Tracking Games Beaten in 2020

[24(Redux)] Mr Driller: Drill Land - Level 2

After another ten hours of play across the last couple of weeks I managed to clear all attractions on level 2 difficulty, great arcade-like difficulty structure to a superb and varied puzzler.

Game Boy Madness:

[28] Kirby’s Dream Land

Played through this leisurely, and then with razor-sharp focus for Extra Mode. This is another case of the Game Boy bringing a less-is-more approach to game to design through to the late 90s, I was astounded by how much they get out of what is now a comparably tiny amount of content compared with later Kirby games. And I wouldn’t have wanted any more - it’s the definition of a fully formed game.

[29] Trip World

Short but sweet journey through a surreal world of nature and, er, cake.

[30] Balloon Kid

[31] Ikari no Yousai (Fortified Zone)

[32] Ikari no Yousai 2

[33] Bomberman GB 3
I was wrong to think single player Bomberman couldn’t intrigue me again, this is a wonderful game.

[34] Gargoyle’s Quest
I’m fond of its mix of flying, ledge-grabbing and platforming and the presentation is impressive, but Gargoyle’s Quest is perhaps a bit too limited in scope, with the jumps/gaps/enemies/levels becoming more precise, narrower, more plentiful and longer. Since you’ll have mastered the game a fair bit before it ends the final boss was like watching paint dry! I’m excited about playing the sequel on NES further down the line, though.

1 Like