Turbo Challenge II music on the Amiga.

I also always thought this was one of the better music tracks on the SNES. SO catchy!

1 Like

Alpine Racer. omg I want this OST on vinyl so much :frowning:

so good…

Nightmare in the Dark, Neo Geo

Yuzo Koshiro discusses what led him to making game music, in English!

1 Like

Star Ocean on SFC has one of my favourite Sakuraba compositions. So good: https://youtu.be/oaiXR1gcHog

Speaking of the composer though, people have been recreating Golden Sun’s soundtrack in higher quality with the Roland-SC8850. The results are excellent:

and

1 Like

Stumbled across this channel on YouTube, which is also on mixcloud and on soundcloud

It features really nice genre playlists and mixes and I’ve discovered a few cool tunes I wasn’t aware of. Jazz, Jungle, Ambient, etc

Posted these on twitter but worth posting here.

The same tune across T&E SOFT golf games on different platforms.

SNES/SFC (good)

Sharp X68000 (better?)

FM Towns (best) I assume CD-Audio?

2 Likes

@matt Very nice comparisons.

Here’s a nice woodwind orchestration of a Pokemon Gold tune. In the style of New Link’s Awakening.

This was a great, fun listen

https://podcasts.apple.com/gb/podcast/the-legacy-music-hour-video-game-music-podcast/id405561057?i=1000164549688

Mentions yet another version of the T&E SOFT tune above, this time as Main Menu in Waialae no Kiseki on SFC (Waialae Country Club on SNES)

‪https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBwI2gDO5dg‬

Which makes 3x Japanese PC and 2x SNES versions

My current favourite vgm podcast

Nice succinct episodes with tight editing and a good balance of music and history/info/facts. Not released very frequently but 50-ish to catch up on.

I was a bit disappointed with the Virtual Boy episode, since the host basically read off an online article between songs, and because he hadn’t played any of the games there wasn’t much context given around each title. Nice music picks though. I’m sure the other episodes are better given how apathetic folk tend to feel about the obscure and overlooked Virtual Boy.