Looking for a compact arcade stick that isn't junk

Oooooh! Thank you!!

Meh… a shorter throw doesn’t make a stick better in my humble opinion.

Oh yeah, I didn’t mean to make it sound like it was universally better, it was just what I was looking for when I modded my stick. The great thing about a JLF is you have tons of modding options since it’s the most common stick.

I already went ahead and dropped a Sanwa stick into mine. It took all of about 8 or 9 minutes to do. Was super easy and quick. I just took a quick look at some Seimitsu sticks and it LOOKS like they have the same connector on them as the Sanwa sticks. Looking at Focus Attack it seems the wiring layout is a little different, but it looks like if you just rotate the connector cable 180 degrees it works perfectly. Ohh yeah you need to buy a JST XH Female to Female 5 pin cable to connect the Sanwa (or Seimitsu) stick to the F300. They’re cheap as hell though.

And the mounting plates on the Seimitsu LOOK a little shorter but it could just be a bad camera angle or something.

It seems like a Seimitsu should drop into it easily, and the Seimitsu sticks I’m seeing even support the Sanwa Ball or Battops.

Though my friend is hooking me up with this powder coated aluminum battop and I can not wait.

I’m trying to get into Robotron 2084 these days and I’m looking for twin arcade stick options. After trying and failing to adjust to using my HRAP for it (the button layout is just a little too skewed for me to adjust to for directional shooting), I’m using a PDP Versus pad like this one and it’s pretty nice, a definite upgrade from the Buffalo SNES pad I had been using.

I have still been wanting to try a dual-stick setup though. It looks like the options would be to:

1. Buy a second arcade stick (I use MAME so I could just remap the controls).
  2. Buy a premade two-player stick like the Tankstick or HSS-0130 (the only two I really know of)
  3. Get something custom.

As much as I would love a HSS-0130, after looking at prices I am thinking the way to go is going to be to try and find a cheaper 1-player stick and just remap controls. Thoughts? Is there an easier way to get a true twin-stick arcade setup? Do you think it makes a major difference??

Just a thought:

If there’s room, you can order a 24mm circle drill bit and make a hole. And get another pcb, but that’s cheaper than a whole stick. You can use epoxy to mount it, as long as you don’t drop it down the stairs or something.

Madcatz also used to make their premium Street Fighter x Tekken stick connectable on the side, so you could attach two together. Not sure about prices these days on that.

Edit: changed 30mm to 24mm

Quite expensive and maybe not what you’re looking for, but looks interesting

https://bluetipgaming.com/product/axis-1-pro/
https://vimeo.com/160409652

I like the design of that a lot, I could see that being a very cool general emulation controller.

I may just drop in another Joystick. I have an extra LS-56 anyway, I just have to get a board and wire things up. I actually have a set of 8 spare buttons too, so I could just take the guts out of the HRAP and make a custom 2-player stick. It would probably cost as much as buying a used stick though.

the reason you want a seimitsu ls-32 for precise movement games is that the diagonals are not activated too rarely like the the JLF or too easily like the ls-56, and gradual increase in tension of the levers on the switches makes it easiet to feel the point where the switch will activate (although the original matsushita switches are sadly no longer being manufactured).

JLF are only for fighting games where brief accidental inputs are a worse problem than less precise timing of the inputs

this is all true regardless of throw or spring mods,

1 Like

I find that whatever stick you get used to should work fine for whatever you’re playing. I’m not really a fan of speaking in absolutes, as I’ve used JLFs for fighting games for years and find them fine for shmups also, including heavily modified versions.

If you’re saying the ls-32 is a good middle ground in the general stick area, I’d agree. If you’re saying certain arcade sticks, gates, colors, or pads are objectively inferior in controlling a game, I’m gonna have to disagree with you there.