NES/Famicom Appreciation Thread - Playing With Power, Then and Now

I run the original ‘improved’ and have found it best 90% of the time.

Brighter more distinct colours looks more like the blown out contrast of your average 80s TV via RF IMO. Blue sky rather than purple in Mario.

2 Likes

I recently resurrected an AV Famicom for @GraveyardDuck and did a full recap on it. Really enjoyed this project. It was my first time bringing a console back to life and learned a bit about diagnosing problems.

3 Likes

Well done, Bort! :smiley:

3 Likes

We’re running out of Bort name tags! I love that you picked up on that. Bort is my default For most games.

3 Likes

Yep, @Danexmurder does good work. My Famicom is running like a champ now.

1 Like

Whistles Looks great! Glad we got it back up and running. I love knowing that there’s one more console back in circulation.

1 Like

I just made up a handful of NES expansion audio boards. Posted about it over in my mods thread.

1 Like

My dad always puts in THRILLHO

1 Like

Got any documentation on how those things work? Been curious about all the new expansion audio options.

1 Like

From what I gather these are more or less equivalent to doing it the old-school way as far as audio quality/effectiveness is concerned. With these they are in a much tighter package though and a little bit easier to install.

I hadn’t heard of these until I saw Voultar’s recent NESRGB install video. I thought it was a really nice little package so I looked them up and saw that the boards were available to have produced. I figured I’d make some up so I can put one in my personal NES and then have some left over to install for people or sell as I couldn’t find them up for sale anywhere already.

One cool thing about these boards is that if you decide you don’t like the sound with the default resistor it’s super easy to swap out resistors of other values to dial in the sound you like.

The only info I could find about these boards were on OSH Park where the designs were uploaded.

https://oshpark.com/profiles/Helder

1 Like

That’s awesome! I love it.

1 Like

Pretty much why I was looking for any info on it/what it is actually doing. Not a lot of documentation going around and only saw the stuff from Voultar. Know the big thing when I was getting work done on my NES last time was the stereo mods that were kinda janky and I decided against so wanted to know what the deal was with this before I rushed into it.

1 Like

Ah gocha. Yeah, this only enables the Famicom audio channels. It isn’t one of the stereo or line-out mods. Pretty much just a nicer version of the ol’ bridge two pins with a resistor mod.

Yep think the stereo on The NES mod is cool but it’s really more of a novelty since the NES was mono only.

This is the third copy of Mappy I’ve picked up in the past month, clearly something wrong with me.

Isn’t it cool how the manual for the Famicom Mini version is faithful to the original Famicom (pictured via Namcot Collection on Switch)? That’s some good attention to detail.

3 Likes

The NES classics series in North America on GBA were also faithful to NES originals for the ones I bought.

1 Like

Awesome, so thick colour manuals with lots of backstory for some of the games? I’m still in awe at the manual for NES Zelda II.

1 Like

A couple Contra videos came across social media that I thought were interesting.

The history of speedrunning it. It’s as described and is a chronological run through of the speed run records for the game. I skipped a little in the middle, but overall found it interesting. I’m not into speedrunning - seems more like work than fun - but the little discoveries runners find are interesting. I liked the YOLO jump and leap of faith, lol. Also interesting the flames and spikes in hangar stage are tied to the global game clock. Bear with the video quality at the beginning.

Another is Contra - Behind the Code which covers, well, the code that makes up the game. He talks about what the Konami code does behind the scenes and then some hacking of the weapon fire rate. I skipped the assembly code part, because that’s beyond me.

3 Likes

I literally just watched that video and was fascinated by it. I recommend the ninja gaiden one as well.

You don’t have to speedrun to enjoy Summoning Salt’s history of … videos.
They’re the standard against which other video game histories should be measured.

1 Like

I’m still playing Namco’s Famicom games via the Namcot Collection and I just wanted to say Kai no Bouken is a wonderful game. It’s going to have to be one of the first carts I pick up when I get round to getting a Famicom, I just adored it: Namcot Collection/Namco Museum Archives (M2, B.B. Studio)

Has anyone played Tower of Babel? I honestly can’t figure it out…I’m struggling on the first level!

Also - what does everyone make of Mighty Bomb Jack?

1 Like