PlayStation Portable |OT| EVERYWHERE JUST GOT BETTER!

Let’s not forget the Power Stone collection!

1 Like

I dug out my PSP go which has turned just over a decade old - my first game downloaded to it appears to be Disgaea just before the end of 2009.

So in 2018 I noticed just a single stuck pixel on my PSP go’s display, which I thought was a pretty obvious blemish given the 272p resolution. Unfortunately over a year later and the problem has gotten even worse.

Zooming in and there seems to be about 10 stuck pixels now:

I replaced the screen in mine with an ebay/china one as it came with some scratches. The quality is good, I can’t tell the difference between the two. So that’s an option if your screen is dying.

Awesome, that’s good to know it’s pretty similar.

I don’t like the PSP go enough to bother, but if something similar ever happens to my 3000 I know what to do…

Yeah, the main use of my go was to output to a TV and use a Bluetooth controller so the screen didn’t matter much to me either.

The ergonomics are worse than I remember. The combination of having the shoulder buttons being too high, the face buttons being too low, the top-heavy weight distribution and thin lower half makes for an incredibly cramped device. And the very slim travel combined with the weak switches on the D-Pad and buttons don’t help either.

Makes the Game Boy Micro and Switch Joy-Con feel like the most comfortable controllers by comparison!

It’s not super comfortable but it’s nice to be able to just pull it out of the dock for a switch-like game experience. Good for both PSP and PS1 in that regard.

When I know I’m going to be doing extended play for either in a specific format I do tend to just transfer saves, though.

Another core!

MAME2000

some games run @60fps such as Ghosts n Goblins

That’s awesome that you have the dock. I wish I picked one up when they weren’t expensive. I could see the appeal there, though already having three PSPs means my saves are too much bother to transfer around (M2 memory stick in the Go vs Pro Duo doesn’t help either).

spent (no joke) about 16 hours over the last three days making new icons and backgrounds for all of my PSX Eboots. fuckin’ yikes.

2 Likes

Yeah I managed to get a 16GB m2 stick a couple years ago for a good price NIB, along with cradle and component cables NIB.

I worked out a good system for transferring saves between PSPs using Microsoft SyncToy on my PC; just plug in both via USB and hit a button.

For PS1 you need to use a PS3 and an also rare/expensive memory card to usb adapter that Sony briefly produced at the start of last gen. Not as slick but takes maybe 5 mins which isnt too bad, nice to use real hardware and a proper DualShock 1 when I know I’ll be in front of a TV for a few hours. There are other less convinient ways using PSP homebrew but it’s even more annoying.

I just checked on this memory card adapter and it looks like it’s going for about $50. I bought one when I got my PS3 in 2008, and essentially just used it once. But I figured they might be hard to come by and get a bit pricey.

I use mine kind of a lot, but I’m a weirdo. Most people would probably just have transferred their PS1 and PS2 saves over to launch-era BC PS3s and thrown it into a drawer.

1 Like

Another new core: Intellivision

By complete chance I noticed an Exit cameo in Densha de Go Pocket (Osaka Loop Line version). Woke my PSP up from sleep mode and it was there at the station - hadn’t noticed before putting it to sleep at that point!

Also: Few things in video games are quite as satisfying as stopping right on time!

Otherwise I’ve mostly been playing PS1 and PC Engine games on my PSP-3000 lately, stuff I’ve been meaning to spend more time with since buying it. Zanac x Zanac is on the cards for the next few days…

1 Like

Some more random PSP photos:

PSP-3000 pixel grid

2 Likes

Zanac Neo is one of the best shmups ever. Absolutely amazing. If you haven’t played it before, you might want to read up a bit about how the various systems works after playing a bit. It isn’t the most intuitive game ever without any instruction, and there’s a lot going on.

Appreciate the encouragement! I’ve had it on JPN PS Classics for a while now but I always got distracted by Super Pang Collection for my arcade fix, I can’t wait to be enthralled by something else now!

ZKeene’s guide is incredibly thorough whenever/if ever you get to a point you want to play for score.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/ps/581466-zanac-x-zanac/faqs/21722

Another new RetroArch core for PSP:

GB & GBC