Between low definition and HD, there was 480p!

Looks sharp as heck!

I don’t normally do this but I adjusted the phase after taking those photos, yeah it’s super sharp and best of all full screen

3 Likes

Do you use a reverse-LPF setting of 3? I think I’ve seen that recommended somewhere

No I don’t like the reverse LPF, I find it introduces ugly artifacts. I’d honestly prefer a bit more soft look horizontally, but I can’t seem to get that without really blurry edges in this mode.

What you have here looks good. Does the upsample x2 soften it in anyway?

No it seems to not have an effect.

Wii + GBS8200 to VGA = 1 frame lag

A great solution for pixel perfect on my 640x480 display.

Better than my Extron and Wii HDMI-VGA solutions which were both 2 frames of lag.

1 Like

Marvel vs. Capcom 2 [Sega Dreamcast]
ViewSonic - Graphics Series G225f
Sega Dreamcast VGA Box HKT-8100
ArcadeForge - Scanline Generator SLG3000 v2

5 Likes

Fatal Fury - Garou: Mark Of The Wolves [Sega Dreamcast]

4 Likes

Capcom vs. SNK 2: Millionaire Fighting 2001 [Sega Dreamcast]

7 Likes

Quite a few Xbox 360 games support 4:3 output, and those that support 640x480 generally offer better performance and/or more stable framerates.

3 Likes

Is there a list of games that do that?

Nothing comprehensive as far as I know.

1 Like

Anyone tried nes/snes/genesis/saturn/psx using a 2x scale via OSSC/retrotink/Frammeister etc. to one of these? I would love to see photos.

I’ve had 240p content running on my Philips via my Wii and PS2 using a GBS. Looks phenomenal.

The only photo I took is the Cannonball Out Run photo in the scanlines thread.

Scanlines and the chunky RGB pixels give a very CRT mask style image. I’ll take some more photos next time!

I don’t have any of those other scalers you mention.

1 Like

This is the list I use @poptart

http://www.benoitren.be/43ar-x360.html
Updated Feb 2020 shmups thread

@Gravitone check it out. I’ll submit my games 480p results when I can.

It would be good to put year column in there because it seems that support dwindled throughout the life of the console. Same with the Wii. Many later games only support wide-screen.

Picked up NFS Most Wanted for 360. Gorgeous 640x480p support.

Cinematics are letterboxed. HUD is a bit cramped.

1 Like

The ps2 can output 480p over component, and some games look pretty good in progressive scan mode.
Perfect way to test out my edtv’s component over dvi input support. Sadly the photo doesn’t really do the real world experience enough justice. I was worried my edtv image processing would mangle the component input signal, but that’s not the case at all.

2 Likes

This is how I use my Wii, PS2 (and PS1) and Xbox 360 on the Philips EDTV.

It’s a shame 480p support on PS2 is so anaemic. But it’s worth seeking out the titles that do support it, and using GSM to persuade a bunch more too.

PS1 240p over component using the PS2 requires a GBS to get a steady picture on my Philips EDTV.

Xbox 360 also to a lesser extent with 640x480 VGA support, as you know.

Wii really shines on this setup as every game supports it. Perfection.

How does 480i content look on these sets. Any benefit to OSSC handling deinterlacing vs the set itself (obviously each set is different!) Curious if anyone has compared with their respective sets.