Who is Getting Super Smash Bros. Ultimate?

Just visited a few of the GF’s friends from home and, coincidentally, they all had Switches and one of them had Smash installed. It seemed cool but he had some severe input lag on his HDTV screen so it’s hard to tell.

I didn’t want to tell him that he had it. Felt rude… but I wanted to be like, DUDE DONT YOU FEEL THAT INPUT LAG?! What’s crazy is that you can tell he’s kind of a hardcore gamer based on the games he had and the way he talked about them. Probably more knowledgeable than me on the current gaming scene even.

But his setup was all wrong and even the colors on his set were turned down far too low. You’d think he’d use the Switch’s screen and it’s performance as some sort of benchmark at least. But I guess it didn’t occur to him to check his TV’s settings.

Even still, Smash seemed cool from what I saw so far.

Been trying to unlock characters all weekend but it’s a real pain, even with the reset trick which only intermittently works for me. I think I’m finally up to 60 characters now.

1 Like

Well, I finally got my own copy of the game and put a solid 2 hours or so into it. I like it. But…

It feels like it has a lot of loading screens. I wonder what’s going on behind the scenes. Even if you lose a match in world of light and select Rematch, it will send you to a loading screen before the fight starts. That’s without even going back to the menu screen to reconfigure your party.

I haven’t really seen this many loading screens on a Switch game before. They’re near constant. It’s not the end of the world, but it does make the package feel less polished and enjoyable than it ought to be considering the amount of time you spend transitioning between menu screens.

I’d rather them pack less into the game and have it transition more smoothly between menus and gameplay than have the experience feel so disjointed like this.

Good news though, the actual gameplay of this one is way better than the Wii U/3DS versions. I really love the feel of it. It has a bit more input lag than those games which I didn’t expect, but the actual pace of the game is a lot more offensive.

2 Likes

I got it! I haven’t been this hooked on a Smash game since the original and melee.

I thought i didn’t like smash after melee. I don’t know what it was about the time, but melee struck me as a really fun game. Unfortunately, i think it came out just as I was finishing college or the year after. Social Smash was a hit with N64 at my buddies house but I never got to experience the same type of fun once melee came out. My brother in law is a few years younger and they were all into Halo so that game has a lot of nostalgia when I would go over to visit my now wife and end up playing games with her little brother and his friends.

Despite that, I loved the hell out of it and played as my in between. I did get to play brawl with my brother in law’s friend when they were all in college. I was often invited over because I always gamed with them on those Halo nights instead of hanging out with my wife. Oddly, she didn’t mind because me and her little brother are really close.

I do want to try some laggy multi with you guys. Anyone want to trade friend codes?

1 Like

Any other impressions out there?

It’s good. The attention to detail is unmatched. Just for the story mode alone it’s worth it because it’s full of so many gaming references it’ll have you smiling the whole time.

The OST is amazing. It’s basically a gaming greatest hits album with some incredible remixes on it. I’ve actually been driving around for work with my switch plugged in lol.

Get it!

Also I played online for a bit and made it to Elite!

I’m not a big fan of Smash, but it’s kept my attention longer than I would’ve thought. I haven’t tried online play so I can’t comment on how smooth that has been. Most of my time has been spent playing a World of Light which seems huge. I’ve put several hours in and haven’t really put a dent into uncovering the map.

Can someone who has never touched the series really figure it all out? I read through pages and pages of the OT on Era and there’s a ton of longtime players saying “oh this fight is some bullshit” and “why is that fight so hard” etc. I just fear that it will be totally inscrutable to a newcomer. I’m not into the whole Dark Souls “figure it out by combing through forums” thing.

Fighting games having annoyingly hard fights is a tale as old as time. There are a few spirits in the World of Light mode that seem completely bullshit but have ways that people can make them easier because of the nature of that mode. Or just skipped entirely since you don’t need to collect every spirit. Although we do seem to share different opinions on Dark Souls so I may not be the best for advise on this. Git Gud. Souls games are more “take it slow and savor the game” than “look up the solution online” for me.

But yeah, about the game. Unlocked all the characters yesterday morning. Apparently people were having trouble with the challengers since they nerfed them in the patch but other then having to do a couple rematches using a character I was better with it wasn’t something I even noticed. It’s not like I’m some pro gamer who’s big into smash either, last one I played was Melee and not too deep into it. World of Light fights have definitely been more bullshit but that is me doing it to myself since I keep trying instead of just waiting till I get a better spirit set and coming back.

1 Like

Yea, it’s possible for a newcomer to get into any Smash game. We’ll help you figure it out too.

The control scheme will probably seem weird at first, but it’s easier to get into than other fighting games once you understand it.

1 Like

Thanks, y’all. I’m almost certainly going to check it out.

This was definitely the hardest part of it for me, getting use to the controls of a smash game. And even now I can’t really decide if I want to turn off up for jump. I unlocked all the characters before the nerf and am chugging away at the World of Light and I still don’t really use the grab or shield buttons. Something I really need to correct.

Always be dodging In smash. Learning to hold Shield while moving in a direction (forward, backward, or down) is your first means of being elusive. The best players are the ones you can’t seem to hit.

Yup, I know I’m terrible and just making it harder on myself since I will have to relearn how to play if I ever want to actually get good at the game.

Getting good at Smash to a competent level sort of just happens naturally. You probably won’t have to unlearn much if you want to get really good.

Welp, unlocked every character in smash mode, did a bunch of classic mode runs and 100% cleared the World of Light. Time to move on. Was fun but I’m not going to kill myself getting full completion of the other stuff.

True for most things but you can also make it harder on yourself by getting use to doing things the “wrong” way, but really unless you are aiming for maximum competition mode that is never really a worry. Which clearly I am not.

If you’re always dodging in Smash, you’re going to get wrecked by any experienced player. Ultimate in particular punishes dodge rolling players because after a few they start to come out slow.

The best players are the ones who fully master short hops, fast falls combined with quick aerials to constantly throw out attacks without penalty, (frequently attacking while moving backward in the air in fact). They are generally moving really fast around the platform with minimal movement/attack lag that would leave them open to countering. A player who does this can often throw out two or three attacks in the time it takes an opponent moving “normally” to throw out a single one.

Best players also know how to pull off true combos and can read predictable movements common to most players and counter more easily (eg. what most players do when they’re recovering back to the platform, how most roll dodge to avoid a forward attack, etc).

Everyone should watch some high level play videos from the likes of Zero