Analogue & Retrousb FPGA Consoles OT

Yeah, that’s where I’m headed with this… NIntendo knows the demand is there for these 20 game boxes that are rather cheap to produce. They have to be thinking about a way to place something like that where they can sell more games on it, even if it’s only the games they’ve sold a few times before (SNES/NES) via Virtual Console.

Would they rather have three SKUs with NES, SNES, N64 Classics… or just one Nintendo Classic that allows for downloads? I’m probably moving away from FPGA then, but their emulation has been some of the best. They don’t seem interested in using Switch this way… maybe they’re looking at a new pillar?

I dunno… I can think of about a zillion ways to monetize their back catalog that they’re not already doing. It’s Nintendo though. They’ll think it through and eventually do something that people complain about. :smiley:

I’ve so far resisted buying the Super NT & just about resisted the SG, I’m holding out for an analogue NES/FAMI console that’s not made from aluminium and is around the same price point as the NT & SG (in NES & famicom colour schemes) :pray:

Have Analogue ever said the NT or any other of their products will be limited edition?

I thought that first console only had a specific manufacturing run and that’s it.

Don’t know that they’ve ever definitively said, but that’s what everyone seem to be assuming: that the original Nt is done with, and Analog will keep making the Super Nt and now the Mega Sg in a non-limited fashion going forward. I think many are just hoping they’ll revisit the original machine in and re-create it in the new, less-expensive format. You have to think it would be at least as big a seller as their current products … hard to imagine they wouldn’t consider it.

1 Like

I would not be able to resist a Famicom design one…

1 Like

I was kinda in the same frame of mind but since getting a Super NT I think I am a convert.

I certainly want to keep my original systems in my CRT setup but in terms of upscaled on a modern TV I’m pretty sold. I can see myself doing a lot more gaming with this integrated into our modern setup.

2 Likes

The Super Nt really does bring your old games out of the “other” rooms and back to your living room. It’s incredibly useful for that @Peagles. I love mine and it’s been hard to resist just ordering a Mega Sg on principle.

I’m going to mess with the RetroTINK-2x this weekend and if that satisfied my Sega Genesis/CD urges in the living room, I’ll leave it be. If not… then I’ll probably be ordering by Monday. The one major difference with Sega is that imports for that era aren’t as plentiful or as cheap as they are on SNES/SFC. There is real value in that with the Super Nt.

Confession: I play my Super NT on my 4K more than I play my SNES on my CRT. Its not even close. I love sitting on my sofa in the living room and playing MMX on the 65" and my kids loving the hell out of it.

We forget this a lot, but a huge part of gaming is social and nothing brings people together like some good classic games on a big screen. Until I got this, my friends thought that it was cool I had a CRT but complained about how small it was once we started playing.

1 Like

Great point. Gaming with friends is always #1 for me and I know when we are going to play a retro game I’m going to be hooking it up to the big TV with the big couch. No one wants to sit in front of a 20" BVM.

The fpga consoles make my social gaming easier. I get the accuracy and image quality I enjoy and my friends get the big TV they enjoy.

1 Like

I have too much 4:3 burn in anxiety to spend too much time on my Super NT. #plasmalife

I heard the OLEDS don’t have the same issue as the pixel are just off.

Yeh, this is the same for me.

Another thing is the power. I get nervous having 30+ things plugged in with my retro setup. Super NT is just USB powered.

Whem it comes to gaming on modern displays, what about an OSSC + an SNES/whatever other RGB console you might have? As opposed to something like a Super NT/SG?

As someone who does it that way, there can be a lot more cost involved. The scart cables, the ossc, a scart switch, the systems themselves modded to be the “best” version, and so on. Of course some of the starting cost like the systems can already be accounted for. With the NT/SG it’s just plug it in and play and that is the appeal. HDMI and USB powered with no/a lot less fiddling with settings to get the picture how you want it.

1 Like

Yea true. Plus, I assume it’s virtually lag free due to the internal scaler.

You guys, stop. You’re making me want one even more …

Question: do people find the Super NT works better or the same with a 4K tv versus 1080?

I don’t really notice a difference. My 1080p and 4K have similar lag. I like the way it looks more on my 4K because of the wider color gamut.

1 Like

Even though I have everything else already, there’s a few convenience things that make it for me.

Aside from the fact that SNES + OSSC is incompatible with my 4K TV, to use it I’d have to have 2 extra power adapters somewhere in my setup.

To have the whole setup there would be pretty insane. Another power adapter for the upscaler, then per system and per switch adds up pretty quick.

The wireless controllers make a huge difference in usability too. Our TV is so far away from the couch, I’d need wireless controllers for every system in order to actually be able to play them. I realise I can use these 8bitdos with my original SNES too, so part of me being enamoured is probably getting these controllers in conjunction with the Super NT.

Personally, having a toddler around means the modern setup needs to be fairly minimal too. I haven’t found a permanent spot for the Super NT yet but my boy already tried the eat the SD card from the SD2SNES so I’ll need to find a way to put it somewhere out of his reach :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Well I’m considering a scenario where one already has a variety of scart connected consoles, which is not an unlikely scenario for the users here.

Interesting. I have both myself and my Super NT is sitting in a drawer, so I was just curious. Both seem relatively plug and play in my mind, with the Super NT obviously being the most care free, yet the OSSC allows me added flexibility where I can swap consoles in and out on the 4k set.

But, I also don’t have all my system hooked up at once, nor do I have to rely on only one set-up, so my scenario isn’t exactly the same.

I ordered the wireless controllers with my Super NT and those see regular use.

I love the idea of the Super NT but ended up finding it redundant in my set-up, but that’s my fault lol. Maybe I’ll find a use for it! I want to! It’s a sweet little device.