Low Effort Discussion Thread 2021

Got it. Thanks for the info!

Yep new TV announcements are just days away. I think they actually release in March or April, though (LG anyway). I’m getting a look at new designs for our family room renovation this week so I’ll be in the market for an upgrade as well in the coming months. Shit is WAAAY more complex than the last time I shopped for a TV in 08, though. Wow.

Yesterday I started watching this 6 hour review of a dating sim I’d never heard of before:

And then unexpectedly enjoyed the video so much I watched the whole thing in an evening. I’d seen some of Tim Rogers videos before but his whole schtick usually gets on my nerves. But this game looks surprisingly great.

Then I bought a copy of the PS1 version on JP PSN using some yen I had sitting on there for the past 4 years. I’m not quite up to properly reading the level of Japanese in the game but I can probably get the jist without too much difficulty. Why am I trying to convince myself to actually play this game?

I’m also eyeing a copy of the Game Boy Color port which looks shockingly competent:

2 Likes

Funny, I started watching his PAC-Man review yesterday. Yeah his style is pretty odd, and I should be turned off by it, but I think it appeals to very narrow niche of 40-ish year old white dude nerds. He’s something else though. Wow. Crazy effort goes into these vids

1 Like

I have been watching these on and off over the last few weeks. I was loving his stuff for Kotaku, then he disappeared, and I didn’t get on to these early.

I got 3\5ths of the way through FF7 remastered, and while Hey interesting and well researched, I haven’t played either, so it wasn’t as relevant to me.

The Doom review is something else though. I loved it immensely. His “Point” didn’t quite get to the point, but certainly adds something important to that conversation (video game violence and real world associations).

Pac Man is great as well. I love that Tim asserts that, were it not for covid, he would have gotten a face-to-face with Toru Iwatani. I believe him.

He blends rigorous research, with over the top delivery and format, with semi autobiographical interludes, which dive deeply into that time in his life. I find them very entertaining, thought provoking, educational, and poignant.

If you can stomach his style, they might be the definitive reviews of these games.

I’m keen to get into the Tokimeki Memorial vid. He mentioned it in his 1994 year in review video he made for Kotaku. A deeper look sounds intriguing.

Specifically I think his sense of humor sucks. It’s not funny. And that’s 98% of the vocal delivery.

And when I’m not interested with the game he talks about it’s very boring. The Doom video is great because I feel the “video essay” aspect of it comes together pretty well. Same with this Tokimeki Memorial video; he’s right it’s an enormously important, incredibly impressive game.

I’d love to see his take on other non-localized non-fan-translated games like Tengai Makyou 2.

The video aspect he’s getting better at, though, and I think that’s been helping me enjoy them more. I can’t imagine the amount of work to produce & edit these videos, especially at the pace he’s putting them out.

It’s controversial, but I agree with Video Game Dunkey: Half-Life 2 was … a decent game but a deeply flawed one. It’s not a masterpiece like HL1.

What I remember most about HL2 is how tedious and boring the combat was, and that’s … kind of a critical problem for, y’know, a first person shooter. :crying_cat_face:

It’s a magic combination of generic weapons, brain dead AI, and really boring puzzles. Even on the hardest difficulty level, the firefights are just repetitive, and uninvolving and … so easy.

:point_up_2:

1 Like

I’ve felt this way for a long time. HL2 relied far more heavily on being cutting edge visually as well as gimmicky physics puzzles/combat. Time has made both those things a lot less impressive, and left a boring game whose bones just aren’t as timeless as the first game.

HL1 is a lot more fun to play.

1 Like

There are certainly better games today than HL2 but…

HL2 was for it’s time, one of the best games ever made, and it’s still fun to play today.

I finished Eps 1 and Eps 2 too, as well as all achievements for all three titles.

1 Like

Thanks to Ultima I could read level five’s runes. (although it took me a while this time). It’s funny to think when I was in school me and a friend would write to each other in ultima runes.

2 Likes

I HATE GETTING CHALLENGED TO PLAY SMASH ULTIMATE WHEN VISITING PEOPLE.

Like, no shit you’re going to win when we are playing on your tv with motion smoothing, cinematic modes, and tons of input lag, and I’m used to playing Melee on my CRT.

Shit feels awful. Every time I try to bring this up, their response is “what’s game mode?” Am I being a giant baby? Yea probably. But still, I barely even want to play when I’m feeling like 70 ms of lag on every input, and they’re feeling all smug because they beat me.

Forget the fact that I prefer the GCN controller setup, and was using a freaking Joy-Con. That’s almost besides the point.

/rant

Edit: Okay that’s not the end of my rant.

I don’t even know how I’m supposed to adjust my game to beat someone on such a setup. It really feels like a completely foreign experience, like playing with 10 thumbs or something.

4 Likes

What an amazing rant!

Lag is certainly real talk around here, but some people just don’t notice, or care.

Pretty galling to have your loss vindicate their choice too.

Is anybody else being blasted with these ShadowCast Kickstarter ads?

1 Like

Yeeep.

They must be spending obscene amounts on advertising.

1 Like

I’d imagine so. What do you think our demographic is?

I wonder what sort of targeting they’re doing. Gotta catch 'em all!

Thought of @Peltz when I saw this lol

Lol. Fascinating use of the license. Thanks for sharing!