Broke my wrist, give me one handed games to play

I have that one too! Mass Attack is fantastic.

1 Like

I regret selling my copy of Mass Attack. I used to play as a perfectionist back in 2011 when the game released so I would be annoyed about missing extras or the challenge medals(?) which you would have to replay the entire level to stand any chance of getting again.

Was always puzzled as to why a 2D game like it was 30fps though.

As for other one-handed DS gems:

• Golden Sun: Dark Dawn could be played entirely with the stylus I think.

But more arcade-like games also come to mind:

• Pac-Pix
  • Pac 'n Roll
  • Yoshi Touch & Go
  • Air Traffic Chaos/I am an Air Traffic Controller
  • Kirby Canvas Curse
  • Ouendan series

And adventure-y type games, if you haven’t played them or don’t mind revisiting them:

• Hotel Dusk
  • Last Window (excellent followup to Hotel Dusk)
  • Ace Attorney series (of course…)
  • Ghost Trick
  • Layton series

There are some games where I’m not entirely sure are button-free:

• Might and Magic: Clash of Heroes
  • Infinite Space
  • Meteos
  • Planet Puzzle League (presentation is a bit too sterile to be honest)
  • Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword
  • Picross 3D
  • Devil Survivor (did this one even have touch support for everything? Played the 3DS port)
  • Trauma Center
  • The World Ends With You

All hail the DS stylus?

2 Likes

Let’s not forget MaBoShi (Wii, DS) which can be played one-handed IIRC

Wii

DS (see the dumping thread if you need help extracting the ROM from the WiiWare game)

1 Like

PAKO Forever on Apple TV can be played 1-handed, I play it when I have the baby on my chest.

Yup, all the games support one-handed play thanks to the close positioning of A, B and the D-Pad. Great stuff.

…Now I have the Circle music in my head just from looking at that YouTube thumbnail!

As farfetched as it may seem, EarthBound is entirely playable with a single hand. However, it’s the left one! L serves as a overall confirmation button and Select returns, while Select+L opens up the menu. Not saying it’s the most confortable setup ever, but it’s quite doable for a game which doesn’t require many reflexes other than the odd boss fight and is actually best enjoyed if you think of it as leisure.

Don’t have any suggestions on action games, though. Sorry! Maybe Duck Hunt on the Wii U? (honestly love that one) Or Ghost Squad!

How’s it going @Peltz?

I can play using both hands again. Still in a custom molded splint for the next few weeks so have to hold the controllers that have prongs (like the DS4 or N64 controller) in some odd angles since I have plastic obstructing my left palm, but it is almost feeling natural now.

Playing anything using split joycons or the Wii’s nunchuck poses the most issues - those split setups are really designed to meld with the left hand’s natural contours. Fortunately, I can tell that they’ll pose no issue when I am allowed to stop wearing the splint.

Pads with no left prong like NES, SNES, Genesis, etc as well as arcade sticks feel completely natural.

Overall, feeling nearly certain my dexterity will be 100% again in a few weeks.

2 Likes

That’s great news.

As a plus, you could probably argue that playing games will help with your recovery.

1 Like

Good to hear you can get some use out of that arm. We wouldn’t want you looking like Quagmire once the cast comes off.

How well are you with point and click?

It’s my non-dominate wrist that’s injured so point and click poses no issues.

Also, I have full use of it when typing and such - it’s just that I occassionally type wrong keys now that I wouldn’t have previously since I can’t feel when the splint accidentally taps a key.