Xbox One BC |OT| I'll be back

The OT for backwards compatibility on the Xbox One

We like old games here on Retro Game Boards, so a thread for games coming to the BC program on the Xbox One family of consoles should be appropriate.

Xbox One, Xbox One S and Xbox One X are backwards compatible with a selection of games from the following “retro” consoles:

• Xbox 360 - Digital purchases, DLC and cloud saves will carry over from your 360.
  • Xbox OG - Digital purchases on your 360 will carry over, saves and DLC are a no.

OG Xbox games on:

• XB1 & XB1S - 4x resolution boost.
  • XB1X - 9x resolution boost.

Xbox 360 games on:

• XB1 & XB1S - Original resolution, framerates see a more stable number on most titles.
  • XB1X - Original resolution, with some titles being booested to 4K. Framerates see large boosts, with mostly a locked target number of either 30 og 60 fps.

Official info:

Play hundreds of Xbox 360 games, and now, classic Original Xbox titles on Xbox One. Select Xbox 360 games are Xbox One X Enhanced, leveraging the additional power of the console for higher resolution, 9X the original pixel count, and expanded color details. Experience game franchises across generations and enjoy the titles you own and love at no additional cost. For Xbox 360 games, keep your game saves, add-ons, achievements, and Gamerscore. And with Xbox Live Gold, play multiplayer games with friends across Xbox One and Xbox 360. Xbox One is the only place to play the best games of the past, present and future.

Xbox.com’s main BC page: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-one/backward-compatibility?xr=shellnav

Have a title you want to come to backwards compatibility? Vote here: https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503

Special info on certain games:

• Mass Effect games: ME1 is available both as a digital purchase and on EA Access. ME2 & ME3 are available digitally ONLY through EA Access.
  • Doom 3: BFG is not available digitally and only BC through using a disc. It will give you access to both Doom 1 & 2 digitally and they will not require the disc.
  • Forza Horizon is now delisted as digital, but disc version works fine and will boost to a native 4K on the XB1X.

Remember Retro Game Boards has an Xbox Club, everyone is welcome!

2 Likes

Latest title to be BC is:

Deadly Premonition https://twitter.com/majornelson/status/926116863108673536

Thanks for making this. I’m really interested to see how the XB1X handles OGXbox games.

1 Like

Here are three Xbox 360 games with 4x resolution tested on a Xbox One X over at Gamersyde.com:

Halo 3

Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion

Fallout 3

I do t have time to look at it, but how are the frame rates? Are there any improvements?

Great time for this OT! Looks like all the embargoes for the X are up today.

1 Like

Yeah, I’m really looking forward to Backwards Compat on the new Xbox One X. I should have mine next week, and I can’t wait to put OG and 360 games through their paces. The shots I’ve seen online today are really impressive.

Edit:

Mirror’s Edge and Skate 3 were seemingly listed as enhanced, but have since been pulled. Either and error or hopefully an update down the line.

This may have already been covered. Apologies, if that’s the case.

Did anyone ever try any X360, non region-free shump that is in the BC list, on their US/PAL Xbox One consoles? Are such games still locked?

I’m with you. I’m excited to try out my 15 year old games on the X lol

It’s very frustrating that the only real draw to me for the X is for some 360-gen games at higher resolutions, lol. I don’t think I can justify it, but I love NGB running on my normal XBO and the 360 support was impressive enough already.

I had no interest in upgrading from the S to the X but up-rendered og xbox and 360 titles have made me reconsider.

Dark10x mentioned there are some issues with the image though, I think scaling issues? I was hoping Digital Foundry would be doing a video on it although perhaps it’s still coming.

Gears of War 3 tested and compared on 360, One and One X.

The One X version looks just incredible!

1 Like

Ok, that’s pretty insane. Did the game get a specific patch?

1 Like

This makes me want to get the Xbox One X!

I’m hoping it’s just a general setting in the virtual machine that runs 360 games. I guess they need to set it on a game to game basis at first to test it out. But I hope it can be set on most games in the future.

Well, I ordered one just in case and I’m glad I did. Everything sounds amazing about this console. Maybe it’s what I was hoping the pro would be.

If that turns out to be the case, I’m definitely gonna pick one up for Christmas. As you said - aside from a couple of missed opportunities so far (I watched the DF comparisons for the latest FIFA and Titanfall 2) - this console seems exceptionally well thought.

1 Like

I’m really hoping they fix Titanfall 2 at least, the problems there seem to oversights. FIFA though is probably made as a parity due to Sony having the FIFA brand deal this gen, although it did not effect CODWWII as it runs better on the X. Although MS seemed to not be allowed to mention before the release of the X.

1 Like

Holy shit at those comparisons. Wow.

So is this emulation? How does this all work?