Now that PS5 and Xbox Series X have been (somewhat) revealed, are you excited about next gen?

Well there’s already rumors circulating that all Xbox One production has already ceased & that the new consoles will release sooner than expected. I might sell my One X and buy an SX before the recession hits, whilst I can still afford one.

They should pull the plug on the current machine sooner than later after the transition comes. It worked for them in 2005.

1 Like

I agree with that, the sooner the better.

not actually sure it matters, really. Xbox cares less than ever how quickly people adopt since they’re transitioning to an ecosystem across windows devices rather than Xbox essentially being isolated within MS’s product line.

You’re right that it’s different now, for sure. But the ecosystem is a bit confusing for people who aren’t soaked in this stuff every day. They should go for a cleaner message and just quietly phase out the current boxes from store shelves while talking only about (and marketing) the new line. It appears that’s where they’re headed.

The current Xbox One S is so underpowered too. It needs to disappear.

I was thinking about this again, after seeing the rumours talked about earlier in the thread. So according to A Microsoft insider, they were originally intending to launch Series X in August, with Series S following in October. This does lend credence to the theory that the new machines will show a lengthy transition period where Smart Delivery (and cross buy for digital purchases on PS5) will supply the enhanced versions when they are available, but by and large publishers aren’t targeting the new consoles as a base.

With the exception of the very rare third party title like Resident Evil VIII, PS5 will probably be the place to be to play (a very small number of) games designed specifically for the new hardware feature set. I’m not really interested in the Hollywood-style games PlayStation has transitioned toward focusing at the tail-end of the 2000s, but if they do another stab at VR it should mean more first party variety like we saw on PS2, PSP and Vita (and PS VR) again.

I’m wondering if disc copies of games will become a limited quantity if the digital only, significantly cheaper ‘subscriptions box’ Series S grabs most the Xbox market share. The situation is already less than ideal on Xbox One, with many smaller releases skipping discs entirely. Xbox One and Series X May share the same discs for a while, but when the Xbox One is phased out you have to wonder what the value of the disc drive becomes beyond backwards compatibility.

Maybe to watch UHD BD movies? Not sure. I still buy physical Nintendo games, but have basically gone digital on other systems now. It makes no sense to buy physical for me when it will take up storage space on the internal drive anyway due to mandatory installs.

3DS / Wii U / Switch isn’t like that yet for the most part. You put in the game and it reads from the game itself. It’s not a tremendous difference to be honest - the value of that also isn’t quite that high anymore. Switching digital games, especially on a handheld is always much easier than popping out carts.

1 Like

It’s funny but I’m all digital on switch. The idea of having my entire library on a powerful portable was too enticing. Nintendo may still be behind the curve on digital ecosystems but I feel they’ve come just far enough that I’ll go with digital. Meanwhile, I’ve still bought discs for all the big PS4 games I have, which is really only a few.

I definitely understand the appeal of being all digital on Switch. But those game boxes are just too cool for me. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Not to mention the amazing taste of the cartridges, amirite?

1 Like

I like them with parmesan cheese… (in my head this joke is funny)

Early leaks have forced Microsoft to reveal the Xbox Series S formally, in a hurry:

And PS5 pricing details expected for this week:

I’m curious about the PS5 pricing.

Microsoft discontinued all Xbox One models over the past couple of months, which is why Xbox One was outsold by the Switch 20:1 in America in July. Combine this with complete backwards compatibility support and Microsoft has the luxury of abandoning the previous generation of hardware, and the confusion that would come with selling four models (One S, One X, Series S, Series X). So they can have a base console that starts at $299 while also comfortably targeting 1440p instead of 4k.

Sony’s still selling plenty of PS4 units and can’t abandon that market, and with the PS4 still at $299 and PS4 Pro at $399 I just can’t see they PS5 Digital Edition coming in below $500, unless PS4 gets a price cut. My bet is it’ll be $449 - Digital Edition, $499 - PS5.

So far I have not seen a single software announcement that would compel me to go and buy the new xbox one x or S variant. You need some outstanding titles to convince people to invest in a new platform, so I hope for Microsoft’s sake they have some great surprises to pull out of their hat this holiday season.

Im still playing on a 1080p screen with no intention to upgrade for a few years and completely missed out on Microsoft’s last generation offerings so at that price point it’s worth it to me if only for the BC catalogue. It’s a ridiculously cheap price considering the spec, in the UK I couldnt even buy a roughly equivalent desktop CPU for £250. That alone will bring a huge amount of new players to the platform, even if there are not yet compelling next gen titles available.

Yeah, they seem more like new Surface devices, they’ll continue to play existing games and they are much more powerful, but there’s nothing tangible out there that takes advantage of that yet.

If the Series S had the disc drive I’d get one for backwards compatibility, but it’s a hard sell for me otherwise since I’m not interested in game pass, and my current library of digital games is slim.

It’s a great price. I have been planning on getting a new Xbox since I’m still using the OG Xbox One and this pricing is super tempting but I want something to play my blurays and there’s no drive here.

Still considering it and will need to see how the X is priced against the S in Australia.

Been thinking about the PS5, though realistically I have less than ever for large-scale games so I figured I’d wait until they were more easily available in 2021 (expecting constrained supply at launch) to get one. I’d sell my PS4 and use BC.

BUT … at $299 for the S, I might bite on that instead if I feel like burning money late next winter. I had a 360 and might like to revisit some of those games on my DL list, and I missed out on the entire current Xbox gen. With Gamepass, that could be well worth it, especially if the big new offerings on PlayStation don’t get me hyped to play.

Right now, though, I’m more into what Nintendo is offering, both new and old. With everything going on in the world today, I just need some good old fashioned brightly colored, goomba-stomping fun when I pick up a controller. The real world is getting too close the post-apocalyptic stuff from games.

Same, if it had the drive for BC I would have got one. I have a One S but want to upgrade for x16 AF that BC games get on stronger hardware. I’ll probably pick up a Series X much later down the road but next year I’ll build a new PC since Halo (most MS first-party games?) is multi-plat/cross-play now.

Great price as Tom mentioned.

The price is really great. I was going to get an RTX3080 and say F the next gen consoles but at that price with those specs on a 1440p monitor anyway I might go for it if there are console exclusives worth playing.

Can just keep playing disc games on Xbox One X.