NEC PC Engine/Turbografx |OT| – No friends to bring controllers? No problem!

All PCE Works releases have the PCE Works logo on the disc and manual and case. It’s very easy to spot.

another AV alternative

1 Like

When is that coming? Also it looks like it won’t work with CD units.

early august
3500 yen is target price

Ah, so 30 some bucks then? That’s pretty good.

They do now, they didn’t when they first started doing this. Specially with the Sapphire boots. I have one of those OG Sapphires, and unless you REALLY know what you’re looking for, you’d think it was legit.

Sure, but that’s a decade ago, and it wasn’t called PCE Works, it was just the same guy. All things by ‘PCE Works’ are clearly branded.

I’m not a supporter mind you, bootlegs are crap and definitely do catch people out, branded or no. But I have bought the ones of games that were never released (eg Space Fantasy Zone, and the games hacked out of Tokemi memorial) and goddamn they are insanely high quality, significantly better than most original releases.

I have had another HuCard that doesn’t work, and R-Type II.

I think PCE is the least reliable system I’ve ever owned in terms of games dying without any obvious physical damage, that’s about four now.

The first one I had die was a Salamander that once worked and then one day just didn’t, and no amount of cleaning the pins helped. The other three have been DOA.

Have you ever tried hitting them with a Staedtler stick eraser? I don’t know what it is about those erasers, but I’ve had a few carts that no amount of isopropyl would make them work, and then I hit them with the eraser and they boot up fine.

Isopropyl alcohol is good as a solvent but sometimes you just need mechanical abrasion to remove gunk. Erasers are usually my first stop, I go until the bits come off clean and then do a pass with alcohol.

Incidentally I’ve heard PCE HuCards are more or less just glob tops inside so yeah no surprise that they aren’t super reliable.

It’s dead, I always try all everything in order carefully. All the way up to metal polish to the point the connectors started to lose their copper colour.

have you tried on another system?

Maybe it’s the console itself?

I tend to get a blank screen on hucards that haven’t been played in a while and sometimes a bit of rubbing from my callused hands sometimes wakes them up

So far out of these hucards in my collection just Side Arms seems to have died as when I turn it on I get garbled sprites and the music just sounds like some kind of scratched record

2 Likes

Thought I post this here since this does seem big news to the community.

How you feel about this well is entirely up to you some people love it others stay away like it’s some plague but quickly glancing at that it looks like none of it is original but all reproductions… so close to the originals maybe…

1 Like

That sounds insane! 800 copies and that’s it?

Fudoh’s bootlegs attract more attention than most because of the of his past actions. Selling releases like this with uncredited fan translations first attracted the ire of the community. Then he started selling bootleg copies of Sapphire to sellers that thought they were real and found in a warehouse clear out. God knows how many bootlegs he has flooded the market with that we don’t know about. Avoid.

Damn I’ve been out of it for a while. All I knew Fudoh for was a ton of old scaler/crt info.

Same here, his coverage of the XRGB Mini played a huge part in me buying one. I forget who but it was someone in this community who gave a “fuck fudoh” response to his name coming up, then I looked into it as sure enough it was him behind all this shady business.

First time I’m hearing this too.

Hey it could all be a load of rubbish made up by someone with nothing better to do for all I know, but that’s what the internet told me!

That stuff is generally understood to be true.

I’m normally not a repro fan, but got the PCE Works releases of games that never got real releases, like Twinbee Returns and Force Gear (ripped from Tokimeki Memorial) and Space Fantasy Zone.

They’re all branded with the PCE Logo and the quality is insane. Significantly above real releases of PCE games.