Getting Creative with Controller Adapters

I’ve been on a kick lately of buying a variety of controller adapters. Usually I buy them with one purpose in mind, for example an SNES to GameCube adapter to use SNES controllers with Game Boy Player, and end up with a bunch more ideas on some interesting ways you can make use of them.

Since I’ve come up with a fair few I thought I’d dump them out here and ask if anyone else has good ideas to share for using controller adapters.

Some major themes:

I’m chaining adapters, especially with bluetooth, so I’m probably adding some lag. But the adapters listed here are higher quality adapters to begin with and have very low latency: I don’t really notice the any problematic lag. That may be more noticeable if your chain already has some lag and the cumulative lag just gets to be too much.

Another thing I keep finding is that bluetooth is like glue. If you can get any wired controller to bluetooth you can likely connect it to anything else. I spent a long time not wanting to deal with bluetooth for lag + pairing reasons but if you can get past that it’s really kinda magical.

8bitdo bluetooth adapters

NES retro receiver

This I got originally to use with an 8bitdo dogbone NES pad conversion kit.

Since then have gotten hold of an official Switch Famicom Joycon set, and it makes a really great pair, aside from the charging being a bit awkard. There’s something really cool about an official wireless FC controller for real NES games.

I’m not quite ready to pull the trigger yet but I’m really considering converting my Famicom ASCII Stick to be fully wireless using a brook wireless board, which would make a great pairing with this adapter

SNES retro receiver

Another case of the original plan being official SuFami pad + conversion kit.

Then I got ahold of a SuFami mini classic controller, which when connected to a Wii Remote makes for a nice semi-wireless option with a fully new OEM pad.

I was so into the above that I pulled the trigger on a US SNES style Switch Online controller. This very quickly became my main SNES controller.

I have a dirty secret that I don’t much like the SNES d-pad for Zelda, so for playing Link to the Past I’m rather fond of using a Wii Classic Controller attached to a Wii Remote and connecting over bluetooth. The dpad there just is easier to use diagonals with.

Genesis retro receiver

Surprisingly I never once used this on my Genesis. I have a 2.4ghz controller for my actual Genesis, which in retrospect I wish I had just got the bluetooth one for the added flexibility.

I got this to use with my MSX! I leave it connected to an MSX JoyMega adapter, and then connected up my Famicom ASCII Stick via a Famicom to NES adpater chained to an NES to Classic Controller adapter connected to a Wii remote (more on this later). This is a really great pair because there is an official similar ASCII Stick for MSX but it’s very expensive, and the 2 button layout is perfect for MSX.

Another good MSX use: the “Player 2” Switch Famicom Joycon, which completely lacks start+select, but since MSX really only uses a dpad and 2 buttons it makes a rather nice wireless MSX pad.

NES Classic Edition retro receiver

I originally bought this to pair with the raphnet Classic Controller to GameCube adapter mentioned below. Unfortunately these two adapters together make it so the analog stick is perma-mapped to dpad, so this won’t be an effective combo to use a Switch Pro Controller on GameCube. However it does make for a nice way to connect my wireless-modded Astro City Stick to play Soul Calibur 2 with.

This adapter seems to have a mode like above when it thinks it’s connected to an NES/SNES Classic Edition to map the analog to dpad. But when it’s connected to a Wii Remote, it acts fully like a Classic Controller Pro! First thing I tried was using an Xbox One controller like this, bluetooth to Wii Remote back to bluetooth to Wii. This was something to experience once and never again.

However I very quickly discovered it’s great and very appropriate to connect a Wii U Pro Controller for a fully wireless but very similar look&feel Classic Controller, as dumb as it may seem to leave a battery powered wii remote connected to a dongle just left somewhere.

GBros adapter (GC / CC to Switch Bluetooth)

File this one under acting like glue. Bluetooth is the glue of adapters.

So ostensibly, I use this for GameCube controllers on Switch. That became somewhat redundant when I got ahold of the HORI Battle Pad for Switch.

Then it got a good life as a NES/SNES CC → Switch option, and now as a more flexible option than the offical Switch pads as you can turn on a mode to force dpad to work as analog for games like Link’s Awakening.

Recently I got ahold of some Brook adapters for Genesis / PCE / Saturn / DC / PS. I’ll go into how this thing is useful with those in a later section.

Awkwardly this thing just does not work at all with 8bitdo’s retro receiver line.

Raphnet adapters

SNES to GameCube

This one’s obvious right? I mentioned above but it’s great to use with a Game Boy Player.

When I first got a Switch it also became a useful way to use SNES controllers with Switch, as you can chain it into the official Smash Bros GameCube to USB adapter for Switch, and sure enough any game that lets you use only a dpad and basic inputs works.

Howabout chaining it to an 8bitdo SNES bluetooth adapter? All of a sudden the Switch Online SNES pad works on GameCube, and really any bluetooth controller should work just fine as long as you’re OK being limited to dpad.

GameCube to N64

When I bought this adapter I hadn’t developed the appreciation for the N64 pad I now have. So while I haven’t used it as much as I expected, it does still make a nice option for some games or perhaps someday a N64 allergic 3rd/4th player can make better use of it.

You can also chain this adapter with the SNES to GameCube adapter above to get an SNES pad for the few games that really makes sense in, such as Puyo Puyo SUN.

Classic Controller to GameCube

I had high hopes for this one but alas as mentioned above paired with the 8bitdo CC retro receiver it doesn’t operate to what you’d expect.

However, it does make a really nice way to bring the Classic Controller family into use on GameCube. The original Classic Controller is a good fit, with the analog triggers it is usable in any GC game but has a much better dpad. The CC Pro of course, preferably with the adapter mode set to change ZL/ZR to L/R.

Howabout the NES&SNES Classic Edition pads? Sure enough it’s useful here, actually the first chance I have to use an NES pad directly on my GC.

It gets a bit more interesting when you remember HORI developed a Wii branded GameCube styled Classic Controller for Wii U, right around the release of Smash 4. The lack of analog triggers means some games aren’t workable, Mario Sunshine & Luigi’s Mansion for example, but non-analog triggers are preferable IMO for games like Zelda where you’re pressing L & R a lot. I could see this combo getting some good use in the future.

Then I remembered that Switch Famicom Joycon had teeny tiny L & R buttons, and hey paired with the 8bitdo CC Bluetooth adapter that might make a good Game Boy Player controller, as long as the GBA game makes non-frequent use of L & R.

Famicom Expansion to NES

Barely an adapter, really just connects pins. But the expansion port on the AV Famicom is awkwardly located on the side, and downright inconviniently located on the back of the Analogue NT Mini. So for Famicom accessories, like my ASCII Stick, it’s a nice-to-have.

But then, get creative and you can take the NES output into a HyperKin NES to Classic Controller adapter (mentioned below), and all of a sudden it’s usable on my Wii, GameCube, MSX, and even via a Brook adapter on PC Engine.

HyperKin Adapters

NES to Classic Controller

A nice way to use a Dogbone controller with a Wii, or paired with a GBros adapter on a Switch.

But this also acts as a great middleman for getting any NES controller out to bluetooth via a Wii Remote. Once you get to bluetooth you can then pair to any other bluetooth adapter. Got an SNES game that would play well with an NES pad? This can be an interesting option. Yeah there’s the option of getting a passive NES to SNES pad for that one but you can kinda let your mind run at the possibilities.

SNES to Classic Controller

Similar to the above I like this for letting me use my battle-worn SuFami pad on Switch via GBros adapter, or as a middleman in a bluetooth-is-glue chain. It’s good for use with other SNES accessories, or in my case a BX Foundries BX-110 stick as well, to get them usable on Wii/Switch/Other.

Brook Adapters

Since most of these are pretty similar, I thought it made sense to write out some common things here.

I’ll say right off the bat I bought all of these with the intention to make it easier to use a modern stick with old consoles. This is a common use case and a large variety of sticks are supported. I was disappointed to see that the stock Astro City Mini stick doesn’t work, as it doesn’t conform to a PS3/PS4/Switch-style USB HID, but it may in the future as they all get frequent firmware updates.

I have a common complaint to the USB/Bluetooth to X adapters: they do not have a button to initiate a “pairing mode.” You need to connect over USB to get things paired. This means right off the bat connecting the ideas I’ve mentioned before about connecting things via Wii Remote don’t work, you can’t connect a Switch Famicom Joycon at all, 8bitdo kit-modded controllers can’t sync, and there’s certainly more I’m not thinking of.

Super Converter USB/Bluetooth to Genesis/PCE

Intended to use this with a stick, and certainly a wireless modded Astro City stick connected to Genesis is a joy I didn’t know I needed in my life but now it’s hard to imagine living without it.

It gets more interesting when I wanted to hook my ASCII Stick up to the PC Engine, for some nice 2 button action of course. In this case the adapt-it-to-a-Wii-Remote trick doesn’t work. But you can pair an 8bitdo GBros adapter to the Super Converter via its USB connection, and then connect any Classic Controller up to that.

So that let me do ASCII Stick → Raphnet Famicom to NES → Hyperkin NES to CC → GBros → Brook Super Converter to PCE and have a wired or semi-wireless connection for that. It sounds convoluted but once connected it just works and it doesn’t feel laggy.

Getting a bit less convoluted howabout just connecting an NES Classic Edition controller up to the GBros for use with PCE+Super Converter? Feels really appropriate, and a lot better than any PCE Controller I own including the HORI Fighting Commander PC especially for games that only use 2 buttons. Or if the hard angles on the NES pad get to me, a dogbone controller → Hyperkin NES to CC adapter → GBros → Brook Super Converter PCE.

Super Converter USB/Bluetooth to PS

These are really intended to use a PS3 or PS4 controller on PS2. That’s a nice use case, as it gives you a good wireless controller option. I’ve gotten very used to a DualShock 3 for PS1 games on PSPgo so that’s certainly something to think about.

But again using a wireless stick on PS was the reason I got this. Much as I love my Namco PS Stick, playing SEGA AGES games on PS2 with an Astro City Stick? Yes please.

However the USB functionality opens up a lot more doors. Ever heard of the SEGA PS2 controller that’s nearly identical to a Saturn controller? Hard to come by these days. But you can fairly easily get RetroBit Sega Saturn controllers – here USB and bluetooth controllers obviously work, but I bought a 2.4ghz Saturn controller and it… oh it came with a USB adapter as well for 2.4GHz and yep can just connect that to the Super Converter and it works. Wireless Saturn Controller connected to my PS2; I’m not into fighting games but it’s a nice option to have, especially for the SEGA AGES titles.

Wingman SD (USB/Bluetooth to Saturn/Dreamcast)

Obviously using a stick on Saturn is great. It’s a lot less great, IMO, on Dreamcast where outside of fighting games most stuff really used that analog stick.

But it got me thinking, I don’t really like the Dreamcast controller. In fact I think it’s downright terrible. What other controller could I use on it that would feel appropriate? It turns out connecting a white Xbox One controller, which looks the part and has ABXY in the right places, feels absolutely fantastic for use on Dreamcast, it even has appropriate feeling triggers, and the adapter has memory for a fake VMU built-in. I haven’t played too much on DC since I got this adapter but this option is kinda transformative for me – it would really make using a Dreamcast a lot more interesting.

This thing has also been recently updated to allow use of any USB keyboard on DC. Really need to try that with Typing of the Dead.

PS to USB

This I very straightforwardly got to connect a PS1 DualShock 1 up for use on PS3/PS4. I’ve also used it with my Namco PS Stick on PS3, but not had any creative ideas here. But who knows, there certainly are a lot of X to PS adapters out there, maybe I’ll come up with something else to use it with.

7 Likes

Superb.

Would love to see some photos of these.

Here’s one I took of the RetroBit 2.4GHz Saturn controller connected to PS2:

Wish I had taken some of the more ridic adapter chains.

I guess I could update the OP with some generic product photos (edit: done)

3 Likes

Before the SNES and NES controllers came out for Switch via the Switch Online, I used my Hori GB Player controller with the official GCN adapter for Smash to play a bunch of 2D games like Puyo Puyo Tetris and Sonic Mania.

Another fun one is to get adapters to hook up retro controllers to the Wii’s GCN controller ports for Virtual Console. Playing Alien Soldier in English with a real 3 button Genesis pad is far more enjoyable than using the Classic Controller (Pro). Of course, if you have a Genesis flashcart, this is becomes obsolete since real hardware is obviously preferable.

A more crazy chain would be going from Genesis to GCN to Switch using the converters mentioned above to play Sonic Mania with a real Genesis controller.

2 Likes

I’m planning on using an 8bitdo DIY original Saturn pad conversion on Mega Drive via the retro receiver.

Never been a big fan of any of the Mega Drive pads, 3 button is kinda bad, western 6 button is fine but not a fan of the shape, and Sega’s plastic quality and controller cords quality in that era were poor.

But I LOVE the Saturn pad, fixed pretty much every issue. I’ve been using in Dreamcast for 2D since day 1, Now finally I’ll be able to play all Sega games with the Saturn pad! I also have the PS2 Saturn pad which I use for PS1/2 and a USB one for PS3 onward, so almost all my 2D gaming on non-Nintendo is with that pad. And now I can also use the bluetoothed Saturn pad on Switch!

That said I’ll stick with the Mark III pad for 8-bit, it just hits right despite also having cheap plastic. Or could try using by DIY Famicom on it, a better dpad really helps some games.

Just waiting all the gear to arrive to make this happen.

On an unrelated point, my set up now is quite close to a small screen, so short Japanese cords actually work fine for me now. Was thinking of looking into wireless PC Engine, but probably won’t bother now.

1 Like

Nice idea for a thread!

I have three Raphnet converters: SNES to GCN for Wii VC and SNES & NES to USB. I use the SNES to USB mostly for MiSTer. I had planned on using the NES one too, but I generally find myself just using the SNES pad for NES games - actually haven’t opened the NES one yet. I’m thinking of getting a Genesis to USB one too. The SNES pad on Genesis games just feels wrong, lol.

I recently picked up a Brook PS to USB converter which I’ll use for an arcade stick on MiSTer (stick was purchased last week but still en route to me).

1 Like

Try the arcade stick with Genesis games on Mister. It feels so right to play most Genesis games like that.

1 Like

Ha, I saw this tweet this morning and he was using a stick. I’m looking forward to trying it out. I’ve never owned an arcade stick.

One of my Neo Geo AES arcade sticks with seimitsu-modded buttons just stopped working on my consolized MVS inexplicably. Not sure what happened. I decided to grab a brook PS3/4 to NEO GEO AES Brook converter to bridge the gap and have a full sized arcade stick when I play.

What am I in for? I’ve heard that Brook converters are excellent, but are they really lag free?

I have heard that it adds about a frame of delay.

He tests it at 10:11 in the video.

Check out the test here: https://youtu.be/1H0tri4MQ0c

These days I only have a select few consoles hooked up, and I would like to go wireless with all of them if I can. For this I’d mostly lean on the BlueReto adapters. I am just finding out about these but hear they’re low lag and are widely compatible. My main question is has anyone here used BlueRetro and if so, do you recommend it? It seems almost too good to be true.

I am looking tokit out a N64, Wii, and Saturn with adapters, along with a Brook XB2 for Xbox.

I did have a few questions though, and figured this was a good thread to ask in.

N64: What’s the best N64 controller replacement with a stick that is very close to the original? I have used GC controllers in the past and they’re not quite right.

Wii: Will a Gamecube Blueretro work on a Wii? Does anyone have recommendations on a specific wireless Gamecube controller to use? Is a Wavebird worth it/better?

Saturn: SaturnBT or BlueRetro to use with 8bitdo M30? Not sure if the SaturnBT form factor is worth it or not.

I have a couple BlueRetro things now, the N64 dingledongle and a replacement controller board for GameCube.

I don’t have a ton of experience with them but I am not impressed.

Compatibility is poor in my experience. They don’t work with my Brook wireless boards so that threw my reason to use it with GC out the window. They have some bizzare button maps which need manual overriding if you try to use a GBros with a real GC controller. They also don’t work properly with the 8bitdo mod kit for N64 controllers, they kinda work but any time you resync the button map is a joke.

I took the board out of my GameCube entirely because the reset button stopped working properly and it makes the LED blue which is super garish.

They also all have this really annoying quirk where they go into pairing mode as soon as they are turned on for 10 seconds. Which sounds great, except that the pairing button which you need to hold in virtually every other BlueTooth thing I’ve used instead you need to press just once and if you hold it it completely wipes out any custom settings you took the time to put in. Which is made worse by the UI to put those in being quite poor and difficult to use.

For an N64 controller replacement if you want to use BlueRetro get the official Nintendo Switch Online N64 Controller. The 8bitdo mod with original stick is more faithful if it ever gets properly supported.

I ended up getting the Saturn version of the Aliexpress adapter. It pairs perfectly with the BT M30 I had languishing after trying the 2.4GHz model.

No issues so far with sync issues, hopefully they don’t crop up over time.

My wireless setups as of today:

Famicom/NES - 8bitdo bluetooth receivers and 8bitdo DIY kits for original NES, Dogbone and an adapted NES kit with a ribbon extension for an original Famicom controller
Rating: 9/10, works great and great to use the actual original pads.

Sega SG1000 and Mark III - 8bitdo bluetooth receiver with pin 7 clipped to work with Mark III. I’m now using an 8bitdo DIY Famicom dogbone pad
Rating: 8/10 - I’d love to use a real Mark III pad via a DIY kit, but that will likely never happen.

Sega Mega Drive - 8bitdo bluetooth receiver and 8bitdo DIY Saturn controller kit
Rating: 9/10, fantastic to use a Saturn pad which I vastly prefer to MD pads.

Super Famicom - 8bitdo bluetooth receivers and 8bitdo DIY SNES kit
Rating: 9/10, works great and great to use the actual original pads. I use a SNES Jr pad shell for extra cool points.

PC Engine - PCE BT Blueretro adapter, and 8bitdo DIY SNES kit
Rating: 9.5/10, usually I prefer to use original pads whenever possible, but now using a SNES on PCE it’s just… better.

Saturn - Retro-bit 2.4Ghz wireless Saturn pad and receiver.
Rating: 9/10, very authentic.

N64 - Blueretro reciever and N64 Switch online controller.
Rating: 9.5/10, works instantly and has a built-in memory card.

PS1/PS2 - Blueretro receiver from Aliexpress and PS3 Dual Shock 3 (which needs a fiddly process to sync). I also use a Retro-bit bluetooth Saturn controller for 2D games on it.
Rating: 8/10, works great but the receiver is a bit ugly and PS3 controller syncing is tricky,but once paired it stays set up.

Gamecube - Wavebird
Rating: 9.5/10 the GOAT for 20+ years used over several generations. Even used it on Switch via the official adapter.

Dreamcast - No suitable solution as of now IMO. I mostly use 2D controllers on Dreamcast, Been using Saturn pads via adapters for 20 years, so wanted to use a Saturn pad. Got a Blueretro based dongle thing off Aliexpress (with four controller ports) which works but doesn’t map buttons well for fighting games and doesn’t have a VMU slot.

There’s some new wireless pad that has a VMU dock dongle thing but it only goes with their own controller. Waiting for a good VMU supporting bluetooth dongle.

I think that’s everything?

3 Likes

Just like to point out that the Wavebird is incredible. When I think back to that time and how I would say to people online that every controller in the next generation should be wireless out of the box and the response went from a “pffft” to being actively angry at that idea… well, all of them can bite me.

1 Like

I saw a review when it came out that likened it to feeling of using the GBA SP, which was really the first power-efficient backlit handheld.

A massive feeling of liberation. Play at any angle without worry, with a long lasting rechargable battery, it just made play more relaxing.

The Wavebird instantly made playing other consoles feel ancient.

1 Like