When your games go on the fritz - Suteneko's repair & mod thread.

SEGA NAOMI MAPLE Controller Adapter for Dreamcast Controller/VMU:

I’ve been wanting to make myself some maple adapters for my NAOMI and even had everything required for several years now, but for one reason or another I kept putting off the work.

Required parts:

Dreamcast Extension Cables x02
H10P-SHF-AA x01 (JST, NH Female Connector Housing, 2.5mm Pitch, 10 Way, 1 Row)
H11P-SHF-AA x01 (JST, NH Female Connector Housing, 2.5mm Pitch, 11 Way, 1 Row)
SHF-001T-0.8BS x12 (JST, NH, SM Female Crimp Terminal Contact)

This is the type of Dreamcast extension cable I am using:

First we have to break open the male plug

Then I cut off the wires from the male connector and remove the cable relief and discard:

Then simply strip the all the wires, add heat shrink to the main cable and crimp the JST NH female terminals onto the 6 wires of both cables like so:

As usual for me I add some solder to ensure the connection is good.

Then using this guide I found online we insert everything into the correct connector:

You do not have to connect the 6th wire which is a cable ground, however I connect it to one of the additional grounds located on CN6 at pin 5 and CN7 at pin 9.

The results:

Close up of the player one Maple adapter:

Inserted into the SEGA NAOMI:

Not every NAOMI title supports Dreamcast VMU/Controllers and some of the titles that do, may require you to go into the game settings and turn the option “C-PANEL USE” ON.

Now my Dreamcast controllers function on my NAOMI:

Ideally I need to find a good place on my control panel to cut and mount the DC controller connector, but haven’t decided on anything yet.

The best thing about this is that you can use a Dreamcast Keyboard to play typing of the Dead and some VMU saves from Dreamcast ports of the arcade titles can be used.

3 Likes