Plug and Play composite "systems" (2000s)

If you pull the pad in half you have a similar layout to the Quest 2 controllers. Thumbstick on the outer edges under your thumb with buttons on the inside.

2 Likes

Found this series of old photos in my Twitter backup.

1 Like

Is anyone here familiar with Namco and Taito’s Japan-only “Let’s! TV Play Classic” plug & play devices? I stumbled upon some information about those online, and, well, they’re rather peculiar.

So, the games featured on these devices are basically arcade ports, but the interesting thing is that there are also arranged versions that have features that are exclusive to the “Let’s! TV Play Classic” range.

Here are gameplay videos of all four devices.

There was also supposed to be a fifth system featuring Bravoman, The Tower of Druaga and arranged versions of both games, but that one was ultimately cancelled.

5 Likes

Came across this while thrifting earlier:

Carol Vorderman Sudoku

3 Likes

Oh nice, Kiki Kaikai!

1 Like

Theres an handheld version of that too lol, saw it for sale in pound land a few years back!

1 Like

Saw this loose DBZ plug and play unit while at a toy/game collectibles shop today, no idea what the games are like but am guessing they’re probably knock offs of the GBA era 2D Dragon Ball games?

2 Likes

Found a video of the included games:

The pinball one looks pretty fun!

2 Likes

Gaming peaked with this.

1 Like

Not old… but I cracked up when this was advertised to me recently.

2 Likes

lol, what the hell?!

The ‘novelty gift’ category has really gone to more expensive places in recent years, hasn’t it?

There are those people collecting those arcade1up LCD cabinets. I see photos in some gaming groups of people with ten of them. I doubt they play them much. After a certain point they could have gotten a nice candy cab and a few real arcade boards for the actual real thing for less money.

4 Likes

What? What? What? Who would want this? Like, what the heckenridoo?

I see there is also an atari stick one as well. Oh man, what is going on with the world?

2 Likes

Here’s the original plug & play system from 1992.
An atari 2600 clone with 128 built in games.

2 Likes

Never seen this before. Love it.

1 Like

Here in NL they were sold by Dixons for a few years.
The nostalgia nerd made a nice video about the system if you want to have a closer look.

(1) That Weird 90s Game Console | Nostalgia Nerd - YouTube

1 Like

Fellow countryman here!

Yeah, I can remember Dixons selling all sorts of odd systems during that time period. The one that rather piqued my interest back then was the Supervision.

It was a bit rubbish, though, so I’m glad I ultimately hadn’t bought it.

2 Likes

You had Dixons in the Netherlands? I thought they were only in the UK.
Places like Argos used to sell those machines too. I’m sure they were sold under the Systema3 brand in the UK.

1 Like

This always annoys me too - it’s tough to find one that has the stick on the left AND arcade Galaga instead of Famicom.

What we came up with was opening up a dirty one from the thrift store and swapping the inputs!! Added a nicer composite cable and we’re off!!

(we need to print a new sticker!!)

I have a little 9 inch CRT by my desk at work and someone put up a 100k Galaga score today! That’s our current high.

Another cool thing is that these save high scores even when you take the batteries out - it writes the scores to memory better than the dang arcade machines do!! I bought this with a 51k Galaga score by CAR. They’re still on the top five after one day at least!

3 Likes