I just bought a Mega CD for the first time... game recommendations?

Title is pretty self-explanatory. I’ve never even seen one in person before, they’re so rare to see here. I won an auction last night for a Mega Drive 2 with a Mega CD 2.

It comes with Road Avengers, but I have very little knowledge of what’s good on this system/add-on. I want to get Sonic CD just for fun, but what else would RGB recommend?

1 Like

Taking price completely out of the equation, some of the best games are Popful Mail, Snatcher, both Lunar games, Shining Force CD, Dark Wizard, Vay ONLY with the patch that fixes the balancing hackjob that WD did, Robo Aleste…

A lot of these games are extremely expensive now though.

1 Like

Sol Feace, Sonic CD, Final Fight CD, Silpheed, Mansion of Hidden Souls and Cliffhanger are good games.

1 Like

To add on to Aeana’s list, these are some of the other games I have/want/are good on the system.

Android Assault - Good shoot em up with a transforming robot
Heart of the Alien - This is “Out of this World” 1 and 2.
Keio Flying Squadron - Good, super expensive, cute em up
Lords of Thunder - Another good shoot em up that is pretty easy and has multiple ships/power ups
Missadventures of Flink - Really nice looking side scrolling adventure game.
Soul Star - Another shooter…from core this time. Aeana took up most of the other standouts

Then there are some games that are available on multiple systems that you may already have, but are good on the Sega CD. Guess Lords of Thunder counts as this as well. Stuff like Ecco the Dolphin, Earthworm Jim, Mickey Mania, Final Fight, and Streets of Rage. Some may be improved ports.

Then there are a few games that are “decent enough” but nothing special. Like the Terminator game or Batman Returns.

Prepare your wallet.

1 Like

Whoa Popful Mail looks awesome! But damn that price skyrocketed.

1 Like

Sure did. Is an amazing game too, even if it’s another one that got hit by difficulty adjustments from WD. It is defiantly one of the games I wish I “overpaid” for a while back since the price is so much worse now.

1 Like

Megadrive ports are very often superior to the original games. Not always, but they are worth looking at even if you already have the cartridge.

I heartily recommends both Ecco the dolphin, and Mickey Mania. Superior ports with an excellent soundtrack. Dune also looks and sounds fantastic.

1 Like

Thanks everyone! Keep ‘em coming!

I don’t mind about price either; if I find a game I really love I don’t mind saving for it and waiting for a relative bargain.

DEVASTATOR

1 Like

Lords of Thunder is great. It’s not super long and it’s quite easy, though.

1 Like

Panic! is an interesting button pushing experience.

1 Like

Peags, if you like Point and Click adventures, there’s some pretty cool ones on the system. Snatcher is a gem (though it really plays more like a visual novel). Rise of the Dragon is another really cool Cyperpunk game by Dynamix, which was ported from PC but they added really good voice acting (Main character is Cam Clarke, aka Liquid Snake). It’s still relatively cheap too, I believe. I really enjoyed the Jurassic Park point and click adventure back in the day: think Myst meets Dinosaurs.

Road Avenger is arguably the best FMV game ever, so you’re covered with that one. If you like it, I would recommend Time Gal as another great FMV game for the system.

The Ecco the Dolphin ports have amazing redbook audio music, and I believe are still cheap as well.

1 Like

Do you have a Mega Everdrive ? The top model acts as a CD ram cart for saves and you can also load a region free bios from it as well.

Also worth noting that there is no copy protection on the Mega CD.

1 Like

F1: Beyond the Limit and Jaguar XJ220 are both excellent racing games of the time. You may need to recalibrate your racing game graphics eyeballs for them, but they definitely stand up well.

1 Like

Sonic CD and Snatcher are great fun titles. For the sake of hilarious cheesiness, I recommend Fahrenheit and Corpse Killer.

1 Like

Yeah, we got most of the good games covered so why not the “good” games.

The system doesn’t have a lot, but the gems shine pretty brightly and make it worth it.

1 Like

Jurassic Park – I loved that game!

1 Like

Does Dark Wizard have an actual story, or is it just sets of missions?

Yes, each character has a different story. It’s mainly at the front and back ends of the game, although there’s a bit of dialog in between maps.