Best way to track and record your collection?

I started writing my own little collection application with Qt and Python haha. It’s more or less just a glorified spreadsheet optimized for my purposes at the moment. But it’s pretty fun to mess around with.

2 Likes

Screenshot please!

Haha well it’s not very pretty looking at the moment. :sweat_smile: Still working on functionality. And currently migrating from CSV files to sqlite for the database so lots of things broken. But here’s some screens.

That randomizer thingy was what actually started everything. And I got that idea from here I think, when someone posted a link to a website that would let you randomize a game to play from selected platforms.

1 Like

Yes insisted that link. Great to see a few ST items there. My first love.

Do you have to enter all the information? My collection entering was barcode powered for 75% of 400 items, then manual for the rest.

Never had an ST when it was current. Bought it for the demoscene stuff and because I loved the soundchip weirdly enough. Sadly it’s not working currently.

A friend suggested having a way to have all the games for a platform in the list, and then being able to select what you have. I had thought of barcode scanning, but this would actually be even faster.

So I had implemented a way to import all the games for a platform automatically from data I scraped from the web. Then the user would only have to check whether they have the game, box and/or manual. They would then be counted as being “in” the collection. And I had a function to hide or remove games not in the collection to clean things up. And it was working fine, but the way I had implemented reading and writing to the CSV files wasn’t very efficient. Turns out that when you have 50000 rows it takes like 20 seconds to update the table when clicking a checkbox haha. I couldn’t think of a better way to do it with CSV though, so am currently switching to SQL tables instead which are natively supported by Qt.

So right now it’s actually not possible to enter any new data into the collection at all until I get the tables working as before again.

Really old at this point but I wound up using RF generation and the barcode scanner is just a huge game changer. I have most of my library now stored in one place and it’s just so much faster than the time I would have spent manually trying to create and update spreadsheets.

1 Like

I’ve been using RF Generation for a while now. It’s done a great job keeping me from buying doubles. I never thought about scanning barcodes though. At this point, I don’t think it would help me but it may have made the initial inventory easier.

Yeah, I’m not sure I’ll use it much once I finish what I have now but to initially start you can use the barcode scanner in their android app which makes it a breeze. I scanned in over 120 games in less than an hour

Damn and blast you Android users!

I had to roll my own Barcode to RFG solution for iOS.

1 Like

Luckily I found an old android phone that I bought to hold me over when my previous phone broke until I had to buy a real phone or I’d be in the same boat. I was frustrated to learn it was android only and my kindle fire camera is apparently too bad to even scan a barcode. lol

1 Like

The only thing I’ve been noticing is somehow RF Connection doesn’t have a complete database. I had two games today that just don’t exist to them. The Berserk game on Vita and Flashback for Switch. They show up for other consoles but nothing for the ones I actually own it on. Kind of strange.

I’ve ran into this a lot and for a lot of them I’ve ended up filling out the form to add them to their database. It’s all crowdsourced.

1 Like

Oh, I didn’t realize there was a form to add stuff. I’m still trying to get used to their website so I’ll do that later when I have time then.

I think my collection is bigger than I anticipated. This is exhausting even with the barcode scanner.

1 Like

With my hacked together solution any barcode that wasn’t in their database I put in a new file and went through adding the most important stuff. I still have a bunch of less common stuff to add from that file.

1 Like

I’ve only got like 1/3 of my collection logged and I’m at 440… I’m kind of already getting tired of scanning stuff

2 Likes

yeah, don’t try to rush it. Don’t give up though. It’s worth it to have everything cataloged.

Here’s mine btw

http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/collection.pl?action=profile&name=laevateinn&folder=Collection

2 Likes

Here’s mine.

http://www.rfgeneration.com/cgi-bin/collection.pl?action=profile&name=matt&folder=Collection

Since doing the big scan I’ve not really kept up with adding new games, which kind of makes the whole thing of questionable worth.

cmd+f “Saturn”: “Not found”

:dizzy_face:

1 Like

Forgive me.

I’ll be picking up at least one Japanese Saturn golf game soon. I only have access to a friend’s PAL Saturn so it’s not straight forward. I’ll probably resort to emulation.

Given the prices for most things (at least US copies), I kind of tell people it’s not worth getting saturn stuff. If I didn’t buy my collection like over a decade ago at this point I wouldn’t have as much as I do

1 Like