Best way to track and record your collection?

Apologies if I’m missing it, but does RF Generation have an import feature, something similar to GVN? I have an csv export dump from My Game Collection that I thought about transferring over, but can’t seem to find a way to do it. FAQ and Google are failing me…

For what it’s worth, I’ve been very happy with My Game Collection (Android/PC via Bluestacks) and have everything added and set up the way I like. Here’s a screenshot if you’re curious:

Not that I’ve seen but that’s only real complaint about RF Generation is that a lot of stuff seems convoluted. I had to copy Laevateinn’s link and edit my name because I couldn’t figure out how to get a URL to share. The URL in my address bar was always nondescript.

You can find it by clicking “my profile”

The problem I’ve found is that no site has everything; every site online that lets you list games from a database they manage has missing stuff, often a lot of missing stuff. And while depending on the site it may be possible to add games, that can be difficult, and who knows if they’ll approve them.

So, while I used to use an online list (IGN’s), I gave up on that several years ago and now have a spreadsheet to keep track of my now pretty large collection. It allows me to have everything there and add whatever columns or tabs I want, and while keeping it updated takes some work it’s worth it. Nothing online is anywhere near as good. I’ve got a lot of stuff in the spreadsheet now – columns for things such as the score I give each game, how much I paid for it, accessorites required (light guns and such), etc.; and separate tabs for hardware, for how many games I have on each platform, for toys to life stuff, for total numbers of import games I have, and more.

For an online list, I mostly use GameFAQs now since they have one of the most comprehensive databases, though I never have taken the quite large amount of time adding the several thousand games I own that aren’t in my library there. I may do that someday. Also I put a backup of the spreadsheet online so it isn’t only on my computer.

As for the sites online though, GameFAQs has a quite comprehensive listing of console games. Their computer game listings aren’t as complete, however. For that, Mobygames is definitely the best. Most of the time those two are the only online databases I need, though once in a while other sites are needed to find missing info for my spradsheet, from sites that don’t all have listing functions built in, such as KLOV for arcade games or Game Data Room for Japanese-region release info on classic platforms. That site has exact release info for pretty much everything released in Japan on older formats.

As for sites which focus on listing your collection, they are smaller sites so while I definitely haven’t tried all of them, usually they either seem to be just ‘type it all in yourself’ so I’d rather use a spreadsheet since it’s so much more versatile, or they have a pretty incomplete collection. For instance, I just looked at RF Generation again, and with the very first platform on my list, the 3DO, I found like at least ten games I own that aren’t in their database, mostly Japanese import games. I have 80-something 3DO games, so that’s a lot missing. That’s what I remember that site being like, pretty incomplete. That doesn’t exactly make me want to spend more time adding things there. The ability to mass add games to your library is nice though, sure, but the spotty library will continue to keep me from wanting to use the site.

That’s how you do it. I kept wanting to click on my collection so I kept wasting time going through sub menus there and seeing that nothing in the URL would link to my actual collection for someone. I feel dumb.

1 Like

Do people add their digital games to their collections also? I see them listed in RF Generations but not sure if it’s worth the time investment to record them all…

I think I’m maybe halfway through my collection to get it recorded but not sure.

I didn’t bother doing digital, as I’ve only gone digital with the Switch which came after my big RFG push.

I don’t bother with adding digital. It doesn’t make sense to me.

The collection tracker at http://www.gamevaluenow.com seems to be DOA. Anyone else able to get into it? I’m bummed if it’s been shut down.

1 Like

Works fine for me

The link to the Collection Tracker works?

https://collection.gamevaluenow.com/

I noticed that yesterday. Thought it was just a bit of downtime. Sucks to see it not working… Hope all is OK because I really loved that tool. Used it quite a bit lately. I just check FB and Twitter and did a Google search for some news here and see nothing. Seems like they might have pushed an update that broke it?

Yeah, it caught me out while shopping on Saturday. I can’t always remember all the Genesis stuff I have and I couldn’t look games up!

GVN was down for a couple of weeks then came back for a day or two and now is down again.

Hmm. Thanks for that info. Strange. Hope it doesn’t go under… You’d think they could email all users to utilize their Twitter account. Not a good look. It would suck to put that kind of effort into inputing the data and then have it wiped. Ugh.

Yeah. It’s a bummer. It was also free so I can’t complain. I just wish they’d communicate so I can decide how to proceed. I need a list I can carry around with me!

Yeah they need to tell us something. Twitter and Facebook are a thing. Also, they have everyone’s email address from sign up. C’mon…

1 Like

100%. It’s frustrating.

I’m beginning to think they got hacked.

retrocollect.com has been down for days for me and they have a huge database. Could it be related? I have never used GVN so don’t really have an idea.

retrocollect changed ownership last year and the new owner has a new baby