Game Boy/Color/Advance OT + Collecting Thread - Get into it!

That’s a wrap for Ikari no Yousai 2! I found it to be much improved over its predecessor. Health pickups are now finite and fixed to a small number of locations throughout each level, rather than as random drops from enemies, and the enemy designs are more fierce and deadly.

The level design picks up straight off the back of Fortified Zone, which is a Very Good Thing. Levels are multi-floored, screen-by-screen scrolling dungeons, and you often have to check the map and test your spatial awareness skills to figure out where you’re meant to head next. There was one obtuse moment where I spent half an hour backtracking through the final level, turns out I was meant to destroy two tiles to the bottom right here:

Wasn’t obvious considering where I thought I was meant to be going, so do keep that in mind if you play it. But I highly recommend it all the same, especially if you’re a fan of its SNES followup, Operation Logic Bomb (I know @DaveLong played through it again a few months ago - check this out if you haven’t :slight_smile:)

I’m now intrigued by game designer/director Tomoji Omotani’s other works at Jaleco, like Super Ninja-kun. Anyone know if that’s any good? The only Jajamaru game I’ve played is Hamster’s 3DS revival.

4 Likes