Wii U and 3DS eShops shutting down March 2023 - List the games you recommend to download before then

That’s good to hear.

If this is true, is it any wonder Nintendo wants to shut these stores down?

I imagine this would all be a lot more palatable if Nintendo said “have at it” after they shut everything down but they remain possibly the biggest sticklers over emulation and the like

I’ve avoided cracking my 3DS to date but the news led me to dig out my OG 3DS to give it a go. I’ll keep my 2DSXL as my legit machine but I want to see what tools are available. Plus it will give me some redundancy if my 2DSXL dies in the future and I can’t transfer my purchases.

Edit: wow the screen on the 2DSXL is amazing compared to the OG 3DS. Sure there’s no 3D but I had forgotten the size and colour difference.

Pretty reasonable list here for 3DS…

One that I would add is Kokuga. It’s by one of the creators of Radiant Silvergun and Ikaruga and it’s a very unique overhead tank shooting game. It did not get a physical release in the US. Not sure about Japan.

1 Like

Edit - fixed the link:

Definitely a worthy read. According to this former Nintendo employee, announcements that patches/updates will go offline will happen in 2023 shortly after payment systems stop functioning.

I believe it. I already made my thoughts known, but this seems disproportionally unfair to the most dedicated fans.

Having no roadmap for this software all along and using outdated GameCube and arm mobile architecture deep into the digital download always-connected era finally caught up with them. I’m hoping this never happens with Switch software but I think it will after another 7-10 years if fans and news outlets don’t create enough of a stink right now.

The anemic response from video game news outlets is really something.

Meanwhile, Microsoft is still glad to sell OG XBOX games to us lol. As much as I appreciated what Nintendo was trying to do with its unique control schemes, it looks like Microsoft had the better model all along - relentless effort being put into compatibility, emulation, and patching old titles, and making them look reasonably good on modern displays.

Link is broken :confused:

Apologies:

Can’t you still redownload your Wii and DSi stuff? Makes this article very suspect (I mean it’s Nintendo Life after all…).

Thinking about this some more, didn’t Microsoft whack the entirety of the Xbox Live Indie Games portal on Xbox 360 when Xbox One came out? Can you even redownload that stuff?

Looking…

Yep. Completely dead.

This isn’t just a Nintendo “problem”. And as I noted above, it all depends on how much people actually want the games how much they care… and whether it’s financially viable to keep these things going.

1 Like

Didn’t even remember those games until you posted.

:eyes:

1 Like

Let’s also be real. Nintendo is going to make their catalog available on future systems too for the most part. They know there’s always money to be made from these classics. If that article is to be believed, that’s exactly why we got the NES Classic and the SNES Classic. They needed the dough!

This is really more of a third than a first party problem.

Of course, but when the hardware is as unique as Wii, DS, and their respective sequels, some of those re-released games are going to inevitably feel a bit compromised with conventional input devices or the lack of second screen. It’s okay though, it’s just something I have to make piece with.

I really feel for 3rd party developers like Atlus or Level-5 who probably don’t get a say in this and may not have the finances to remake / re-translate their titles.

It’s a sad moment for all involved really. Probably a lot of employees at Nintendo even.

I know it’s wrong to go down this road for dozens of reasons, but I can’t help but wonder whether Iwata really would’ve made the same decision during the same timeframe. (Rip)

Yeah, the problem here is the ship has sailed as far as things go for third parties and even smaller first party games. They were made under very specific circumstances which have moved on since, the hardware, the market conditions, the people making the games don’t match up any more.

It’s also an issue with first party content, today’s Nintendo is much more ‘efficient’ in their utilisation of IP and developer houses, so for every remake or rerelease of a popular game like Advance Wars 1 and 2 (which is a frankly unnecessary remake, original is perfect) a dozen other games will be ignored.

Hamster did file a trademark for a “Console Archives” label last year, fingers crossed that becomes something big. But it’s probably only going to see one release a week like Arcade Archives is.

Thanks for the link to the article. I need to get more of the Level-5 games before they are gone. The only one I have is Liberation Maiden and I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it to anyone who hasn’t played it, especially if you like 3D shooters like Starfox, Iridion 3D, Panzer Dragoon series, etc.

Kokuga has been delisted, unfortunately.

Don’t forget to check DSi best game lists as well, quite a few gems but many were Japan only. Sujin Taisen: Number Battles is a must buy, even without the online multiplayer, and was released globally thankfully.

I need to dig out my 3DSes and compile a list of what I’ve played over the years.

It’s true.

All Wii and DSi stuff was saved the same way last time.

Switch is different as far as I know. Content has to be purchased for it to be preserved there. But I’m sure they’ll Nuke all that without a moment’s hesitation when the time comes.

Anyway, as I said on Twitter:
https://twitter.com/gingerbeardman/status/1493873372790497286?s=21

Don’t forget most DSi games can still be played online with Wiimmfi. Though you’ll need an old WiFi router or portable hotspot to get your DS online.

Should be all good for DSi stuff at least, Nintendo had the sense to support WPA2 with the DSi. Was able to redownload some DSi stuff last week because of it, while my PSPs need the PS3 to fetch games since it only supports WPA.

It’s great that the software has been preserved for sure. With Nintendo ending production of 3DS back in late 2020 it’s not like anyone’s going to be picking up a system new anymore, but it’s a shame that enthusiasts are now going to have to jump through hoops (read: resort to installing CFW and downloading copies of games) to get their 3DS fix in the future.

Honestly what bothers me more is the early discontinuation of the 3DS platform. I guess hardware sales had reached complete saturation in 2020, but I’m pretty sure Nintendo kept selling Famicom and Super Famicom for far longer.

The 2DS XL should have been Nintendo’s iPod Classic in a way. Should have released an ultimate old new system called the DS Classic that plays all DS and 3DS games. Sell the hardware at a profit so you don’t need to rely on software sales to keep the platform profitable. Keep it around for about 8 years like Apple did the iPod Classic.

1 Like

Ah crap… couldn’t find this before the other post. Anyway, today is the final day to add funds directly via credit card to the 3DS and Wii U eshops on those respective devices. You will still be able to use gift cards after today I believe but credit card purchases will end.

Pretty sure this is only on the devices themselves.

Bit late on this, but they have stock and are still selling 3DS in Japan in decent numbers, they’ve sold 7000 this year so far according to Famitsu. It’s in its twelfth year on the market now. It’s pretty comparable to the Super Famicom all things considered.

Compare this to the PS4 which launched three years later in Feb 2014 - it has sold 347 this year in Japan.