Analogue & Retrousb FPGA Consoles OT

I was like maybe I won’t get a SG but the more we talk about the more its clear to me that this is the way I am leaning anyway. I love my CRT don’t get me wrong but a SD2SNES + Super NT it just about the damn best thing you can buy if you are a fan of Super NES.

There will always be a place for original hardware but the OSSC is pretty dang hacky if you ask me. The fact that it doesn’t work with every HDMI display the right way is a huge disadvantage to any setup. Even the Framemeister doesn’t compare because of the lag. The way the Analogue Systems work on a LCD is just so easy, so neat, and they don’t cost so much that its really going to hurt. I have more money invested in cables than the cost of a SG or a S NT.

Edit: my only issue now is White vs JP MD color.

1 Like

Well I have a whole separate retro setup in the garage. But I find I don’t use it much with life being so hectic lately. I have little dedicated gaming time now so instead of finding time to chill in there for a few hours, I can jump on for little sessions just blobbing in the lounge after work.

1 Like

Well that is the position I’m in and the primary reason why I’ve been able to hold back on getting these systems so far. Even though I can see the appeal of both ways even if starting from scratch now I would be hard pressed not to recommend just doing the NT/SG to anyone that asked me what they would do if they didn’t want to get balls deep into the hobbyist side of it all.

Well actually I would tell them to go for the “classic” system and hack it if they wanted absolutely no hassle and didn’t care about the “best” video quality and responsiveness.

Do you even need the SD2SNES? Thought the Super NT was jail broken and you could just play things off of an SD card already. Minus the special chip carts last iirc.

Also still waiting for whatever RGB solution they say they have made to pop up. Depending on latency it may make the NT/SG the best way to do those systems in all regards except for my own personal nostalgia over using the original hardware.

Starting from Scratch? 110% I would recommend a Super NT/SG versus going down the rabbit hole of SCART/RGB.

Especially if they release the damn DAC -_-

1 Like

You don’t but you won’t be able to play the special chip games. SD2SNES does all the chip emulation for the games. The S NT has a limited amount of games it run run off the Jailbreak.

Edit: If the Jailbreak happens for the SG likely it will support all the games (unless they choose not to allow the JB)

I preordered the Sg day one. The SNt blew me away with 5x integer @1080p and interpolation… but I was sad the whole time that it wasn’t a Genesis/MD. lol Now come April, I won’t have that problem. :smile:

What are the odds of being able to flash the Nt as an Sg and use the 8bitdo Sg controller?

0 unless you are kevtris and build a blue tooth version that controller because it’s RF

I actually wonder how hard it would be to make one of those 8bitdo controllers to work with a different one of their receivers.

If you’re starting from scratch today, I think I’d recommend not getting into the hobby and having a bigger bank account instead. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Oh, Hahahahaha.

OK how about the other way around? SNES ROMs on the Mega Sg?

I don’t think Analogue will ever let you run the SNES core on the Mega Sg or vice versa. It’s not a good look for them.

If you are starting from scratch, get a pi and don’t ever come back.

Personally, If something happened to my collection and crts I’d probably buy a MiSTer, the analog stuff and EverDrives and call it a day.

1 Like

Let or “let”. They are fully rolling as a business now so it could be in their best interest to actively block that kind of stuff since they seem to want to sell a new device for each system. One of the downsides to Kevtris working directly for them now since he was big in getting the other stuff running and running well on the NT. Hopefully the scene can “pick up the slack” and get the unofficial stuff working well and hopefully Analogue will not be too against it. Seems a lot of the appeal of their devices as they sit are that they “just work” so don’t know how much people getting other solutions up and running on their hardware would eat into their general profits, or if it would bring another market like me to their systems.

Kinda interesting to see the progression of Analogue as a company. Following Kevtris is pretty fascinating as well.

Yea… their original Neo Geo console wasn’t too hot as I recall. Then their NES console suffered delay after delay.

It’s cool how well they turned things around.

I actually owned one of their original Analogue NTs, the ones that were built using re-purposed actual hardware, and the HDMI-Nes output was optional (I had it installed). The thing was gorgeous, and I loved gaming on it, but unfortunately it did NOT play nice with my Everdrive n8. Regular carts worked phenomenal, but the Everdrive would crash the system after 10-60 minutes of play.

I went back and forth with both Analogue and Krikzz for quite some time, before finally just requesting a return/refund from Analogue. To their credit, they refunded my money, and even refunded their original shipping charge as well, I was only out the cost to send it back to them.

I have a lot more confidence in their FPGA stuff, and am on the fence about the Mega SG right now. Decisions decisions…

I have predictions for them moving forward.

Projects I see them working on.

Retooled NT Mini in plastic (hdmi out only. this will be par for all consoles going forward).
PS1 is likely the next console
N64 is probably the last thing they can do on the cyclone 5 (but who knows if they can make it accurate).

What I see them adding in the future is something different.
they made add these cart adapters to consoles they don’t see having broad appeal.
I see them making cart adapters for the Super NT for GB/GBC (the super gameboy doesn’t do gbc)
I also wonder if the GBA can be done on that board.
I can see a PC Engine Cart adapter for the Super SG

What would be cool are PC Engine and Neo Geo but I don’t think either of those systems have the mass appeal that the Nintendo, Sega & Sony stuff did. Eventually, their FPGA won’t be able to keep up so where the upper end is kind of depends on how cheap a better FPGA chip costs.

If they can’t keep going, we are likely going to see a Retron 5 type machine from them and they will probably just sell that. I am interested in their business model from that point on. I hope they can keep going.

The main draw for me in addition to the ease of use is that historically, they’ve leaked a jail break which allows rom dumping from your carts. If they don’t do that with the SG then I am not sure I would buy their inevitable Analogue SY (sony).

I had that one too but I had the NES version instead of the Famicom N8. I had no issue with it but I was always annoyed that I couldn’t output to RGB and play on my CRT. That was the draw of the NT Mini. I sold my original NT to get the Mini and I am happy I did.

Let = official core release?
“Let” = “unofficial” jailbreak?

Cuz I’m going with neither. I think it erodes their products’ image if it becomes widely known that these are pretty identical boxes that could theoretically run any core. If the Mega Sg can turn into a Super NT or NT Mini, then they each lose something in their individual worth. And why bother buying the rest after the first if they all do the same thing?

kev said in the my life in gaming super nt review that the n64 may not be possible even with a theoretically powerful enough fpga due to the complexity of the hardware, the limit right now is ps1 and neo geo.

Interesting stuff. I wonder what the difference is.