Nintendo Switch gets is VR moment! (Labo kit)

I am also very curious to see how BOTW looks and plays in “VR.”

Going from the trailer, BotW is still 30fps (Odyssey is still 60), but a lot fuzzier, so I wonder how they’ll present it to mitigate motion sickness.

Perhaps the presentation of the screen might be more similar to something like a Virtual Boy, so it’s less disorienting. That is, it’ll present a stereoscopic 3D image, but there will be a noticeable black border around it so the game doesn’t completely encompass your vision.

I’d think that would be the case. The FOV is probably pretty narrow.

Thinking about this more, it would be cool to see a VR-mode implemented in Mario Kart.

Specifically, I’d like to see a ‘Double Dash’ style mode, where either the CPU or another player controls the driving (so basically locomotion is on rails for the player using VR) and the player with the VR headset is free to use items (such as tossing shells) in all directions. (This could also work well as a battle mode.)

1 Like

So I got this on launch day. So far I’ve built two controllers: The VR Goggles and the Elephant Mask.

I think it’s excellent - like the other kits the building process is inventive and generally fun to follow, and it’s fun to think of how the controllers work in practice when building them. It was a bit of a revelation when I realised the elephant mask utilised IR stickers on its face for example (more on that later).

The VR is a lot better than I expected it to be too. The resolution makes it feel like you’re playing a Vita game when you first put the headset on but that quickly melts away once the presence of being somewhere else takes hold of you. The blurring from head-tracking is more noticeable, but the pastel-like colours of the Labo universe seems to detract from that anyway. Both of these things surprised me a lot as I remember the Vive feeling low resolution when I tried it.

Yesterday afternoon I was content just playing a subset of the 64 programmable/editable mini games. Everyone I passed it to was impressed and no one felt any motion sickness which is a good sign. The mini games all provide fun, playful experiences, like a UFO crane catcher game, or a game where you manipulate animal mannequins in mid-air with the Joy-Con gyro. The motion controls were convincing, but it was really like playing Wii Motion+ titles with no depth-sensing. You could only point at things and move and rotate them.

It’s the Toy-Con elephant mask that really impressed me. The IR stickers which fit the design of the elephant itself are used to determine depth - with the Joy-Con R IR camera always staring at these reflective dots as you extend and move the trunk with your right hand. It results in a surprisingly responsive and precise way to manipulate an object in 3D space, and Nintendo renders a dotted outline of the trunk so you can see how your arm movement affects it in real time.

The marble guiding game is good fun, too. So far I’ve only played through the first 24 Easy stages but I found it challenging from the get-go, with a new mechanic introduced every five stages. So far there’s been metal platforms that you can move around, trampolines, transparent slides, and a gravity mode to your gun which activates/deactivates the force of gravity. Great stuff.

It looks and sounds so fun. Do you recommend the full 80 dollar kit or the 40 dollar kit? Do you think the extra money is worth it?

I’m so enamoured with the elephant controller that I think it’s a must-have. So at the very least do try and pick up the starter kit and expansion kit 1. The second kit comes with the bird and flying game, hopefully the flying challenges echo Pilotwings!

A week on and I think this is still generally excellent:

• Building the Toy-Con controllers never gets old - the music is funky (in a good way), the instructions’ dialogue is peppy and amusing, and as always it’s really neat seeing how the things work as you put them together. The wind pedal is huge, but also extremely satisfying to put together.

• The Marble Run game is one of the most interesting pieces of experimental software to come from Nintendo in a while. I finished all hundred levels and I was satisfied - the level design explored all these different possibilities that came from the dozens of mechanics introduced throughout the game. The underwater levels are something else as well, as the convincing physics simulation just heightens the immersion, and the slower ball movement literally changes all the rules around.

• The Toy-Con Camera drives home how vital the input device is with these sorts of games. It’s a rather large camera with a twistable but satisfyingly clicky lens, and it all just feels so right using it to zoom in and out as you point at sealife. I just couldn’t imagine doing the same with a general purpose video game controller.

• The Wind Pedal’s game is disappointingly shallow, but the wind pedal itself is brilliant. It really does throw a noticeable gust of wind back at your face when you use it, and while you’ve got the headset on you forget you’re practically pressing a cardboard pedal attached to a massive cardboard fan with your foot. It’s particularly convincing in the Toy-Con bird flight games, as you see your wings flap in sync with your hand movements, and the feel of wind in your face from the pedal (the pedal gives you propellers that let you fly 60% faster, and move about on water)

• That said, I get light nausea in the Toy-Con Bird game. I just feel dizzy whenever I make sharp turns, or descend, or ascend. I guess that’s to be expected given how it’s the only game that keeps you moving at a fast pace despite you being stationary in the real world. I tried it again with the wind pedal and the pinwheel, and it didn’t really make much of a difference. The Bird Dash game is a bit Pilotwings, but there’s less nuance to the controls because movement is tied to head movements. I didn’t find it particularly difficult to get gold medals on all six courses. I think Nintendo is aware that it’s more likely to give players motion sickness as there’s a bell tower in the Bird Island itself that rings every 5 minutes, pausing the game and asking you to take a break and select either continue or quit.

I’ve got the blaster left to build, which I’m rather looking forward to. My advice is to grab the starter set and the expansion kit 1 at the very least. The elephant and camera are essential (Expansion 1), the bird and wind pedal games aren’t as good.

In other VR news there’s a lengthy blog post on BotW’s support over here: Discover how The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild works in VR with Nintendo Labo! | News | Nintendo

Looking at those screenshots and it appears the image will expand to fit your peripheral vision like the Labo VR games which is interesting…

This particular quote also suggests that the VR mode may be better suited to stationary, moments:

It’s possible to switch the display method at any point in your adventure. We recommend taking a look through the VR Goggles when there’s something interesting to see, like a location with a great view, a favourite character, or a favourite piece of equipment.

Got the basic set as it was so cheap. Played through just the basic goggles games with the family yesterday.

Everyone loved it, seems like a very easy ‘my first VR’. The only issues is it isn’t great for smaller kids as some games need you to hold the goggles with one hand and a controller with the other, and the goggles were too big for her to hold well with one hand.

Tried BotW and Super Mario Odyssey first thing this morning as the updates are now live…

BotW is, erm, interesting. As expected it’s more like BotW 3D - there isn’t any head tracking in the menus, nor in-game. The text was more legible than I expected it to be. The 3D is great and the resolution just about acceptable, but the head-tracking is just awful. Because it’s a floating 3D camera it just doesn’t work - it feels like your head movements are just being translated to analogue stick movements. First person aiming fares much better. I didn’t find the framerate to be an issue, though I also noticed the Switch struggles to maintain 30fps in busy areas, dropping to 20 instead. Overall it just feels half-baked, I’d rather they didn’t bother. You’d get just as good a viewing experience with autostereoscopic 3D displays.

Tried a bit of Odyssey too and it’s much better. Total head-tracking support, 60fps, and no moving/floating camera. The actual platforming in these challenges is pretty mundane though.

That’s a bummer but thanks for the impressions

It’s probably best played as normal - as soon as I move my head I feel a lot of dizziness because the camera starts moving as well.

Unfortunately the head movements are tied to motion controls in general, so if you turn them off you lose the rather decent aiming tracking as well.

I’m still looking forward to playing more - and I can’t understate how good Hyrule looks in 3D. You pick out every little blade of grass beneath Link’s feet. But the implementation is clumsy for sure.

Ordered this at £65 for delivery next week, because it is sold out almost everywhere in the UK. Even the Nintendo UK store are sold out, and some retailers are refusing new orders.

1 Like

that’s great!!

Not sure I understand the setup… How?

1 Like

Mine arrived yesterday, had my Tuesday night gaming buddies over tonight and we put together the VR goggles (only, for now) with coffee and snacks.

thoughts

The level of polish on this thing is unparalleled. This is my first Labo and the animated instructions are just insane. Crazy good. Nobody else has this much attention to detail. Apple used to, and I say that with a heavy heart.

Also! you get cool new Nintendo music whilst you’re building. It goes quieter whilst you’re reading/interacting which is a very nice touch. Great sound effects, great animation. And this is just the building guide!

VR looks great, @harborline_765 said it all better than I will do so go read those thoughts earlier in the thread.

I can say that it is way better than it should be at this price range, at this resolution, on this device. I’m never going to buy a Rift or Vive or PSVR so this is just perfect.

We tried a handful of mini games and they all impressed. A whole lot of joy and Nintendo charm.

Right, lots to play and unlock. More thoughts over the next few weeks.

My only worry is where am I going to put these things when I’ve built them? Or do people take them apart and put them back in the box, never to be used again? Hmm.

This is a quality first post.

I was looking at my Labo toys earlier today and was super tempted to dive back into the Blaster game, the Elephant game, and the Underwater Camera game. I think that’s a win - the variety kit had no staying power but these VR controllers and accompanying games definitely do.

Now that I think about it, the Labo developer was behind Rusty’s Real Deal Baseball - in-house Nintendo’s most arcade-like game in ages. That had the Hontendo 4DS, which was basically a VR 3DS that put you into the TV. Would love to see an actual VR take on Real Deal Baseball!