Analogue & Retrousb FPGA Consoles OT

Mega CD support is nice but it’s worthless if you can’t use it for karaoke!

I need to know if it’s supported before I order !

1 Like

Those consolized Game Gears by beharbros were being sold at $290 iirc they’re probably a hassle to make but this seems like it’ll be a really good value alternative.

If I didn’t own so much original hardware, I’d be totally jazzed about these FPGA systems.

Bummer that they didn’t spring for on-board Sega CD and 32X support though. Otherwise looks great for those that are into this sort of thing.

The fact it plays Master System has me interested as I do not own a Master System.

I need to have the RetroTINK-2x in my hands before I can commit to a pre-order though. I love my Super Nt, and I’m sure I’d love the Mega Sg, but I may have solved my Sega on HDTV “problem” already.

The only appeal of the FPGA systems to me is longevity. It’s not a question of if our original hardware will fail, it’s when. Right now we are experiencing this at my job where alot of our older equipment is dieing. Eeproms, ppus, microprocessors etc will all fail with time and they are not repairable.

The FPGA systems give us a new way to experience " real" hardware when all the real hardware is gone.

That’s true, and I’m glad I bought the Super Nt. I’m also 46, so I realistically only need about 40-50 years of usage from my old hardware at the absolute maximum. :smiley:

1 Like

This is why I’ve opted to buy every analogue system they’ve made and sold my original nt for a mini because the point of these systems for me at least is to have as close to original hardware but on modern hardware.

Also my crt will eventually die and at least this gives the experience of shoving a cart in and hopefully it still working 20+ years down the line.

I do wonder a little though if we’re just really bleeding edge on this stuff right now. Polymega is offering something that might be more like what we’ll eventually see down the road that becomes a more all encompassing design. Even Analogue has to be thinking about where this ultimately leads.

Something with an FPGA setup that has multiple cart slots seems like a no brainer design atm. It detects what slot is filled and runs the correct hardware emulation based on that…

While it isn’t the only appeal of it to me, it definitely is the thing that makes me happy about it the most. Securing the future of playing retro games in an accurate way.

Also the Mega SG looks amazing. Can’t wait for more details/the page to work.

Edit: Although they did fuck up hard by not having a “HIGH DEFINITION GRAPHICS” version. Gonna hope someone takes the initiative and makes a good sticker/decal for it.

Wow, the Mega Sg looks great. Nice to see that additional platforms supported, too. As the article states, the key will be nailing the sound. The controllers look nice.

If I had more dough to spare I’d love to have the Super Nt and Mega Sg in my modern TV setup, while keeping my analog stuff with the PVM in the basement.

Really would love to see them revise the NES and offer a cheaper version similar to these two.

While I was hoping for them to make a “higher” version of these with RGB out…

They mentioned their analog( no pun intended) video adapter is done and ready to ship. All we can really hope is they enable 240p output via HDMI and then we can use this or do our own thing.

I like FPGA consoles and believe they are the future but I’m still undecided on whether or not I should grab one. I have a Framemeister and Everdrives and most of my consoles RGB modded. I’m just not sure if I would gain anything besides hardware reliability.

Something else I want but don’t really need, but still want :laughing:

2 Likes

They’re going to solve the RGB out issue with the elusive DAC addon.

Wow, I thought for sure the DAC was vaporware.

1 Like

I hope that DAC is useable for other HDMI ports for downscaling. There’s just not enough equipment out there that can downscale.

Having a gaming quality device for it would be amazing. But I think they’ll just end up outputting 240p from the port and then converting HDMI to SCART rather than having the DAC handle a conversion in resolution.

Wow… just saw the Mega SG news story on my building’s elevator news monitor. Crazy that this thing may be getting mainstream coverage.

Yup, am hopeful. They have been talking about it for a while so it should be out sometime. If it is something that will work across their entire range of products it seems like a good solution. Will see when it comes out though.

Also I’m in the same position as you posted about on restera, @Aeana. Have these systems already set up RGB and all and don’t know why I want to buy this so much. Makes it even odder that RGB support is the reason I’ve held out on the Super NT Also my choice paralysis over colors….

Also doesn’t stop me from buying the classic consoles as well. Guess it’s just the consumer whore in me along with an unhealthy obsession with physical goods.