Mockup port screens for other systems

I basically daydream about everything related to SNK post-Neo Geo being remade for the Neo Geo. I will try my hand at this sometime.

btw, sick topic.

Rock has that flattter, tiley look, kind of matches the Famicom games better than the pastels and smooth gradients of SNES.

Yoshi seems decent except for the sky! Pretty much every special effect and rotation would be cut though.

It’s probably the uppermost layer of the sky that looks off since it’s a very abrupt jump in color. It sticks out less if you just get rid of that part of the gradient. Regarding all the effects, of course, none of those would work on a stock SNES either.

yoshi2

Scaling and rotation stuff would. Most of yoshi runs on a stock SNES I believe, there were flash cart hacks that played. The transformations and 3D platforms and some effects (dizzy etc) are missing, making the game unplayable of couse haha.

Not scaling and rotation on sprites. The stock hardware only supports manipulating backgrounds like that.

Yeah with no SFX they disappear during effects like that.

You can do tricks like swapping in a background layer as the sprite though, with an invisible sprite in front of it, like the stone golem in Castlevania IV.

Any good youtube videoes of people messing about with deactivating FX chips or overclocking them etc?

wonderboy3

Wonder Boy (Adventure Island?) 3, NES style.

1 Like

wonderboy3

Did some further tweaks to it (and re-added the springboard I somehow forgot during the edit…). It actually uses less colors now, but ended up looking more colorful IMO due to smarter use. It’s fascinating how much flexibility you have with just 16 colors (or 12, in this case) by reusing different combinations of them in different contexts.

It’s Wonder Boy III: The Dragon’s Trap. It was renamed Adventure Island in Japan for the PC Engine release, despite that already being the western name for the Hudson Wonder Boy continuation series… And released as Dragon’s Curse in the US. And there was a completely different Wonder Boy III released for Mega Drive. You need a PDH in Wonder Boy to keep up with the nonsense in that series.

Anyway loving all these.

Trying something different this time… Arcade to Genesis mockup! Capcom’s Alien Vs Predator here

This is a lot more work since the larger/wider CPS2 assets have to be downscaled to a more appropriate size first. Fortunately the pixel art tool AseSprite comes with a scaling filter that does a lot of the grunt work, so much less touchup is needed compared to nearest neighbor. Also did some further optimizations like reducing the length of the xenomorph tails so they don’t take up as many tiles.

Background is 16 colors. Aliens are 8 colors. Player sprite is more but would likely be sharing from a common color pool, much like how games like Streets of Rage 2 handles things (I made the orange pants share some of the skin colors, which is also a solution Blaze’s outfit uses in SoR2)

2 Likes