3DS OT: 1 Platform, 2 Screens, 3 Dimensions

Just when I think I have a handle on all the 3DS games I want to play, along comes something new I had never heard of before and looks completely up my alley. This system will truly keep me busy for the rest of my life. Thanks! (jerk! :smile:)

Cheers for posting that link!

I played about 5 hours off the game card on my Japanese N3DS and then started again with the fan translation on my Japanese O3DS. The game is fully playable with elementary, and even no, knowledge of Japanese - it largely uses an iconographic interface for battles though the small number of tutorial screens are dense with text explanations. You could figure it out on your own though.

But dialogue text goes by very quickly due to the nature of the narrative (your party of DRPG players can post messages onto the upper screen, though the girl in her world can’t see them you can), and you want to be able to understand the girl too - the story, while simple and sparingly told, is rather good, and the ending packs an emotional punch.

Cheers Peltz! I used to write for a hobbyist site but we all forgot to pay the hosting fee one month and it disappeared! Miss those days but I really enjoy writing about what I’m playing here so it means a lot. Are you going to check out the fan translation one day?

Do give it a look! It’s made it into my top 3 RPGs on 3DS (the other two are Legend of Legacy and Etrian Odyssey IV). Really special game. And you’re welcome :wink:

I’m still thinking about the game! Tri-Ace really nailed the visuals - the excellent environment design is brought to life with some of the best texturework on 3DS coupled with tastefully implemented lighting. The girl is also convincingly animated. Here’s some screenshots:

Summary

image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image image

1 Like

Hey there!
The 3DS is definitely my favourite handheld at this point (well, the regular New 3DS to be precise). Great format, nice features, the OS also feels nice, great library, etc. The DS BC and some nice VC also helps!

For those interested in digital games, there’s also a nice sale in the EU eshop for Atlus games at the moment (including Persona Q2).
I’ll try to finish FE Echoes before Tree Houses releases later this week, I don’t remember why I put it on hold but it’s my favorite FE game on this platform.

Yeah, definitely worth checking out these sales while the platform is still alive, some publishers have already stopped participating in them (always wanted Runabout 3D/Crash City Mayhem but I can’t see it going on sale again) which is a shame.

Been on a Ridge Racer kick and am thinking about picking up RR3D. Been watching some videos and noticed the every one I can find shows the rear cam view. I always play hood cam view on RR. Can’t imagine playing any other view.

Does the game not have a hood cam option? Or are all the people I see making videos just heretics?

It does, apparently
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/997831-ridge-racer-3d/59596915

Manual
https://www.manualsearcher.com/nintendo/ridge-racer-3d-3ds/manual

1 Like

Yeah, RR3D has both camera options.

Definitely worth picking it up, the 3D effect is incredible, especially in the bonnet cam where the AI racers have a tremendous sense of presence as you zoom past them.

Wish it received a ‘Plus’ update for New 3DS like Ace Combat 2’s remake did.

Awesome. Definitely want to get my hands on it. We need a Ridge Racer OT!

Thank you!

1 Like

Has anyone had issues with the top screen of their 3ds yellowing. I turned on my japanese n3ds after not using it for months and the screen was extremely yellow. It’s mainly visible on white screens.

I’ve not had this but I have read about it before.

Yeah, both my 3ds XL and n3ds have some yellowing (mostly around the edges) which I believe is different to the ‘yellow screen tint’ issue. Same thing happened to my DSiXL, it got yellower over time. I read a while back it’s the glue/plastic they use.

We do! I’ve held off making one since I haven’t played a ‘new’ Ridge Racer for some time, though I do need to get round to Revolution at some point.

There’s a lot to talk about across all the games though! Hope you enjoy 3D, it’s the last one Namco developed in-house.

My 3DSes are all fine, but a DSi XL I bought used a couple of years ago has the yellowing on one side of the upper screen. It’s only noticeable at boot but it’s still an annoyance.

My other DSi XL is fine, though, no yellowing to be seen. If it’s plastic and glue could proper storage mitigate it over time?

Could it be sun/heat related?

If it really is just the glue, you can remove the polarizers, wipe off any excess glue residue, and apply new polarizer film to the LCD. That should make it last another decade.

1 Like

Yeah, presumably the previous owner left it out on a desk or something with the sun shining there. My other (brand new) DSi XL has nothing like that but it’s never been left out in conditions that would cause it.

Interesting, so it’s not a permanent yellowing? I know little about how this would work in practice, but it’s good to know. I’m more worried about my 3DSes due to the amount of save files and data tied to the hardware - at least DSes are largely interchangeable.

With CFW you can liberate or migrate all your digital belongings on a 3DS