NEC PC Engine/Turbografx |OT| – No friends to bring controllers? No problem!

I’m fairly certain I also did this with a master system controller and taking it apart and putting the rubber pads into a pc engine controller many a year ago…

Stopped by a local mom n’ pop store game that I rarely get to visit and was surprised to find that they had some Turbografx stuff in stock. Their retro stock has been declining for some time and at this point they barely even have a Genesis selection, so to have Turbografx stuff was unusual.

The prices seemed wildly expensive to me, but I don’t collect for this system so I have no idea if they were in line with the market or not.

They had (all prices Canadian):
System: $150
Bloody Wolf $70
Bonk’s Adventure $70
Dragon Spirit $40
Alien Crush $40
Bonk’s Revenge (card only) $40

Even tho I have a Turbografx (a great thrift shop find) I don’t collect for it. I did know off the top of my head that Alien Crush and of course Bonk were good games. I’d have probably picked them up if they were $20-30. The only Turbografx games I have is Keith Courage and Splatterhouse.

I received my modded SSDS3 back from Mobius Strip Tech with the FBX and Voultar mods, and after about an hour of Gradius 2 play it started freezing on me, and then it couldn’t read the SD card at times, until it finally just started giving me a grey screen and that’s it. So I’ve got a dead SSDS3 now :frowning:

Sending it back to Mobius Strip Tech to see if something went wrong with the mod.

Wow, that sucks, I hope you can sort that out soon.

Man, im this close to selling my white DuoR for a SSDS3 now that everythings fixed. I’m loving the Phoebe and GDEMU,not searching for discs is so nice for playing games you’d never have tried because you have to buy/burn them.

Not bad for Dragon Spirit actually… If I saw that, I’d probably have to buy it. I don’t collect for the system either, but I do love that game.

Welp just pulled the trigger on an SSDS3. If anyone here is looking for a RGB modded white Duo R with a turbo everdrive lmk. Dont see a reason for me to keep both.

Managed to find a Turbo Tap for $20 CAD locally. Pretty stoked about it!

Too bad I still only have one controller.

1 Like

I made a list of PC Engine games I want to play when I get the system in a year or 2…I already have over 50 games I want to play, which is impressive since I did it just for today!

Anyone else have the problem with the SSDS3 where a game just locks up? I have the newest revision. My buddy was playing Legendary Axe yesterday and twice it just froze mid battle with garbled pink graphics. I also had it happen one other time during Lords of Thunder where the game just reset to the CDrom menu and stayed there. I played through Ninja Spirit and it played fine.

For the Hucard games they are the same Smokemonster pack that I’ve been using for years on my Everdrive so I doubt its the rip.

That’s weird, 1st I heard of those problems for that.

I’ve read about it on the first revision but not the second. I’m not sure if its the PC Engine console either as I’ve never used it before buying the SSDS3.

Try grabbing a fresh nointro rom set and play again, just to rule out the fact that it may be the rom, or at least the rom and the SSD3 combined.

I’ll give it a shot,I cant image the Smokemonster pack being the problem though.

I recently picked up a copy of Super Darius II for PC Engine. I was surprised by how great the condition was, manual was perfect and the disc had very few marks. I also saw that PCE Works has released a reproduction of that game, so I started getting a little worried that I paid for repro instead of the actual game. Scouring the Ebay listings, I cannot find any obvious differences between the case, manual, and disc for the reproductions and the original (unless every copy on Ebay happens to be a reproduction).
Anyone know how to distinguish a legitimate Super Darius II from a repro?

Not sure about Darius, but my copy of Godzilla had the PCE Works logo on the back of the manual inside the case. That’s the only way I could tell on mine.

@Velinos wow I had no idea they were repro on the Super Darius games… looking at their website yup.

Nothing sacred anymore…

PCE works stuff is everywhere. Look at the sheer amount of sealed Dracula X games on Ebay, almost all repros.

Heck, my local Disc Replay took in a PCE Works Sylphia, thinking it was the real thing. They were asking almost 200 bucks for a repro.

Did a quick capture and edit of a bunch of IREM’s pc engine games running in the demo mode.

Real hardware RGB/OSSC and captured in Elgato game capture. I should have mixed the vigilante audio, a bit too much hiss for my liking…

2 Likes

Nice video, but that hissing though!